1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Smartphone users!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shadowed_fury, 9 Jul 2010.

1. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

don't get me wrong, it's an awesome phone :D i'm just a bit down about having to start carrying an ipod again, haha.

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I used a Nokia N91 when it was still regarded as a smartphone (though anything on Symbian isn't REALLY a smartphone, is it?)

3. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Cheers for the review, I just bought it :)

4. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

What you got?
    Nokia N900

What OS does it run on?
    Maemo 5 I think

Fave uses?
    Calling, texting, emailing, browsing, organising. The web browsing experience is awesome - the built in browser is amazing.

Battery life?
    Solid, I can get two-three days out of a charge if I keep use minimal, but lots of wifi use requires a sht load of battery so one charge a day is necessary.

Other thoughts
    Trying to get the navigation app Mappero (aka Maemo Mapper) to work - it's a bit fiddly to get set up and running, but could be a real value add if I could figure out how to use it properly. Any tips would be appreciated!

Also, wish there were more apps on the phone, although the catalogues are pretty full, I'd always appreciate more, haha!

5. roundyz

roundyz What's a Dremel?

There are rucks of apps, decent ones too. Not just interfaces to websites! There could be more native games though. I use mine as a mobile router, and for doing a bit of coding on the go. It's just kick-ass.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2010
  6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What you got?
    iPhone 4.

What OS does it run?
    Need you ask? :) iOS 4.

Fave uses?
    As a PDA, with Exchange linked NHS.net calendar and email. Covering 4 hospitals across two Trusts with secretarial support in a fifth hospital in a third Trust (don'cha just lurve NHS bureaucracy!) it is an absolute must for my job. I also use it for my personal emails, mobile web browsing and eBaying and some light gaming. Vector Tanks Cheesecake! Evernote is also quite handy, as is the ability to hook it to my car stereo for some decent tunes. The iPod function is least used however.

Battery life?
    Two and a half days with everything on and normal use. Three if I hold back and economise.

Other thoughts?
    Antenna problems are grossly exaggerated --it has better call reception than my iPhone 3G. Build quality is phenomenal, and the high res screen a real boon when trying to squeeze whole web pages on such a tiny screen. Speed is incredibly fluid and smooth. Camera is incredible: good resolution and much improved focal range for almost macro shots (good for scanning text).

Minor gripes: would have preferred a micro-USB connector to Apple's proprietary plug. Back panel should have been rubber or a nice real leather. Android OS offers a superior lock/home screen with more customisation options --Apple could learn from that. But overall I'm very pleased with it.

Last edited: 25 Jul 2010
  7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I have another question regarding Android phones. Do/can providers lock features on them ? I asked earlier in this thread if it was possible to make your own ringtone on the Desire because on regular phones the providers over here like to block some features to make the user pay for them as a service (ringtones are a good example). I don't think I ever heard anyone saying some features were blocked on their iPhones but I have no idea when it comes to Android since nobody has one !

thanks

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If your carrier has locked out certain features I can't imagine it being that much effort to re-install android (or whatever equivalent you do to a smartphone).

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Okay. I really have no idea how a smartphone work.. meaning I didn't even know I could reinstall the OS. I knew about resetting an iPhone but even then I'm not sure what that implies. Anyway. I guess I'll have fun messing with it :D

10. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

What you got?

HTC Touch Pro

What OS does it run on?

Windows 6

and android (just checking what's the fuss about, i like it, much better the windows mobile.)

Fave uses?

text msgs, email, browsing teh internets and calling.

Battery life?

depends on what i use obviously, 2 days - 5 days.

11. dex2407

dex2407 What's a Dremel?

What you got?
    sony xperia x10

What OS does it run?
    android (1.6 at the mo 2.1 upgrade soon)

Fave uses?
    everything phone, text, organizer, camera is amazing. internet, music, sat nav. apps are getting better, my favorite at the moment is cardio trainer, which records your workout. i use it when im on my bike it records time, distance and overlays your route on google maps.

Battery life?
    day of general use if lucky (its biggest downfall)

Other thoughts?
    i really like it apart from the battery, i use google and gmail anyway so its fits in well. battery is shocking, just had an update and the screen is a lot more responsive. just waiting for the next update to 2.1.

i have had loads of phones, symbian, wm6, and just plain phones. never had an iphone never really been interested in them, don't like itunes for a start. android is impressive and i can only see it getting better. ill probably just stay with it now.

12. dex2407

dex2407 What's a Dremel?

not sure if they can with android. but even if they could i have an app where i can download and upload ringtones for free, from zedge i think. my x10 does mp3 ringtones as well.

its pretty open mine isn't even network locked. i haven't noticed any restrictions or things missing. SE have put in timescape and mediascape and vodaphone have a couple things on there but you don't have to use them.

13. Shippo

Shippo What's a Dremel?

Exactly the same as you. The phone is excellent. I have had many phones before, but this is easily one of the best phones I've ever used, especially with the update the other day.
    The battery life is it's biggest downfall, but other than that it's brilliant.
    Loads of apps make this phone really fun to use too, and hopefully with the Android 2.1 update soon, things will keep getting better.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Just rooted my Moto Dext & installed 2.1. Much better now.

15. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Ringdroid is probably the best ringtone app for Android, there shouldn't be any problems with that sort of thing. Carriers can have bits removed from their ROMs though, Orange chopped out Google Talk from my Desire for example. There's a bit of faff involved in getting a generic ROM loaded up at the moment but it's easy enough on most Android phones.

16. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

What you got?
    Nokia E71

What OS does it run on?
    Symbian S60 3rd Edition something or other

Fave uses?
    Surfing net, checking e-mails, making calls, occasionally bustin' out some 'choons!

Battery life?
    Epic, a 1500mAh battery helps it to last at least a week with low-moderate usage. Heavy 3G use (i.e. at least 3+ hours at a time) does knock off a couple of bars though.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Samsung Galaxy S though (been looking for unlocked phones on ebay since it was rooted), and am awaiting the release of CyanogenMod 6 for it :)
    EDIT: Just bought it, will be arriving on Friday :D

Last edited: 29 Jul 2010
  17. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

i've got a bold 9700 and like it for the most part since it's work supplied and i don't have to pay for it. But right now it's dead so i can't really comment on the performance.

18. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

19. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

t-mobile have locked out skype on mine.

only program ive noticed so far.

ive used ringdriod and it doesnt work on my HTC desire every time i chop a song or whatever the ringtone/notification is broken/glitches/skips doesnt matter which files i used or what i set it to.

is there a ringdriod alternative ?

20. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Strange, it works perfectly on my Desire. They did release a new version a few days ago, did you use that one? Not sure if there are any decent alternatives really.