1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoking whilst driving

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Jamie, 14 May 2007.

1. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

While ever morons insist on driving along with their windows wide open playing music I've no desire to listen to at a volume that it's impossible to ignore I shall continue to throw lit cigarettes at them in the hope that I'll see a fireball suddenly appear as they head towards the horizon.

We've been smoking for over 400 years, stop being so bloody pious. :sigh:

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You're forgetting cpemma, it's the renaissance of the puritan. Except this time we can't cart them off to the USA :(

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Time for the "B" ship :D

Thanks for clarifying that point, yoda :)

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

A lot of the points you made spec have made, and continue to make, positive contributions to our country.

Smoking is just useful for taxes, wasting money and putting strain on the NHS.

But so is overeating.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Look, perhaps we can avoid the whole "smoking sux" thing yeah? It's been done to death and most people just ignore any facts presented anyway, so there's not really any point(feel free to PM me if you'd like to argue specifically about smoking).

The issue here is that people want to ban smoking while driving, when there are already laws that counteract driving irresonsibly(driving without due care and attention, reckless driving, etc). If someone would like to counter that specific point that I have just made, please do. Otherwise, whats the point in the thread at all other than for people to keep shouting about how bad smoking is or isn't?

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I won't give an opinion on smoking, but...::

In a car, its just as bad as eating or being on the phone, and if they are banned then why isn't it?

Also, howmany heath fires a year are cause by the tossing of ***-ends out of the window whilst driving?

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

I think there have been some traffic accidents that were related to smoking around here.... and there is also the littering and fires that happen because of tossed *** ends.

It should be recommended that people don't smoke in their cars, as they do with those adds about to much salt or fat, but baning it makes the country look like a "nanny state", it would be like banning people from having sex because of some disease or genetic deformation, it should be illegal to dump the ash and the *** ends out of the window, but hey, what policeman notices?

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Why should it be illegal to dump ash out of a window, when it is legal to dump the burnt remains of fossils out of a car exhaust?

9. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that there are just as many accidents from people messing with their radio or messing with the temerature knobs as there have been due to smoking. Personally, I use my ashtray in my car to put my cigarettes out (ashes go out the window unless it's raining) but I'll flip a few out my window if my ashtray overfills (it gets emptied every tank refill.)

10. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

I'm an ex smoker and I smoked while I was driving. IMO I don't see it as a distraction compared to phoning, as previously mentioned it's the conversation that's the distraction rather then the holding the phone itself. TBH I found searching for a decent radio station more distracting then holding a ciggy which requires pretty much zero concentration since it's done subconsciously.

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

they both get in your face and nose, but one is important to make the car go, the other is not so important.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Actually, a lot of cars these days output air that contains less pollutants than went in. :p

13. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

My car farts out daisies.

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Doesn't change the fact that you're getting CO2 out, which is harmfull to humans and the planet, in excessive quantities.

Importance is a personal opinion DXR, you say that a car is important, I could argue that you can do fine on a horse. Everything we do is an end to our own happyness(unless you're self-destructive, but I ignore those people), you cannot judge one means to be allowable and another not, for everyone, just because it is the case for you.

15. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Company cars are not excluded! They are classed as apublic place, due to the fact many people could drive them.

I had a 'will you be within the law' pack thru from our local council for my business. Its funny really, bus shelets are included in the law if they have 3 walls and a roof.

Regards
    GiGo

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I have no problem with it provided they don't flick it out the window or stink up a traffic jam.
    Mobiles phones are dangerous because having a conversation and driving is extremly distracting and hard, ciggies don't require that much concentration.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

...until the hot ashes fall into your lap.

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Dude, the ashes that are actually going to fall of their own volition aren't hot. By the time a cigarette is dropping ash without the smoker doing it, what falls off will be cool.

I mean, driving with children in the back of a car who shout, scream, move, and attempt to do everything they can to get your attention is so much more dangerous than smoking is. Of course retaining a sense of proportion would be far too much to ask for here.....

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It is not so much how hot the ashes are, as how hot the driver thinks they are. ;)

As for kids, you know that I think they should travel in the boot. :D

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yeah, but any competant driver is going to be focussing on the road, and not their lap. The cool ash that's just landed on them isn't going to be noticed.

Like I said already, we have laws for dealing with incompetant or dangerous driving, we have no need for further rules.