1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony finally outs PS3 at E3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 9 May 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. howzie

howzie What's a Dremel?

Quick guess - £349.99 for 20GB, £419.99 for 60GB.

3. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

probably more like £399 and £499 which means there will be a booming ebay trade shipping them from the states.. and is that november this year?? put me down for £5 that it'll be late...

4. Hans Voralberg

Hans Voralberg What's a Dremel?

I dont think it's gonna be late but £400 is just way too expensive.

5. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Come to think of it, it's starting to remind me of the Philips CDi.

6. UnkleRosco

UnkleRosco What's a Dremel?

"those prices convert straight to Euros" by this do u mean €499/€599??

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Err... 599 Euro (EUR) = 762.743 US Dollar (USD)... need I say more?
    That's ridiculous! Or you pay 499 Euro (EUR) = 635.407 US Dollar (USD) to not get HDMI?! Sure... :eyebrow:
    Nice one Sony!

8. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

"The 20GB version will lack a memory card reader, WiFi and a HDMI output. The lack of HDMI, in particular, is bad for the consumer - since it will mean the PS3 will be very little use as a Blu-Ray player, one of its major touted features. The 60GB version will have one, however."

What bothers me about this is that the "60GB version will have ONE" -- at least several months back, they were saying each PS3 would be able to run 2 HDTV's simultaneously I think -- which I think would be necessary if you're gonna have 7 people playing on one console. Methinks you'd need more than one HD connection to do that....

9. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Crazy money.

The Sony presentation at E3 hasn't gone down to well either, even with Sony fanboys. Certainly nothing really impressed me, with the exception of Heavenly Sword.

Looks like the Xbox 360 is on a level playing field this generation.

10. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Real Hardware?

From what I read about the Final Fantasy XIII demos, there was "real time and pre-rendered footage."

Does that imply that Sony now has real hardware inside the PS3 case, or was the "real time" footage likely produced by something more in line with a full-sized computer tower?

11. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

HUmmm.... thats an expensive ticket with no HDMI....

Whats the point of blu-ray if you cant display at the 1080p settings.
    kinda makes the 499 one a wash.

What other outputs does it offer?

12. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I'll take 3 of them!!!... :eyebrow:

What a pisstake!

Thats crazy money regardless of the tech in them, you just cant expect your average consumer to fork out that sort of money on a games console... thats more than half a months wages for some people :blah:

Not that I was gonna buy one anyway but I rather spend that on my pc :hip:

13. riggs

riggs ^_^

Damn! Even the cheaper one is expensive considering what you actually get for your money.

[edit]
    Found this on IGN:
    [​IMG]
    ...man, you're not kidding when you say it's virtually identical to the current controller (which imo, is a complete pos - I get RSI just looking at the damn thing!). I mean, this is Sonys' 3rd console, but the pad has remained almost the same on each...

ooh, and apparently this motion-sensing wotnot isn't that great...no where near as effective/accurate as the Wii pad.

Last edited: 9 May 2006
  14. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

There is absoloutly nothing original in this console, they have stolen the good ideas from MS/Ninty.
    I agree on the thing on the RSI from the controllers, they are so very horrid. It looks alot like MS are leagues ahead in terms of features per £ from where im stood as well as their online service being far more developed at this stage.
    I've stood by my guns so far in the fact that I feel the Xbox360 is destined to do very well this generation and having spoken to a few people I know who were waiting for the PS3 they have already said that they will now buy an XBOX due to the price. Only the most die-hard fans will purchase it at this price and I really feel that Sony will revise their stand on this before release.

15. RebelSage

RebelSage What's a Dremel?

I thik the proof is still going to be actually playing on the system and seeing what happens...it's alright for others to cast their opinions back and forth but it has to be the end user that makes the decision to love or hate it..I don't the being in the console game this long and leading for so long that..Sony will flop on PS3..I personally I am going to get both 360 and 2 PS3s...but theyre isn't one game so far for the 360 that pll here are just like YESSS!!! that's hott...hopefully after this week at E3 one such game will surface, maybe Gears of War. The 360 needs a Halo type hit for ppl to really jump all over it that hasn't happened yet..and I think with the november release of the PS3..you might see things start to change. As for the controller I figured the dual shock would be gone since the case..but who cares..many ppl i have spoken to were hoping they did keep the PS2 style controller ..it's great the way it was, don't screw with it.

16. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Wow 499 cheaper than I expected, but I think I'll grab the 599 version for the HDMI.
    Just on a side note it costs around 599 for a BluRay player alone, so I don't know what you ppl are bitching about.
    I think I'll pick up 2 at launch. This is a steal 599 for both a BluRay player and HD gaming console I'm very pleased.
    And plus FREE ONLINE service, it just doesn't get any better than this.

17. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

In terms of pure technology, I've always thought that Blu-ray and the PS3 were both superior and more innovative than HD-DVD and the 360 -- in simple terms, Blu-Ray's got more data per layer, and the PS3's Cell processor is more of a leap forward than the 3-core chip in the XBox (admittedly, the PS3 advantage over the 360 is a slim one and easily debatable). However, with the DRM debacle, the timing, and the price difference, I'm betting that HD-DVD wins. Why does sony keep shooting itself in the foot?

Who wants to bet that by the time the PS3 comes out, the Xbox-360 plus it's HD-DVD add-on will be less than $600 total? If so, there goes all the advantages Blu-Ray started with.

Take into account that the 360 will have been out for nearly a year, getting the bugs out and coming down in price too, and we're looking at a PS3 that better REALLY prove itself fast for anybody to care at such a steep price. There'll be gamers out there still wanting to buy one, but at twice the likely price of the XBox by November, there'll be more gamers likely to question the purchase.

18. Cavedweller

Cavedweller What's a Dremel?

I'm with Kaze22.
    I'm definetly gonna pick one up at launch. The expensive one.

#17 You say if x360 + HD-DVD add-on = 600$ or less, HD-DVD wins? I beg to differ.

The xbox has two very good reasons for this. It lags 1080p and HDMI.
    While 1080p might seem redundant now, I guarantee you It will be a must i 5 years, when these consoles still are around. They _must_ have enough features to make thier lifespan reasonable, and without 1080p and HDMI I can't see how the x360 is that.

Sorry for my spelling errors, but english really isn't my 1st language.

Last edited: 9 May 2006
  19. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I'll quote myself on this one.

20. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

guess what...sony can stick its ps3 for $600 I can buy a mid
    range pc or buy a x360 and have $200 left over for games!!!
    anyone that pays that much for a console is nuts!!!

Tags: Add Tags