1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

i have an idea for my modding project and wanted to use letters, not clock. I'm sure there must be the place selling them, will have to look deeper..

2. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Apparently the Go/No Go meeting would be early today US hours, in roughly 2hrs iirc (10am, west coast i'd assume) and Travis Day said the whole process from 'Go' to 'Available to download' would be about 5hrs.
    So that would put it at 11pm, give 1h for the meeting and theres a chance it could be tonight, but that all depends on what QA have found overnight. If theres bugs, it might be fine, if its game killing bugs, we'll have to wait a while longer :(

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Thing is, that's what was said about yesterday - meeting in the morning to decide, then go from there. CIG didn't bother to publish the update about the result of the meeting (and bugs) until the end of the working day in LA - which was in the middle of the night here.

So, basically, I see two ways this works.

1) Go declared sometime between 10-11am, meaning launch late tonight UK time, or in to the early hours of the morning.

2) No go declared between 10-11am...and CIG sit on their hands again and don't tell anybody until the last minute.

Regardless, whenever AC launches, it'll be either late evening (earliest is about 9pm) or in the middle of the night UK time.

4. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Yeah, they're a very strange bunch it has to be said.

Ben had been on twitter saying something like there wasnt any bugs but theres still a while to go, before late last night basically saying it wont be happening, and eventually a CIG post saying just that.
    It really shouldnt be that hard, when they have a meeting to make a decision for that day, in the morning, to have that announced shortly after, along with what is holding them back. Instead its about 6hrs afterwards. All very odd and it basically people keep having false hope.

And i'd say Midnight is roughly when it *might* release, whatever day that would be.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah, the updates have been bizarre. Chris said updates every day...and then we didn't get any over the weekend despite CIG being at work. Then, it would have taken a few minutes to put up a No Go message as soon as the meeting concluded in the morning on Monday, with a list of the new blocker bugs, which would prevent the absolute frenzy in the forums (and the Europeans wondering if they should go to bed or not). They could have then done an evening post at the close of day with where they'd gotten to on the bugs.

Instead, they let a load of nonsense dribble out over Twitter, getting people's hopes up, before finally dashing them right at the end.

6. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

I think that at this point they might as well pull it until the weekend, it will give them a change to properly test the current build and iron out any remaining bugs. Better that than trying to rush it out the door now.

7. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Never in the history of gaming have so many man hours been devoted to analysis of the delightfully decisive (sounding) "go/no go" decisions.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I think they're going to try and have it announced on the final WMH which releases today - a fitting end for the show to be honest.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Well you all don't sound as desperate as the people on the official forums do as those guys are basically begging for disappointment.

Personally I'll take it when its ready. Don't rush the game is what I'd be saying even if that means its another month before this is out I'd personally rather have the module the way it should be with no bugs so nobody can complain at them than have them launch it half finished.

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It'll arrive when it arrives, but CIG haven't been great at the whole communication thing. General Chat on the RSI forums is, however, utterly hilarious.

The way I see it, this is an alpha, and always was going to be an alpha. I expect bugs, but CIG are right in waiting to release it without bugs that literally stop you from playing the game. I don't expect it to be a fully polished release though.

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ha ha, agreed! :D

Yeah, I mean, for me, what's another few days, it doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things. Anyone baying for blood (no one here) needs to get another hobby and not be so emotionally invested in the release of a computer game.

12. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

I'd say most of us ARE desperate, just not unreasonably so. Thats the main difference.

I expect bugs, but i think its unreasonable to expect the community to accept a release filled with bugs which make the game unplayable, so i dont really see the point in downloading it, getting all hyped up, getting shot and then not being able to respawn, or it crashing each time that happens etc. So if they need more time for that to happen, so be it.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

chatroll going ballistic after Ben Lesnick said go/nogo meeting delayed "until later in the day".

14. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Someone wake me up when it's released please.

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

CIG just keep on trolling.

EDIT: And the RSI site goes down. Oops.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2014
  16. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

your right I apologise, I'm kind of talking myself in to not caring but I do,

two things I want to say a statement and a question which I guess is hard to answer but.

I am much more looking forward to playing in a team on the big ships and getting into interesting situations than going alone in a tracker hornet or ghost missions, I think from playing with some great guys in Arma 3 I have learnt about doing things with a leader and it counts for a lot to do your bit but then there is always those times when you have to use your independent common sense,

Question I have which is obviously impossible to know but interesting to think about.

Star Citizen is having several programmers and staff to dev the product.

1- How many human man hours has it currently had spent on it?

2- If we had a time machine and could roll forward to a date and time when the FULL game has been released and patched say twice or three times, as a faction, or in short how many man hours will it take to get the product to that state.

So say to date 10,000 (ten thousand) hours have been spent, what kind of ratio or amount of hours will it take to get the full product done?

This is "just", the DFM and you have a good few people working on it for some time now, I'm not saying they are slow of course they are not but to get the full product.. its accurate to say 2016 which sounds a long way off but man, to make a complicated deep proper space game... they are not machine code building the game addressing the hardware with no HAL etc but its not easy it seems.

Its like it would be easier to rebuild the san Francisco bay bridge than to try to build the game people are dreaming of.

Imagine if they tried to do some thing difficult as well like meshing two engines together like space engine and cry engine or some thing, this is one dev environment right?

17. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

NP, RB. I get negativity about some things, but lately its felt trollish rather than concern or just being fed up of delays.

I dont suppose anyone could really give an answer to the hours spent, as its not like we can say they're a team of 100 people and they've been at if for 18mo, they started as a very small group, and they've been constantly hiring ever since.
    The DFM is the first of a few big hurdles they'll face, its not really much of a surprise that its come with delays.
    Part of me thinks they're largely to blame, as they're the ones saying its almost ready, almost done, will be released on... etc. But at the same time, i think they're also bowing to community pressure by giving dates and while we should all know and accept these can never be concrete release dates, we all get annoyed when they're not met. Its like CIG need to announce a cut-off date, not a release date. The date where features wont be implemented, and all that will be worked on then is QA & bug squashing and the only time theres a date given for release is when they know what they have has been approved.

Its not inconceivable that this is 3yrs from being finished, i think 2yrs but its a 'when its done' sort of game, and at least we'll be able to give large chunks of that a go for a while when they're available.

18. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Oh, also... Another Org approached my main org (VIA - mainly BF but we play other stuff) over the weekend about a 'merge', and they were told to push off, but they also seem like they have a very strong community of sim gamers and seem like they'll be a decent force.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/ADI
    http://atlasdefenseindustries.com/

They seem very teamwork orientated, which i'd imagine is what most organisations will be looking for, but these guys seem like they're planning on being very coordinated, without being restrictive of people having freedom to do what they want too.
    Not sure if you're already in an Org, possibly BitSec, but they seem interesting, and i would have voted for our (VIA) org to merge into them, however im *told* they basically wanted us to close down our 'clan', which is more than simply a SC Org, even if its tiny and fairly insignificant.

It was the cooperation, or more specifically, being able to be inside someone elses ship and perform a duty, which is what initially made me interested in Star Citizen. All i knew upto then was the 37-38m post which was on the bit-tech news section, and it looked great but it was a space sim, and i dont do space. The fact that i wasnt needed to fly, in order to be helpful, got me interested in it, and i quickly got hooked and the last 3 months ive ended up spending far far more than i'd expected, bought a load of hardware with SC in mind or exclusively for it, and i cant wait, im even looking forward to flying myself (whether im any good we'll soon find out!).

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Nobody can answer the "man hours" part, because that's impossible. However, I think the importance of Arena Commander needs to be stressed. AC is the Star Citizen engine, full stop. It's why DFM was delayed from December 2013 - the engine needs to be rock solid before development can continue on all the other aspects of the game.

Essentially, without a solid AC module launch, nothing else can happen. However, once AC launches (and that means the netcode is basically sorted, etc etc) the other 'modules' are, for want of a better phrase, dropped in on top, with the main development cost being spent in artwork, designing levels and scripting things like the economy. I'm not saying these things will be quick or easy, but CIG won't be having to deal with writing the engine for the game all over again.

I think CIG have somewhat had their bum bitten in terms of their handling of the AC launch/delays. They've made statements they haven't kept (24 hourly updates, yet radio silence for over two days), are very very late in publishing statements and generally not doing what they said they would. I would prefer them to set a date, say in a week, knowing they can make that date with time to spare, and keep that deadline, rather than endlessly pushing the launch back day by day until they are ready.

Co-operation is the key to the game - but I don't see why some orgs are going round trying to demand mergers that close other orgs down. Why not just fly together? I'm sure BitSec is up for doing joint missions.

20. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

ADI were talking about offering proper flight training in the build up, formations, reading situations, knowing when to retreat or call for backup, and stuff like that. Then in the PU they plan to hold a sector/node for resources.
    Im not sure if they'd be hostile against others coming into the area, but they'd be hostile to anyone trying to claim it for themselves.

The difference is going to be coordination/organisation, i'd love to play with people who understand combat, and the difference between working together, and working as a team.

A few months back our BF team took on a proper eSports team, not a well known one but known in eSports i guess.
    First round at Locker, and they basically slaughtered us. 2 people watching over 3 entrances to 1 flag, and 3 moving between the other 2 flags. They were far better players, i've never died so fast, so frequently, such was their accuracy and their hold on the flag.
    We've played them a twice since, and beat them in the last one, and the difference was instead of charging around from flag to flag, shooting anyone along the way (and running into their bottlenecks) we were coordinated and studied the map for strategic advantages, just as they'd done to us the first time.

Everyone can do what we were doing, just running, gunning & dying. Okay, it wasnt quite as noobish as that, but it was far from strategic, but when there was strategy, we got results.
    They (ADI) struck me as a group of ppl who knew how to be strategic to gain an advantage, and get better results.
    I dont know 100% that they wanted us to shut down though, because we were nicely chatting and when it came to 'what is your intention then' they moved to a private area, something which really didnt impress me, as anything you have to say about the team should be fine to say around others you've known for years.

I plan to affiliate with them, and then hopefully put our org in the same way, but i dont think they're interested in training affiliates, only true ADI members, which is a shame really cos i'd love that opportunity.