Multi Starfield [Sep 6th 2023]

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 13 Jun 2021.

1. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

That really sucks, hopefully it doesn't happen on your reattempt.
    Fingers crossed they've got such bugs at the top of their list for the next patch/hotfix since it's quite a major one.

I'm sure there's been bugs in my game, but the only obvious thing I've noticed was the chameleon armour not unstealthing, or even better only unstealthing part of my suit... resulting in me being a floating head until the character died or I reloaded.

2. keef247

keef247 Modder

Loving the Natural LUD/EXE mod's currently, have been playing a fair bit of the main story and doing all the temples.
    I've genuinely had no issues either, get some funky rubberbanding from companions catching up but I wouldn't call that a glitch?

For anyone wanting to see more variety of what is possible, this is definitely a concise look at the game, wether you agree with his 'opinion of the game' this is worth a watch just to broaden your mind on what's possible.

IMHO 'most' reviewers have barely played anything other than the main story, then just right it off straight away as samey/bandwagon hop, as this guy seems to be the first person to actually mention the depth of the side quests/factions/stealth etc etc... And he's only 80 hours in and still discovering stuff!

Also might be worth watching for anyone who's bored and wondering what else is on offer.

Definitely watch it all the way through as he expands on a lot.

3. keef247

keef247 Modder

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

:hehe: "'The 'Rosie' from The Expanse".
    Plus by his own admission he's 80 hours in because he's spent that time arranging windows on his spaceship (sure there's an OS-related gag in there somewhere...).

I did watch it through, but it's an early (pre-release?) review from the look of it and doesn't mention some of the game-breakers, including a rather well-known one that prevents you "appropriating" ships for your fleet. Don't mean to knock it too hard as I do want to like this game and am intending to come back to it, but I think it's going to sit on one side for now until some of the issues that might potentially cause a reload or restart with the loss of many hours have been fixed.

Whilst I am trying to stay a bit neutral, I am starting to see it as not being as deep as is being touted - the chap above honestly didn't help with his focus on scanning planets, digging for rocks and talking for hours at a party under the pretext of espionage, unforts.

5. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I've now played about 20 hours and I've got mixed feelings.

Ths short version is: it's Skyrim in space.

I actually feel like there's less of it than Skyrim. Being able to run around a single giant world and discover things felt "fuller" to me than running around multiple planets with only 2 or 3 things of interest on each.

I do very much enjoy space dog fights though.

The controls are terrible.

The menus are terrible.

Everything feels very much like it's been designed for consoles first and pc as a much poorer sibling.

You need at least a dozen mods to make it playable and fix basic things like the UI.

But the core content of the game is very good, great stories, well fleshed out side stories, tons of content, and excellent voice acting.

It's a 7/10 sort of game for me, it's very much like Skyrim and Fallout 3 no more, no less.

Byron C and Sentinel-R1 like this.
  6. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Completed it after around 75 hours - now onto New Game+. This was actually an accidental completion as I didn't realise that completing a certain quest would essentially end the game. I probably had about another 100 hours of side mission content to get through...

When you finish the game, you get to keep......

You get Starborn armour and their ship. You also keep your current level and all your skill tree upgrades, but are back to zero cash, zero ships and kicked back to New Atlantis to start all over again...

Having a break from it for a while, as completely Starfielded out - but it was (for me, at least) hugely enjoyable, despite the few bugs and glitches.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. keef247

keef247 Modder

Yeah as I say I was more watching it for the broader spectrum of highlights for stuff you can do/might not know you can, so thought I'd share it FWIW to anyone else not aware of some of the things, but yeah I agree haha he has been wasting time! The stealth looks cool though!

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I am enjoying it, and I am finding it quite compelling. I try to avoid pre-release hype wherever possible, so I kinda got what I was expecting: a Bethesda game in space. Although surprisingly, I am enjoying the shipbuilding stuff far more than I thought I would do. I'm currently grinding out the piloting and shipbuilding skills as much as I can by taking the (seemingly randomly generated) "go to this planet and take out the bad guy ships" quests from mission boards. I'm using Deimos Shipyard at the moment, since they also happen to have a fairly decent array of ship components available, but if there's any other good locations to pick up these quests then I'm all ears (or... y'know... eyes, since I'll be reading your reply, not listening to it...). Deimos Shipyard is a bit of a PITA because it's a station, I have to dock every time instead of being able to fast-travel from space straight to the relevant area of a settlement. I can't do the Vanguard stuff though, because I'm already part-way through some of the "big" Vanguard quest lines - I won't be able to get anything else from Tuala at the moment. EDIT: Never mind, I can just build a mission board at my outpost...

I definitely agree with that sort of “empty” feeling. Yes it’s a freakin’ vast galaxy map, but if the really interesting stuff is contained to half a dozen or so major settlements then what’s the point of having so much emptiness? I know there’s POIs on and around shedloads of planets, but they’re starting to have very generic “Skyrim radiant quest in a dungeon you've seen a hundred times already” kinda feel to them.

I was reading a Reddit thread the other day which suggested that it felt like there was a huge amount of content cut from the game but we still have the vestigial remnants of it. Your ship’s fuel capacity and grav drive capability are your main limiting factors in terms of how far you can jump, but you never have to worry about refuelling. Your fuel tanks never need to be topped back up. Outposts feel pointless when it’s possible to amass enough wealth to simply buy the raw materials for anything you might want to build. If however your ship actually consumed fuel when you jump and didn’t just magically refuel itself, then there would be a need for you to build fuel waystations along the way as you explore further and further out. Exploration of the farthest reaches would require a lot more strategic planning than “grind out piloting and shipbuilding skills, get the best grav drive, slap on a big fuel tank”. However, and unlike the rest of this paragraph this part is actually my opinion, it’s entirely possible that these systems were indeed designed but dropped during development because they simply weren’t fun. It’s also possible that they could be added back in some kind of “survival”-type mode in a future DLC.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2023
    keef247 likes this.
  9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I've managed to grind out ship building and piloting skills and also really enjoy the ship building and design elements.

I find myself at the red run ship yard most often.

It actually kind of annoys me that I can't get all types of basic ship components in any one place, can totally muck up your design.

Most irritating is that there doesn't seem to be anyway to see inside the habs before you build them and physically visit them...how do I know which I want?!?

There's some really good mods that make the snapping easier in the ship builder.

There's also some mods that allow you to skip docking animations which massively speeds up visiting space stations.

One of my favourite mods just speeds up airlocks, it's invaluable!

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I got to level 4 starship design earlier. Turned out it was pretty easy: just add a bunch of cosmetic stuff, accept the changes, go back into the ship editor, delete the stuff you added, add different stuff - rinse and repeat until the skill challenge is complete.

Piloting turned out to be pretty easy too. Taking “go to this system and kill this pirate” missions often involve running into other bad guys besides just the ones I’m after. In just one run I ended up getting through 7 or 8 ships.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Have you tried building this ship? :lol:

Byron C likes this.
  12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Like Gunny H says - improvise, adapt and overcome!

goldstar0011 and wyx087 like this.
  13. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

So this is my first of this type of game, jumped in because it's sci-fi and a mate had it on his xbox x when I went round and it looked alright, I'm not 10 hours in and I'm kinda hooked!
    I initially set out to just do the main mission as I've other game sot play but nope, I've already done side quest after side quest cause I'm a sucker and curious.

I need to now get into ship building and modding all the creating stuff as I've avoided all that for now.

I however think I was once a victim of the disappears gear bug when you store weapons in the weapons storage, read about it on reddit after, luckily reloaded a save and lost only 40 mins of playtime but now I'm anxious as hell about using ship storage, anyone know anything about this?

14. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Possibly one of the two that were patched out on 25th. Under the ship section

goldstar0011 likes this.
  15. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Aha, well I've put stuff in storage and putting stuff in the racks then saving and going to test it

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah I’ve heard about that, and I’d be wary even after the latest patch.

I noticed a while back that stuff stored in a armoury crate kept getting shifted back to the ship’s main cargo hold whenever I made modifications. I got annoyed with having to shuttle stuff back & fore, so I just gave up and left it all in the main cargo hold.

Side note: who the hell thought it would be a good idea to have freakin’ massive “cargo hold” hab modules for your ship that don’t actually give you any more cargo space?! Glad I spotted that before I wasted any money on one!

17. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

are there any deals available on this yet? £60 seems a bit steep - but want to get it on steam ideally so i can try it out on the steamdeck.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Not from what I can see, sadly. The best “deal” is probably GamePass for PC, but that wouldn’t get it running in Steam.

You can do Xbox cloud streaming to the Steam Deck if you’re prepared to do a little manual faffing about. I’ve done it, although I can’t play Starfield on a controller. And you need the top GamePass tier to enable cloud streaming…

19. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Don't forget you can (if you can be fussed) load Windows as a dual-boot OS and install GP (and Epic etc.) games that way, if you're not going to have access to streaming.

GP used to do introductory offers as well quite often, although I have a feeling they might have stopped this - possibly temporarily - when Starfield launched...

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I think those really cheap introductory offers finished a while ago.