1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Temporary name: Bloo Balls --6-29-'11 Bloo 2.0 refit COMPLETED page 47

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 3 Jun 2007.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks everyone!

@mvagusta -The reason I say by sight is because most of the parts are fused together seamlessly, and there are no visible pinholes. They already pass a human lung pressure test.:D The only bad seam I had just got de-soldered for that re-fit.
    pipe bending is out because it tends to crimp with tight bends, and is never perfectly straight. (It even comes in coils.) It also doesn't have the art-deco steampunk look this build needs.

@theAlien -Go for it. The cleanup and sanding is the hard part. If you don't like something you can undo it with a torch and a wire brush.

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Would you be offended if I made my custom case hose brackets like yours in wood? Pure genius, man...

3. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

my first occupation was coppersmith and then machinist until I had to retire.I'm pretty good at soldering,and also have the tools for the job like silver rod which makes it a lot easier with the cleanup,so that won't be a problem.......but I have a dual loop in mind and that would be a lot of soldering and leak testing ...............

Alan

4. Cheapskate

@KayinBlack -Wood? That would be pretty tough. I could see them splitting along the grain. Leather straps with snaps would be easier.:D I wouldn't be putting this stuff online if I was worried about people copying me. -have fun!

@theAlien -coppersmith? I thought my re-uhpolstery background was unique... The silver solder flows like water. -much better than this tin stuff I use. It would polish up nice too. It would be neat to build a one-part frame/loop that you could just plug your parts into. Maybe solder the whole thing to some brass angle or even a decorative panel...

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I've got an idea about the grain on that one, as well as a unique way to finish them. Leather, while normally a part of wood cases, will not find its way into this...

6. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

....yup........the silver solder is the best you can get and work with .....

... thats kind of what I have in mind ..............

Alan

7. Cheapskate

cool! a couple of builds I can look forward to.
    It may be a while on updates. We just got a house back...destroyed. The central AC fan is in the bedroom on the floor, and they tried to steal the ceiling fans...

8. Cheapskate

OK... I have a working computer again. The chip was still good. The new ASRock board has fewer features, but I wasn't really using them. It also has a cooler running NB. Strangely, the CPU is running cooler too. -Something to do with the lack of a 4 pin outlet on the board?

I've been busy lately. (Can you believe I'm 'winterizing' stuff in 80 degree weather?) I'll have an update when I put the new board in BB.

9. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Glad it's all working again cheap. Nice to hear about the cooler temperatures, even if the cause is unknown. looking forward to the next update. Oh and t thanks for rubbing in the 80 degree weather, we're about 80 different.

10. Cheapskate

Thanks.
    HEY! You don't have to mow and fight mosquitoes all year.:D -And the way the people down here drive on ice is comical.

11. Cheapskate

Buzy... But I managed to do some modding anyway.
    [​IMG]
    -I have a spot on one of the pipes that is touching the side panel. The blue spot on the pipe here is keeping me from closing the case. I need to file it down. I was in the garage today and found two 8' lengths of 1/2" copper pipe.:waah: I wish I had found it $30 worth of pipe ago... But now I'm in business for doing another system like this.
    [​IMG]
    -So much for organized cables...:rolleyes: I put together a LED cluster. It was much easier thanks to the new can of flux I've been using on the pipes. My old flux was probably older than I am, and didn't work well. The old motherboard still comes in handy for testing my wiring.
    [​IMG]
    -It turns out the UV LEDs from futulec DO work. For some reason they didn't like my test rig. The 80 other LEDs I bought worked in it.:eyebrow: I wired up 4 white LEDs for the hardrive cage and 2 UVs on a LONG wire. I'm undecided on where they will go, but one will have to spotlight the waterblock. The white LEDs are the cheapest 5mm ultrabright LEDs I could get from BestHongKong, and they are still bright as hell. The expensive ones must be like the bat-signal! In this pic you can see 2 of them BURNING through the HD rack.
    [​IMG]
    -HEY! I accidentally got a clean shot of the CD and floppy drives. The epoxy spots on the CD face can only be seen with a camera. I like the black drives, so I think I'm going to cancel the attempt to cast clear/blue bezels for them.
    [​IMG]
    -New board...ASRock -somethingorother... It has had a few capacitors replaced and looks like it's been used as a doorstop, but it works. :eeek: More amazingly: The motherboard is the only thing I cooked. My memory, video, and CPU are OK!
    [​IMG]
    -I made a paper doo-dad to help me with the position of the last hardlines. I'm not going to work around the engine block pump this time.

Soon I will get to use all the wonderfull stuff from Danger Den, -if I don't get driven crazy first.
    [​IMG]

12. Teyber

Teyber ******

nice work! but loose the IDE!!! i would invest some $ in a cheap sata dvd-rom and sata hard drives... nice case+ watercooling, i would recomend it. But even if you don't its great work!

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

@ Teyber: He may just be using it temporarily for testing purposes as he's just put this new board in. Even so, money could be an issue as well. Nothing wrong with a round IDE cable, although I personally prefer SATA opticals also :D.

Glad to hear the ASRock board'll suit your purposes fine, Cheap. I like the board as well. Not much on flash, but reliability's definitely there in my experience so far. Your chip doesn't run hot? Lol. Mine was rather toasty, so I ripped off that stock sink (and, as expected, found a huge uneven glob of whatever peanut butter-based pseudo-TIM they slathered on it) and put a Zalman ZM-NBF47 on it. Didn't want to put it in the loop either although I have plenty of room to do so. Seemed like the better solution. Seems better now. ;)

14. Cheapskate

This board is a step backward. It doesn't have SATA jacks like the other one, and a SATA floppy drive is just silly. Cable management is going to be part of phase 2. Right now i want it together and running, then I can worry about the little stuff.
    I got the idea in my head to torture an optical mouse in the near future, too.
    -Peanut butter thermal paste...MMMM! They should put that in the capacitors. I've become used to the smell of overheating cap, but I still don't like it. You will notice the super-cheap power supply I used. -It's because I've burned through 4 of them in the past few years.
    Surge jacks are no match for the Houston power grid.

15. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Got to show you something man. Its for turn cutting with the drill press, a safer and easier way to mount stuff for cutting. It's simple. I'll show you when I make it. Good work here. Keep it up.

16. Cheapskate

Thanks!
    Cool. I'm watching... I doubt I'll give up my 3/4" plywood shield, though.

17. ZeroHerO

ZeroHerO What's a Dremel?

I really like that yor making copperpipes for the watercooling, looks so much better than tubing. I'm actually starting to considder making copperpiping myself just looking at yours makes me wanting it in my machine :)

Nice work ZeroHerO

18. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

You should clear coat the copper tubing. When it tarnishes,... its going to turn a dark A#$ brown color. This is one reason I'm going to try and get rid of the copper rods used on my sFX res's,...

19. Cheapskate

Thanks ZeroHerO. -go for it! -but don't make the same mistake I made. Keep it simple.

@ Tribal -Yep! I already have been working on that. Here it's so wet that a fingerprint on the pipes will turn brown overnight. (I have moss growing on my poor van on the driveway.:hehe:) The problem I'm having now is getting the clear coat off the part I re-spliced. I need to soak it in paint thinner.

[​IMG]
    -This is why I didn't want to change boards. The radiator and WB barbs are going to be UGLY. The inlet on the rad lines up perfectly with the center of the chip, so those two lines now collide.
    [​IMG]
    -Then there's the layout on this board... :rolleyes: Check out my long floppy cable baby!:naughty:
    [​IMG]
    -Eye candy time! The first shot with the power on AND the side closed up.
    [​IMG]
    -The same shot, but with a black light on to show the colors properly.
    [​IMG]
    -The insides. I have the two UV LEDs rolling around free at the moment. One is stuffed in the reservoir inlet.
    [​IMG]
    -Black light only shot. I love the light falloff on the reservoir. -Eerie.
    [​IMG]
    -I finished the line from the pump to the waterblock...I think. I can't be sure until I put everything together.
    [​IMG]
    -I also made a freaky little coil to go from the waterblock to the radiator. This is iffy too because it has to squirm around the WB inlet barb. It blocks the view of the WB too.:sigh: If anyone is curious, YES! You can solder copper and steel together. (I got wild with the solder again...) I had to use a prybar to get the pipe free. It's my punishment for not using a chunk of hardyplank.

Getting closer...
    [​IMG]

20. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I love how intricate the piping is. great work.