1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The airsoft thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by crazyg1zm0, 30 Oct 2008.

1. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Thread revive!

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of getting involved in airsofting.

There's not many of my friends who are that interested, well non of them are interested.

Is there anyway I can get involved by myself? Do you need a group of people to go, the same as paintballing?

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

IME, you can go on your own or with friends. Most of the sites I've been to have been welcoming enough that it's not really important.

It does help if you're a little more.. Proactive about talking to people though.

3. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Yea i have been to a few games on my own or with 1 friend, rented an AEG for the day and had a blast.

For any of the regular guys, Anyone upgraded their triggers, to an electronic one at all? got a G&G ETU kit on the way for my G&P M4

4. liratheal

I use an Unconventional Airsoft TriggerMaster, which has a set of trigger cables rather than running voltage through it. Probably similar in setup to those.

Worked fine, but I've been out of the game so long that I've got no recent experience.

5. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I only just realised you reside in Lichfield! I'm in Walsall so only down the road! Do you have any recommendations on which sites I should start at?

6. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

I go fairly frequently to the Land Warrior site just outside Edinburgh.

Not too huge into upgrading just yet - really just a spring swap to bring it up to 370 fps. Considering 500 fps for semi-auto DMR but will likely get a second rifle for that - Krytac or King Arms maybe - or might just bite the bullet and go Tippmann M4.

Quite happy with the trigger on my Nuprol SOPMOD M4 already - it's probably one of the least important upgrades imo. Spring, barrel, hop up, good mags that feed well are all more important I believe.

7. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Well All the internals on my M4 have already been upgraded years ago by the pervious owner. so this thing is already solid. I need to drop in a new spring as last chrono was 350fps i believe and most sites near me i think require lower FPS.

8. liratheal

I'll be honest, I'm so out of it I don't really know many active sites around here. My previous favourite site has closed since I last went!

The only one I know of nearby is Fireball at Bassetts Pole, but I've had less than stellar experiences with their marshals ~13 years ago and haven't been back since. It may have changed!

9. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Ah, what a bummer. Do you not find that Paintball and Airsoft sites are very few in numbers around here?

I'm presuming the Bassetts Pole site is used for paintball? I think I've been there before.

10. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Dont bother with Bassetts Pole, i was there about 2 years ago and the marshals were worse than useless. the Rugely site are also a bunch of jobsworths that are not worth bothering for anything more than a pickup game

if you Drive there is a decent place near Derby that ive had mostly good experiences with ( the indoor site is kinda crappy with 2 stairwells and 3 floors meaning 9/10 games end in stairwell camp fests unless you buy grenades making it almost pay to win ) but the outdoor games they do is pretty good.

Also YES the amount of Airsoft sites in the midlands is really quite low

if i drove id love to get back into the hobby but as i dont and most games Start Sunday morning, id have to crash at someones place the night before

11. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Land Warrior is 370 fps full auto and 500 fps semi and bolt with a 25 foot rule on the 500 fps guns relegating you to side arm or something that is sub 370. Cool site though... they incorporate ex military APCs into their games and defunct Rapier missile launchers.

It's pretty windy here so I tend to run .3 or .35.

12. liratheal

Yeah, they're few and far between. Ive been looking at west midlands airsoft this afternoon. Might pop up for a game some day soon and see what their sites are like.

13. lilgoth89

dont forget to post your review here man

also if West Midlands Airsoft is within your travel distance, then Anzio camp might also be

14. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Yeah, West Midlands Airsoft has caught my eye a couple of times. I think I'm following there page on Facebook at the moment.

That's the issue I find with a hobby like this, it's pretty much useless if you don't drive. Getting a car should probably be the first thing on my list of priorities -_-

15. lilgoth89

yeah although i dont think i would ever trust myself behind the wheel of a car due to overstimulation risks

i have been eyeing up the ICS G33 for along time now

[​IMG]
    but since im not with UKAARA currently it would have to be bright coloured and i have heard many horror stories about them being sprayed so i might have to get my M4a1 back together before i play, although i might just hand it over to a shop where the people actually know what they are doing so i can get it running ( am tempted just to grab an off the shelf Marui V2 gearbox and sling it in till i can get the G33

16. liratheal

I just looked at the run to Anzio, it's a little beyond what I can be arsed to do of a weekend. It's basically my run to a customers Stoke site and then some. Bleh.

Tbh, I'd buy a built mechbox and throw it in. I've done that multiple times in the past, and what was meant to be temporary has just.. Become the way it is. Possibly why I've got so many spare V2 boxes lying around!

Driving definitely helps, but even so. Driving an hour, hour and a half in the morning isn't so bad, it's the drive home of 'I'm ****ed and need a shower' that's the problem.

17. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I am fortune living in t'North i am not far from a few of the First & Only sites.

and as Lira said if you can just grab a built off the shelf TM V2 Box and drop it in, Although it depends on what is wrong with yours. learning to disassemble and repair a gearbox, how to shim and what not is a good skill to have if airsofting is something you enjoy. Although most places that do repairs don't charge too much for them, depending on what needs doing of course.

EDIT: the Electronic trigger kit arrived today, I will be fitting this over the weekend so will let everyone know what its like to do and what I think of it. I will be using it initially with my normal 9.6v NiMH battery from G&P i will be getting LiPo for it in the future but not immediately

Last edited: 5 May 2017
  18. lilgoth89

it seemed to run ok ( for a 'starter' gun ) until i had a MOSFET and High power motor installed by a friend ( who, while knowing more than me, mainly does HPA ) ever since then it has sounded a little bit sick. It likely only needs shimming and lubing and such, but i lack the knowledge and would prefer a competent set of eyes to help me put it back together myself

the plan is to simply throw a TM V2 gearbox in without the mosfet to get me going again

Lession learned, dont let clueless people ( including myself ) mess around with a gearbox

19. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Mosfets, from my reading do need a high Torque low speed motor so im looking at an asg 22k motor for mine, at least when i drop in a LiPo from what i understand NiMH shouldn't change much. I have also been told there can be issues with the trigger contacts if they are not replaced too. Although the mosfet should in theory prevent most of that.

there are plenty of good guides on shimming you the youtubes, i would suggest if you do buy a new box to then use the old one as a learning tool and practice.

20. lilgoth89

yeah i picked up a high torque SHS motor when i grabbed the mosfet, but its not sounding to chipper.

Lira do you know of a decent local place i could send my rifle off to get it sorted out ? JD airsoft seems close are they any good ?