1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The airsoft thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by crazyg1zm0, 30 Oct 2008.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That one's easy: an air weapon fires a projectile that isn't a 6mm plastic BB using an air pressure not greater than 12ft/lbs for rifles or 6ft/lbs for pistols; a Firearms Certificated air weapon fires same using air pressure greater than 12ft/lbs for rifles (air pistols over 6ft/lbs are Section 5 and therefore entirely illegal FAC or no FAC); airsoft guns fire exclusively 6mm plastic BBs (yes, yes, I've seen the 6mm glass BBs on AliExpress - technically it'll fire any sphere 6mm in diameter) at a power of less than one joule.

4.5mm Dan Wesson revolver? Air weapon, ergo Actual Firearm.
    6mm Dan Wesson revolver? Airsoft gun, ergo Realistic Imitation Firearm.

Simple as that.

EDIT: Andy, if you're looking for your post, I moved it 'ere because you were asking about air weapons rather than airsoft RIFs.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2017
  2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The thing that really bugs the tits off me about the VCR enforcement is that, if you're comfortable bolting parts together, you can bypass it entirely.

All it really does is encumber legitimate players and new starters in the hobby IMO.

Although, I do see less cheap tat springers for sale, so maybe there's that. In terms of preventing people having RIF's, though, it's pretty useless.

3. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Nothing to stop someone buying a 2 tone m4 taking it apart and paintibg it black. Your not ment to but who's going to check...

Also just ordered me a new radio a beofeng uv-5r at £20 from the bay it should be awesome. I am already covered under a personal business licence so I have an assigned set of frequencies to use with it. But the licence costs £75 for 5 years takes 5 mins of ofcoms website so worth it I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Most people would be dissuaded from doing so because it's a crime, however I'm sure many people (particularly those in my situation) do it without a second thought because the chance of actually being "caught" is next to zero.

I'm biased because I think our gun laws are ridiculous (did I say that already?) and I'd definitely get UKARA or a certificate if I was going to actively participate in the shooting of an air weapon. If a person wants to modify two-tone guns but never take them out of the house... can't say I have a problem with that, despite the *technical* illegality.

That's always been the case - the few spoil it for the many. It's especially true here in Scotland, not so much for airsoft but for air weapons in general.

5. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i think im getting to the point of simply throwing my gun away!!

decided to replace some of the bits in the gearbox, to find out ICS use a proprietary anti reversal latch >_<

Cant use a drop in gearbox,
    cant used drop in gears without a replacement latch

used 2 of the 3 new gears, and the anti-reversal latch and bevel gear of the original and...

IT LIVES!!!!!!!! ( sounds like **** )
    BUT IT LIVES!!!!!!

so ill be hopping on the train to Mancs likely next week after payday to drop the rifle off and let them do the shimming / lubing / piston stuff that needs doing

Also this talk about the VCRA has me concerned, as someone who hasnt played Airsoft in a couple of years, and is not going to play until my Airsoft gun is fully operational again, so is not in possession of a UKAARA defence) would transporting my rifle ( in a bag of course ) to a repair shop count as a 'reasonable defence' if stopped in public ? ( im travelling to First And Only Manchester Retail for them to perform shimming, lubing etc ) and im slightly concerned about getting stopped. National Rail suggests i travel through Piccadilly and walk to Victoria ( LOL)

Last edited: 6 Jun 2017
  6. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

The (relevant parts of the) VCRA only applies to selling, importing, and manufacturing of RIFs. It doesn't cover ownership so you don't need to anything like UKARA to prove you are entitled to own a RIF. Wielding a RIF in public is covered under other legislation and, tbh, given recent events in Manchester you'd have to be pretty special to carry one around without suitable packaging.

But, in answer to your question, if you were stopped I'd imagine you'd be fine. If you're really worried you may want to have some details about F&O Retail readily available to hand so you can easily demonstrate where it is you're going and what they do. Their contact details would also probably be useful.

7. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Yea theres no reason for you to get into trouble for just transporting your gear. the bill is as Krazeh said to cover sale, import and production.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I walk to and from the gun range with my Actual Firearm air weapons, and never had a problem - but I, as the law requires, ensure that the guns are unloaded and uncocked with the ammunition stored separately. (I also stick a three-digit combination trigger lock on 'em and a small travel padlock on the bag's zips, which the law doesn't require but makes a "just transporting 'em occifer" explanation a lot easier.)

You shouldn't have a problem with a RIF, with the provisos that you don't wave it around outside the bag and the bag doesn't scream HEY I'M A GUN BAG EVERYBODY THERE'S A GUN IN HERE GUN GUN GUN. Mine looks like a gun bag if you recognise the 5.11 logo picked out in black-on-black velcro, but otherwise just looks like a really tall/long bag. I was walking back late one night with it on my shoulders, which makes the strange length more obvious 'cos it sticks up about three feet above my head, and a local drunk asked what was in it - so I said it was hockey sticks and I was returning from practice.

9. Gareth Halfacree

I went, I saw, I got my arse kicked and a bunch of bruises for my troubles. (Admittedly, most of the bruises were from inadequate knee/shin protection and bashing into rocks, but I've got a right shiner on my inner thigh when someone opened up full-auto at about a three foot range...)

Short review of Cerberus Airsoft at The Sandpit:
    The 'camo' is rubbish (a single-colour tan overall) and contrary to the website you don't get a vest or plate carrier. Squash, tea, coffee, hot chocolate provided throughout the day. Lunch was spaghetti bolognese minus the spaghetti. The start was delayed by about an hour for some reason, and the rental guns are crap with a capital cr: my first gun would only fire semi-auto then died completely, and its replacement's muzzle was held together with tape and lacked a rear sight. Shite range, too: several times I had the drop on someone but couldn't hit them, then they turned around and got me. The rental mask, too, was a problem: falling apart and misted up like a proper 'un.

Still, a good time was had, even if I was rubbish. The venue is great, but a bit hazardous: I smacked my calf muscle on a piece of rusty rebar sticking out of one of the sand piles, and we had to pause twice for civvies (once for dog walkers, once for trespassers on dirt and quad bikes). By 'eck I felt it the next day, though: spent most of the games crouched behind rocks and my upper thighs have been killing me ever since.

I enjoyed it so much, in fact, that I may have just bought something:

[​IMG]

An Armat M41A Pulse Rifle. Turns out that at least a couple of retailers agree with my theory that the Pulse Rifle can't possibly be a Realistic Imitation Firearm (RIF) because there's no Real Pulse Rifle for it to be an Imitation of - so I was able to pick it up with no VCRA exemption.

Only trouble is, it's a Chinese gun and runs too hot for UK skirmish use. I've ordered an M90 spring, which I'm told should downrate it nicely, but I have to admit to being a bit nervous about taking the thing apart. Anyone done a spring replacement on one of these before - or, at least, the Thompson M1A1 hiding underneath all that plastic?

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  11. lilgoth89

the 'snipers' are rather annoying, and most of them are running camera's so they can add the COD hit sound and animation and stick it on Youtube

then anytime you dont feel it, they can set Youtube alight with the classic ''OMG AIRSOFT CHEATER GODMODE NOOB''
    and they confront you safe behind their camera, knowing if you deny feeling the hit they can also add 'FLIPS OUT!!!! #NOT CLICKBAIT'

it is highly annoying, one of the main things that put me off was hearing teenagers calling each other out like they are on Xbox live or something...

i just want to turn up with a bunch of mature adults, and run around in the woods shooting each other, like Milsim without the overnight camping and people shouting at you all the time

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As someone wanting to get into airsoft when i pass my driving test and get my car in about a month. What would be some general tips either in general or equipment wise you would give to a new player?

14. lilgoth89

dont spend any money you dont have to, on your first game, just rent a gun and try to be in something that blends in ( like dont turn up in a grey tracksuit but dont waste money buying a full set of camo gear )

FOOTWEAR!!!! the #1 airsoft injury is twisted ankles so get some good outdoor footwear with decent ankle support DO NOT WEAR BASIC TRAINERS!!

remember it WILL sting abit when you get hit, but dont be afraid to get shot at anything other than point blank ( basically dont be a sissy and get stuck in )

Call Your Hits, if you think you may of been hit, call it. nobody likes a cheat, if you think a player isnt playing fair, inform a ref ( some ref's carry weapons to test players are calling their hits )

Talk to the other players, and by extention, let the Ref's know that you are a new player. Most players will happily let you fondle their goodies for a few mins and give you advice

first bits of gear i would buy are, DECENT EYE PRO, a RADIO, and then a gun, the first gun i would go for would be an AEG, most likely an M4 as EVERYONE goes for the M4 first, so mags and accessories are easy to find

be prepared to be VERY worn out after your first day, it can be very exausting running around in the woods all day

Also be aware you will go through the Gucci phase of playing, this involves wanting to add every accessory to everything, be it lasers, silencers and sights to your rifle, to every kind of pouch imaginable to your gear

15. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

ALWAYS test any new eye protection BEFORE it goes on your head, no matter where it came from. Hitting it point blank with the most powerful airsoft gun you have several times across the whole eye area should suffice (while wearing other eye protection, obviously.)

16. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Any recommendations? Ideally i would want eye pro i could use for, don't shoot me for this, paintball aswell if i decide to play that at any point. Any recommendations on makes and models for the gun?

That's a good idea I hadn't thought of that.

17. Gareth Halfacree

The Violent Crime Reduction Act (VCRA) requires that you have an exemption in order to buy what are classed as Realistic Imitation Firearms (RIFs). If you buy an airsoft gun now, you don't have an exemption and you'd either have to get a gun that doesn't look like a real firearm (like my M41A Pulse Rifle) or have your realistic gun sprayed so that 51% of its surface is one of the approved colours: bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright blue, bright green, bright pink, bright purple. Alternatively, it can be manufactured from transparent plastic; the important thing is that it doesn't look like a real gun.

To gain an exemption for airsoft skirmish use and be permitted to buy an actual Realistic Imitation Firearm, you need to visit an insured airsoft site no fewer than three times over the course of not less than two months and then join one of the industry groups - UKARA is the most commonly used. UKARA membership basically says "this person is serious about airsoft" and grants you a VCRA exemption, at which point you can buy whatever airsoft gun you like: realistic M4s, M92FSes, miniguns, bazookas, landmines, whatever you fancy.

There is a loophole in the VCRA, though: it only covers purchasing a RIF. It does not cover receiving a RIF as a gift. If someone with a RIF gives you it as a present, it's yours to keep whether you've got an exemption or not. This doesn't mean you can give someone cash to buy a gun for you, though, and it doesn't mean you can buy a gun from someone in a private sale (private sales are covered by the VCRA.)

18. lilgoth89

the best advice is to stick to the big manufacturers ( ICS, Tokyo Marui etc ) and go for an entry level AEG, most of the parts are replaceable
    but eventual model choice is going to come down to the owner ( do you like M4 platform ? AK ? Mp5 ? ) personally id pick up an M4 to start with ( yawn ) not simply because EVERYONE has an m4, but because Everyone has an M4, meaning parts are easy to come by, and on the field most of your teamates will likely have a spare mag should you need one ( also ammo pouches are easy to find )
    My Next AEG will likely be the ICS G33
    [​IMG] ( Minus the Sight )
    Its a G36 that takes M4 mags, so it looks different to what alot of people run, while still being compatible with magazines

Id still say that renting a AEG is a better bet for your first time, you might find the sensation of getting hit very unpleasant and not wish to put any more money into the sport...

19. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Well I am off to Preston Woodlands next sat with 3 mates who have never been airsofting before, should be a bunch of fun. Dropped an m95 spring into my M4 and its now shooting 307 quite consistently which is better than the 430 it was doing before. Tried to get an m100 but as i am quite buys between now and the event I dont have time so went with safe to be sure i wouldnt have FPS issues.

Not had a game in year should be fun

MLyons likes this.
  20. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Well that was a fun Day out.

Got 3 more people into airsoft, the 3 friends i took with me all loved it, and can't wait to go again.

I had a couple of issues which need addressing.
    • Battery eventually died with 45 mins left, Was unable to find my spare in the morning, so gunna grab another 2 batteries to make sure i am fine.
    • Buffer tube on my m4 felt really lose at points in the day so im going to check that one out and see what i can do there.
    • Get a spare speedloader, Mine jammed up middle of the morning session making mags a pain to load.
    • Need a new pistol, The mag dropped out of my M92 during the first round of the day (not the first time) so need to find a better pistol that does not have such a terrible mag release. Or a much better holster
    Still fun day for all. Now to go again.