1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Good luck with it!

I've hardly used as much e-liquid in my vape while working from home. I don't have to get up, go down three flights of stairs, out through the lobby, and stand on a street corner vaping like a maniac for 10 minutes; I can just puff away as and when I want at my desk. I was planning on stopping this year anyway, so now might be a good time.

On the other hand, we're only just at the start of this thing and it could get a lot worse - I might still want to hold on to this particular crutch for a while longer!

Bloody_Pete and kim like this.
  2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Some second-hand info via a teacher (so may have an element of lost-in-translation) which may be of interest to those herding podlings:
    - Current exam board advice is that this years grades are going to be based on a combination of mock exam results and teachers 'using their best judgement' (in their opinion, that's going to basically be a 5#!+show), with formal exams proposed in the autumn/winter to act as 'resits' if the results from mocks are disputed.
    - Distance teaching via existing school systems is OK, distance teaching outside that (e.g. Skype/Whatsapp/Discord/etc using personal accounts) is HOLY #^(£ YOU WANT DIRECT WEBCAM ACCESS TO KIDS BEDROOMS ARE YOU #^(£ing INSANE?! a safeguarding issue.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Well done Kim. It takes a lot perseverance but hopefully you get through it. I'm also an ex smoker and I managed to quit during an illness. Because my social context and mental triggers (due to being in hospital or stuck at home) for a smoke changed during my illness I was able to give up in a relatively straight forward manner. So with all of this lock down and social isolation, hopefully you've picked a good time because your routine won't be exactly the same.

In other news, when I come back from the shop I've taken to the procedure of washing my hands, emptying the bags, wiping my purchases down with a disinfectant wipe, put everything away, wipe the worktops, wipe the door handles, my car keys, house keys, the handle of the car door, the radio, the light switch, the steering wheel, the gear knob, the seat belt and seat belt receptacle, the handbreak , the heating controls and the inside handle.

This morning I ended up wiping down a pack of disinfectant wipes with a disinfectant wipe :wallbash:

kim likes this.
  4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

So it turns out people are stockpiling water

There are two different bottled waters I will feed my espresso machine, with hardness levels low enough so as not to build scale - Volvic and Waitrose essentials. Nada.

There are online supplies of Volvic, but it's always way more expensive than it ever is in the shop. I can hardly be stuck in the house without coffee though.

And it's going to be a sh**show for university admissions, where conditional offers have already been made based on expected results, to fill courses based on historically only around 50% actually achieving the predicted results.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2020
  5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm sure there's a logical reason not to, but could you not just use a Brita* filter?

* Other brands of water filtration jugs may be available.

MLyons likes this.
  6. kim

kim hardware addict

Yeah, I totally understand, for some of us, having a crutch prooves to be helpfull to endure stress, worries, boredome, and particulary during those difficut times, fags used to be mine for long like I said, unfortunately, I tryed e-liquids, but vaping disgusts me more than cigarettes :sigh: , so I must find another crutch, I'll certainly have to ask for a medical help, if only for avoiding stress, and keep in mind that beyond saving my lungs, my health, I will first of all save a lot of money to invest it in much more important things...:grin:
    thanks for your support @theshadow2001 ,great that you managed to quit, that's a challenge to get rid of this horribly addictive poison, kudos for that, and also for so many health procedures, it might look a tad excessive, but IMO, none are unusefull against this pandemy, apart perhaps disinfect disinfectant wipes with a disinfectant wipe :grin:, but well, paranoids may get away with it much more than careless ones.

7. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Time to mod a water distiller? (Or just buy distilled water from auto parts shop or RO-filtered water from pet shop)

MLyons likes this.
  8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!

:p :)

Nexxo likes this.
  9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It's not like that stuff comes out of taps or something. Gotta stockpile that stuff.

Although my girlfriend is upset that she hasn't got enough bottled water to last two weeks.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not a single reason for using bottled water in western Europe, we ain't in Michigan.

liratheal likes this.
  11. Mister_Tad

Brita - no. Different objective.

There are some filters specifically designed for the use case, and you fit them to the inlet inside the onboard tank. They're stupid expensive though, have to be replaced regularly, and even then not entirely effective, so there's still a risk of machine killing scale, or the need for semi-regular descale and rebuilds (this isn't a Nespresso if it wasn't clear)

Problem is that truly pure water makes crappy coffee, looked into this to plumb the machine - you need to RO, and then re-mineralize, and it's an enormous faff. Much easier to just get bottles with the weekly shops... normally.

If I stopped drinking coffee suddenly, the cumulative withdrawal would be far more likely to kill me than some silly virus.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I've been vaping for 2.25 years now, for me it was the first 6 motnths that were the big hurdle. I have a smoking app that tracks the days and tells you how far along you are to body parts healing, it was really great to help focus and push me on. Its called Smoke Free, has a green heart. Was started to help aid research into people quitting I think :)

kim likes this.
  13. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

You could just add some tap water for that, basically use pure water to reduce the hardness of tap water.
    Personally have RO system at home (mainly for aquariums) that I sometime use for coffee (moka pot). Some time ago tried pure RO, RO remineralized (one more cartridge in RO system) and tap water - cant really taste that much difference.

14. adidan

To be fair if I had no tea i'd be in the same boat.

15. Mister_Tad

If it came to it mixing would be an option, I have a test kit that would let me find the right blend as well for peace of mind. When it's so easy under normal circumstances to top up from a stock of bottles under the counter though I've never bothered going down that road. And assuming the 54 litres of Volvic I've just ordered from the interwebs actually turns up next week, I shouldn't need to think about it again for a while.

16. kim

kim hardware addict

Thanks for quoting and commenting @Bloody_Pete, for sure supports are welcome :clap:
    I payed a visit to the smoke-free app, looks like it can be helpfull to push me on as well, I bet first months will be pretty hard so I will try that :thumb:. I also had an funny idea, I made sort of calendar on a large piece of paper pined on my desk area, and noted all forecoming weeks 'till today to the end of year, with the amount of money I can save every time I avoid buying a packet : I used to buy 2 per week so it makes 2O euros saved each week :grin: (silly but quit smoking requires crutches :hehe:)

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Eldest and wife seem fine today. Youngest's cough has got pretty bad, though, and mine is developing pretty quickly. None of the other symptoms, though, but I feel absolutely exhausted. Probably just a bad cold, but that doesn't make me feel any better - especially as that means we could then catch the 'rona on top.

Ran out of orange squash. Managed to snag some of those Robinson's pocket-sized portions on Amazon for delivery tomorrow, so that's good. Still waiting on a delivery of some Calpol for the kids, and that's not likely to be any time soon - but we've still got a little in stock, thankfully.

Might order a takeaway tonight, throw a local business a bone. Get 'em to leave it on the outside table, mind!

18. adidan

The French seem to be having issues of people breaking into emergency vehicles to steal face masks.

Just how dumb is our species? Perhaps Mother Nature is asking the same question and this is the first shot across our bows.

19. Risky

Risky Modder

We've given up and shut the main shop in town. Apparently there are local facebook groups saying anyone that stays open outside the essentials is being greedy and spreading the virus. They is also the odd moron claiming we are currently free of the virus and it is second home owners that are bringing it down. I'd tell them to go and jump in the harbour, but she can't take the stress anymore.

It's not as if I was expecting to do more than break even, just to keep people employed and allow folk to grab and ice cream for the kids or a coffee while walking the dog. I'd try it for a week and see if people wanted it, but now the mob are out there and life has got dumber. I think I need stock up on single malt.

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That's a no-go. Remember that guy that was using rescue animals to feed his snake? :worried:
    @theshadow2001 - Not having wipes in your pocket and decontaminating before putting things in the vehicle was your first mistake.