1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hey! Those books were purchased over a period of time! :grin:

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

A lot of things. Pandemics tend to ripple. And when the social distancing and shut-down is lifted, it will bite again. And disruptions now tend to have consequences later.

Anyway, seems I'm not the only one to think this.

Oh, and...

[​IMG]

:p

Last edited: 23 Mar 2020
    edzieba likes this.
  3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Also, for those who can't get out in the fresh air or have decided not to, Joe Wicks is currently doing free exercise videos at 9am each day, which the missus and kids are piling into at the moment with the patio door open, plus there's a lady called Adriene that does yoga classes on YouTube.

Think I should be on commission...

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Went shopping this morning, after home gym session. At 7:30, things were calm, but other things are getting in short supply. I wanted a box of 10 eggs, but could only get the half dozen boxes - I only got one box as to not be greedy.

I think I'll aim to keep going in at this time if I need to do shopping in the future (which, thanks to a combination of the three item limit and hoarders, I'll have to do more than I'd like) as there are few people around and it's far easier to keep up social distancing.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Feeling absolutely horrible today. Cough's much worse, leaves me short of breath and dizzy afterwards. Knackered. No rest for the wicked, though, the deadlines ain't shifting. On the plus side, the youngest seems to be on the mend, so there's that.

Wife has signed us up to a local milkman who's still doing his rounds: four pints, some orange juice, and six eggs on a Monday, another four pints on a Friday. She's also booked a meat delivery from a game outfit - most of which is the usual stuff like bacon and chicken, but there's some squirrel in there too. Haven't had squirrel in *years*.

Thought I'd found a fruit 'n' veg box outfit that was still delivering. And I had... if I'd wanted said delivery to take place in the Devon area. Bah.

7. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Don't worry too much about the deadlines though, focus on rest and getting better as a priority.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sadly, print deadlines are not really shiftable - I don't get Hobby Tech in on time, there's a five-page gap in the flatplan for the next issue. Plus, I need the cash!

SuperHans123 likes this.
  9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Mate, remember how this all started... :jawdrop:

Gareth Halfacree and Mister_Tad like this.
  10. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Hang in there GH, hope it passes quickly for you.
    Good news with the meat & milk deliveries.

We've been delighted to rediscover our local convenience store who also deliver if you spend over £5. Happy to walk there while allowed, and keep a decent distance from others.

We have been out walking the last couple of days, along with many others who seem to show no sign of wanting to keep away when we pass them on the paths. We then have moved sideways a couple of metres if at all possible.
    Also seeking less popular places to walk.

adidan and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Just phoned up to sign up for an extreme yoga class and the lady asked me how flexible I actually was.

Told her any time was good really, as I don't have much on at the moment.

SuperHans123, Nexxo, Edwards and 2 others like this.
  12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Don't worry, the UK has found a new dumb thing to do collectively:
    Visiting rural areas where there are barely any doctors / hospitals:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

adidan likes this.
  13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Even with only 102 cases in NZ (and no deaths yet), the country goes into lockdown on Wednesday. Fair play to Jacinda Ardern for leading from the front with clarity and decisiveness again, the woman just goes from strength to strength when times are tough.

She has to, NZ has 3 times fewer critical care beds per head of population than Italy does. If community transmission takes off, they are screwed.

adidan likes this.
  14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'd like to import Jacinda for here. I had alot of time for here even back when she was Deputy Leader of the Opposition.

I guess there won't be many kapa haka or hongi going on at the moment.

Croatia got me thinking of NZ as they've just had a 5.6 iirc, earthquakes are the last thing anyone needs on top of this.

I think we should have learned from South Korea some time ago. Limited restrictions but massive testing, quarantine and updates of hotspots seems to have worked relatively well.

Arboreal likes this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Folding@Home still doesn't play nice with newer Ubuntu releases, so I've turned BOINC back on and pulled down some work from COVID-19-related projects:

upload_2020-3-23_11-29-56.png

My lovely whisper-quiet desktop ain't so whisper-quiet any more, mind. Bouncing between 79-83 degrees with the fans all running full tilt, although the CPU cooler's still on the L setting rather than H 'cos I can't be faffed taking the side of the case off.

Arboreal likes this.
  16. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Woohoo, back online!

Arboreal, Byron C and adidan like this.
  17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Virus recovery!

Arboreal and Goatee like this.
  18. kim

kim hardware addict

yeah, forums were unreachable yesterday :waah:great thing I assumed the worst :eyebrow:

Arboreal and Goatee like this.
  19. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

They are currently draining its blood to sell to McAfee for much $$$

20. Risky

Risky Modder

I probably have about 30 Kg of Coffee Beans in stock. Some will have to be thrown away as they will be stale when we reopen.