1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals The Joystick Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 27 Jul 2014.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Also less of a pain in the arse to actually buy. I don't know what the hell VKB are thinking making their stuff so hard to purchase with nonsensical regional licensing and rebranding, random stock allocations, listing items that are not available on their website but failing to list their new kit, etc.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Well as I understand it, this stick is actually the result of a botched licencing deal they did with Speedlink, so thankfully, in one respect, their incompetency is actually a good thing for us!

4. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Speaking of joysticks, I'm looking for one. My inconsistent Logitech 3D Extreme bailed out a few years ago and so I bought a Cyborg FLY 5 which seemed to be great albeit I barely used it. I dug it out for ARMA 3 Jets DLC but can't get it detected in any games, though the calibration tools confirm that it is working. Of course, when I originally bought it, I wasn't running Win10.

On the assumption that Logitech (aka Saitek, aka Mat Catz) won't support this old model, what do I buy as a replacement? I'm looking at an absolute max budget of £50. I want something moderately robust, works with Win10, some kind of yaw control and single or dual throttles...

Ideas?

5. Parge

I mean.... I'd personally spend another £10 and get the VKB.

6. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Aesthetically the Speedlink Arrow is a bit ugly IMO, while I acknowledge function is more important for a joystick, I find the none to aesthetic joysticks also tend to look none too ergonomic as well!

For the Money, I still think the Thrustmaster 16000m is one of the best options. Nice 'resistance' when you move the stick and with the exception of the forward trigger (which IMO is a bit big/squared on the edges for my taste), the buttons are well placed. The Stick is a comfortable size (for those of us with larger hands anyway!) and having a twisty handle for rudder work also with good resistance is nice.

Edit: to boot, it's ambidextrous, coming with a thumb contour rubber mold that can be switched to either side with ease. Good for us cack handers!

7. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Comparing the VKB Gladiator and the Speedlink Arrow i would prefer the gladiator trying to get one is proving more of a nightmare

8. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

9. Parge

Twice the price though. What am I getting for that?

10. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

I don't think (was very quick look) you can even get a Speedlink Arrow in UK anymore.
    There is a German store selling on Ebay for £56 not sure on shipping but nothing in UK.

But from what I can tell you get :-
    Better quality control and finishing.
    MaRS (Magneto Resistive Sensor) on the twist access.
    Better software and the ability to firmware update the stick.
    There also some claims the front connection ports don't work on cheaper models but cant find no proof of this.

But as you said not sure is worth almost double the price but that's down to the buyer

11. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Okay so my x55 throttle is dying. First ghost presses, resolved with a powered usb hub, now the hat I've bound to thrusters only works if the throttle is between 20 and 80% - kinda unhelpful trying to land or take off in elite stations.

So I'm thinking CH pro throttle. Reputation is for bulletproof quality.
    Can I appeal to bit tech for validation before I buy? (Purchase to happen as soon as permission negotiated from swmbo).

For context I use VR and VoiceAttack so no longer use/need all the x55 toggle switches.

12. Parge

What is your budget?

13. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Kinda stretching to the 130 for Ch pro. Most to be funded from me selling my old R9 290 card now that anti static bags have been delivered so I can ship it in one.

Warthog is completely out. Don't like the design and ideally don't want controls that require hands to move off throttle in VR.

Alternative suggestions or reasons not to buy Ch are welcomed

Last edited: 15 Nov 2017
  14. PathogenUK

PathogenUK What's a Dremel?

I actually use a Speedlink Airrow, pretty decent stick. Have used it between 3-8 hours a day, everyday for about 3 months. Still all good, though the horizontal spring snapped, and can't find/afford to replace, so bent the old spring and the vertical one. Works again, but a little more resistance than before. Not bad for a £90 stick.

15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Although it's a massive necro, thought it best to ask on this thread as it's the most relevant one that comes up on a forum search - is there a current favourite/recommended (cheapish) stick? I've just got Squadrons so was looking to accessorise.

Have the Thrustmaster T16000 (although apparent quality issues putting me off) and the T.Flight HOTAS (slightly too expensive) on the shortlist but was hoping for something solid and reliable around the £50 mark. Any suggestions?