1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals The Joystick Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 27 Jul 2014.

1. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

That is a gorgeous set of pedals.
    I'd be very tempted to go for the Saitek ones when your new ones arrive, it would definitely be good to get used to pedals before moving away from the X52 so I'm prepared for the lack of twist if I go for a setup that doesn't use that.

That is both hilarious and evil at the same time. :D

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

To be fair, I'm doing my medical finals in April and then off on elective for six weeks in May/June. I could probably be shot of the Saiteks any time now onwards really as I won't be in the position to do any flying until July/August.

3. suenstar

If I bought that off you when I get paid next month, that'd work quite well for starting things in motion for me to start preparing for a full HOTAS upgrade in July.
    Three months should be more than enough practice to get out of the stick twisting control habit.

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Just a thought, the A-10 stick is meant to be used low in your lap between your legs. If you have it off to the side or mounted high, this might force your hands into the wrong position. As compared to the F-16 which is designed from the ground up for side mount.

5. GMC

GMC Minimodder

6. suenstar

I know the feeling, I'm already planning a set amount to put aside each month so I can do a full HOTAS upgrade by August (providing we don't hear from CIG about their partnership offering by then).

That setup does seem quite cool, though for that price I would have expected them to include a basic seat and a mounting system for some monitors.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The Warthog stick is fine in a side-mount position, but it cannot be high - being on a desk is probably too high to be honest. Centre mounting is great, but you generally need to add an extension (5-10cm) to make it a bit taller, and also to allow the stick to be slightly rotated without impacting on axis.

That's ridiculously expensive! It's basically a set of pedals and a Warthog mount. For what is about £1600 you could buy a full Obutto R3volution cockpit, with accessories, the MFG Crosswinds, the Warthog HOTAS and have spare change for TrackIR etc.

As for X55 second hand? I've not seen many come up anywhere to be honest.

8. GMC

GMC Minimodder

well, warthog is on hold for me, much as I want one. pedals and rift come first.

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The joystick thread is my new favourite thread!

I'm thinking about mounting options now. This setup looks like it could work for me, though I won't use pedals.
    [​IMG]

10. GMC

GMC Minimodder

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I'm sure you will like Rhino very much. It is similar to X52PRO and will work perfectly with all our games. Personally I think it's better than Warthog, but that's is just my opinion.

Haha:) Great joke:D

[​IMG]

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

13. GMC

GMC Minimodder

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'm so good at this.

Nor has the plate for the pedals in that picture either?

15. suenstar

Mounting System
    Something like this will be my temporary stick and throttle platform until I decide on which system I'm getting later in the year so I know how it needs to be attached:
    [​IMG]

Warthog
    After watching a selection of videos of people using them yesterday, I'm now in two minds about the Warthog.
    I'd probably like to use the stick, but the throttle looks as if it has fairly loud toggle switches which would potentially drive me (along with anyone else in the house at night) absolutely insane... unless there's some way make those quieter?
    It could be something that I'd get used to, but it's hard to tell exactly how loud they are to people in another room from a video recording where they user has their microphone about 2ft away from the device.

Does anyone know how well you can pair up the Warthog Flight Stick with the CH Pro Throttle?

I've attempted to research the idea of using those two together, but it seems to be quite a rare thing that there isn't a great deal of explanation of how well it works.
    Some games look like they may only pick up one device, but then it looks like it should be fine on things like Elite and Star Citizen where you can create a general profile and map whatever buttons you like.

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The toggle switches are pretty loud, but I hardly ever use them. They can also be actuated quietly by moving them a bit slower, rather than just flicking them. The vast majority of controls you'll use on a regular basis are on the stick or throttle handle.

In terms of pairing the stick with a CH throttle, it should work in SC and ED. I think you might be the guinea pig though?

17. Parge

Ha ha! Cei!

No throttle (or pedals) remember - I'm using the Nostromo.

I've emailed those guys, because I can't find the single Warthog specific mount on their website.

EDIT: @Suenstar- is that from Ikea? Could be an easy way to mod it and make it work.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2015
  18. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yep, suenstar's table is from Ikea.

Parge, where would the Nostromo go then? Mounted on the chair arm?

19. Parge

So, Warthog in the middle by my danglies.

Then Nostromo and Mouse on the desk like I’m playing an FPS.

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Sounds reasonable. Depending on height of the 'hog you may want a 5-10cm extension as well. They further increase accuracy and allow the stick to be rotated in relation to the base, which is much more comfortable for centre mounts. I'm sure Nexxo said he can knock them up.