1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

7.5/10 in my books. Cheap action flick. Couldn't really expect anything more than that from an 80's cartoon series. My summary: People in robotically assisted suits, dodging rockets, jumping through trains, over cars and looking cool in the same scene as not only 1, but 2 nunjas and the Eifel Tower getting destroyed by a green nuke-gun-thing... AWESOME!

8/10 for me.
    exponentially better than clash of the shitetans. Darker, moodier, substantially less annoying. I enjoyed it.

But understandably saying somehting is better than COTT is not saying much at all. :D

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
    I'm a big fan of Terry Gilliam films, but this was totally unexplained most of the way through, not that it usually bothers me in a film, this needed a little more explanation somehow. Then there's the ending. Whoah. I'm one of those people who manages to follow even the most convoluted of plots but I still don't get it, at all.

Until I've watched it again I won't score it, but for now I'd recommend you see it, if only for 2 hours of "WTF?!"
    ?/10

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I haven't seen it yet but I plan to. However, by the way you describe it, it seems like you just lived a "WTF à la Memento" moment

(I'm not sure what I just said makes sense)

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I watched it over the weekend too - I managed to keep up for most of the film, but the last 10 minutes or so was very "WTF". It was very clever the way they used other actors in the Imaginarium sections in place of Heath Ledger.

I'd probably rate it as a 9/10.

5. Krikkit

It actually makes perfect sense, although I must confess I've never seen Memento.

6. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

Serenity.

8.5/10

As a film, it's very good. Thrilling. A beautiful memorial to the Firefly series, and an intense upgrade. However, points are deducted for it lacking the western flavor that Firefly possessed. It was too serious.

Here's a screencap:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Jul 2010
  7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Apparently it's one of those movies where everytime you see it you understand it more/see new things. I don't have the patience to do that :/ I understood it "enough" the first time. I think.

BentAnat - I can see why people like it but it didn't grab me. I haven't seen Clash of the Shiteians, because people told me the best parts were in the trailer and the rest is pants. :p

TheMusician - I actually preferred Serenity. I despised Firefly. /flameproof suit.

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Watch it and you will understand what I meant. When the film ended I was speechless... I had no idea wtf had just happened in the past two hours

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I wasn't as fortunate... I hadn't seen the trailer, and didn't have any friends that had seen the film. So I watched it and now I am one of those friends... ;)

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
    7/10
    Complete stoner film, but some parts still have me giggling. I love the little cross references in the "view askewniverse" ("Those are the mad notes, yo. Written by god herself" or "You can always tell that gay Amy story, but ...")

10. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Title: Daybreakers
    Rating: 7/10
    Reasons: A vampire film which (unusually for American TV and film) doesn't feminise the monster. Tightly written, turning the traditional vampire/human theme around, and while the story falters a little towards the very end, it's ultimately an enjoyable film.

11. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Annapolis
    7/10
    About a kid trying to get into the navy. Most people probably wouldn't like it, but it caught my attention.

Percy Jackson & The Lightening Thief
    7/10
    Quite liked the film, but lacked the penultimate moment in the storyline. I know the main character is a demi-god and all that, but would have been nice to see some more special effects. Went through the whole film thinking, any minute there's going to be some epic powers he will find from nowhere and kick the "baddies bum"

12. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

my only problem with the ending was how it defied the laws of physics.
    ...at the end his head should have come off. After falling from that height and achieving that speed with a chain wrapped around his neck, the chain should have popped his head off like a cork.

edit: History of the World Part 1.
    8/10
    pretty funny. It doesn't actually make any historical sense, considering the chronological order of events, but that doesn't really distract from the movie.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2010
  13. Krikkit

:hehe: I agree that it's an enjoyable film but I reckon the plot does a little more than falter. The ending feels like a total cop-out to me, not to mention the ridiculous scene towards the end.

14. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Definitely. The first and second acts in Daybreakers held so much promise. It started as a unique twist on the dystopian future genre, was beautifully shot and had a considerably fleshed out world (I love it when films think about what small details and changes their fiction might actually cause in the universe - such as cars with a 'daylight mode' and all interior decor being devoid of wood furnishings).

But as it went on it just turned into a typical vampire action movie. Very disappointing, it could of been a lot more.

15. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Unfortunately, the vampire genre is so played out at the moment. With Anne and Rice Stephenie Meyer awful Mills & Boonery coupled with current sexed up TV and film portrayals, they must be literally pouring buckets of water on Bram Stoker's grave lest the friction of his spinning corpse pour fourth rivers of indignant flame.

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

500 days of summer

8.5/10

Great movie about relationships. The posters make it look like a chick flick but it's more than that. It's definitely a couple movie but even for a single guy like me it was a pleasure to watch. The characters are believable and you actually care about what happens to them. It's not a comedy but the jokes in this movie made me laugh more than most comedies do these days.

Very, very good movie

also... Zooey Deschanel <3

17. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Taken

8/10 (at least)

Came out in 2008 and only just got round to watching it last night but DAMN was that an epic film!
    Liam Neeson was pretty ace in it, so emotionally driven, and the girl who plays his daughter, brilliant actress.

18. DaveMon

DaveMon The end is nigh! Repent!

I agree but maybe a 9/10 for the film.

:rock:

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

The greatest thing about Taken is how unexpectedly awesome it is the first time you see it

20. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

I dunno, I thought the greatest thing about Taken is that it is more than just a movie about a guy that beats the living tar out of people, it actually has a good story driving it.