1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Cloverfield

6.5/10

Slow start, but it was done so you got a feeling for the characters, rather than them just being cannon fodder for later on. Action sequences were pretty well done though the cgi wasn't quite as well polished as I'd have liked, though being shot from the viewpoint of a handycam + good cgi was pretty cool, if not entirely original. The Clover seemed much too bullet/missile/bazooka/bomb proof though really, took away the believability rather a lot ( vs Godzilla who was just fast enough to avoid most shots, the Clover took plenty of big hits but showed no signs of damage... ) which kinda spoiled things.

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Tron (6,5/10)
    the original one...aged pretty well, still makes more or less sense.
    I had to explain to my wife what a lightcycle race is supposed to be (sneaky snakes rang a bell :D), and Arcades are something that didn't exist in her youth anymore...

It does...well the first third anyway :D

3. windy

windy What's a Dremel?

Zatoichi (9/10)

Rewatched for the umpteen time. Japanese film with dark humour, lots of stylised blood and cracking performances. Even a big dance routine at the end. Directed by and starring Takeshi Kitano, as in Takeshi's Castle!

4. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

I think brainless isn't necessarily meant as an insult, at least when I say it. It could be brainless in the sense that entertainment isn't derived from a suspenseful psychological element, like for example, Shutter Island. You don't have to pay a huge amount of attention to follow it and it won't leave you pondering for days afterwards.

I definitely agree about Denzel though, he is one of my favorites. His humor was subtle but top notch and he played the character very well. He seemed to fit into the role so effortlessly and he was just at ease.

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Not a movie but this evening i watched The Spitfire:Britain's flying Past on iplayer at the suggestions of the missus (i work til 10) and it was great. It actually focused a little more on the people who's lives it affected not just the aircraft itself.

Didn't think it deserved its own thread and this seemed to best place to put it out there :) Any aviation fan will enjoy i hope :)

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Just watched it in bluray...

It was AWESOME and got me in such a great mood that I'm listening to this at very high volume at 1am :hehe:

Guest-16 likes this.
  7. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Drive

8.5-9/10

Great movie that is sort of an homage to 80s movies. Starts out as sort of an indie drama with a dialogue-free love story. And then it slowly turns into the downfall of a psychopath, losing control in unwinnable situations. I'd definitely recommend it.

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Generation Kill: 9/10

Not really a movie but a series on HBO. Isn't afraid to tell the hard stories about war, it sucks for everyone involved. Plus James Ransone really reminds me of christian bale and is funny as hell given the conditions.

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'm going to be working my way through 2011 DVD releases so here's the first:

The Perfect Host 7/10

A very difficult film to rate...certainly not popular with the critics, but I actually liked it - all I can say is watch it without watching the trailer. It's very short (only 90mins) so it's not like you're wasting a lot of time. :)

10. Jimbob94

Jimbob94 What's a Dremel?

Limitless 9/10

Very good film with a good plot and very good acting

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Transformers 3 6.5/10

honestly it was better then i thought it was going to be. John Malkovich and Alan Tudyk stole the film tho.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I saw Drive Angry a few weeks ago. 2/10, the 2 points are from Amber Heard being incredibly hot. The rest of the movie is just the worst sh*t I have ever seen

13. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy:

Good acting, good cinematography, but a little bit dull and a bit confusing unless you've read the book / are concentrating a lot!

6/10

Wish I'd gone to see the InBetweeners instead! :)

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Too bad the ending had more holes than the drug supplier's brain...

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah didn't care much for limitless either.. robert dinero was much better as a mexican in machete

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Robert Dinero is just always himself.

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

you ever watch boondocks? have to give this episode 10.10

18. Jimbob94

Jimbob94 What's a Dremel?

Yeah I know...

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Priest (6.5/10)
    appearantly based on a comic...which I didn't know.
    The movie isn't bad, an alternative vampire/human timeline with vampires different than usual.
    Can't decise if it's a sci-Fi, a Western or Dystopian, so ends up a mixture of all three.
    Again, I suppose they follow the comics.
    Starts quite good, continues well, than ends rather abrubtly. It's also very short (less than 1-1/2 hours)
    Liked Paul Bettany though.

Ants on a Plane (1/10) i kid you not
    Best avoided, it's so bad, you can't look away, but not bad enough to be good again.
    ÜberMEH :D

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Is it worse than Supercroc, which last time I checked didn't even have a wikipedia article on it, in spite of there being a sequel?