1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Having depth on a racing game is very good and having tried tomb raider in 2d versus 3d... 2d sucks the life right out of it.

Real baps would be preferable especially on a girl who looks like Lara. I already got the 3d monitor, 2 pairs of 3d vision 2 glasses so I dunt have to worry.

The extra GPU overhead can be a problem though. Tomb raider on ultra is too much for a single 680 even overclocked +145mhz core and +450mhz vram.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The Rift..... now in HD.

"the company has upgraded the goggles to 1080p — and based on a few minutes of time with Rifts old and new, the upgrade makes a huge difference"

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

4. Stanley Tweedle

Yup, I am amazed how much Palmer and his team have achieved since funding took off.

Until a certain point I think even earlier this year all I was seeing was the cardboard and ducktape Oculus on websites and vids. Now we see a far more professional product.

I am quite shocked at some of the misinformation circulating about HMD VR though. Luckey has done a great job in getting information out but there's a percentage who know next to nothing about it yet are very quick to put forth their opinion.

Someone had replied on an Oculus feature over at Google+ that in his opinion there had been little change in the technology and that Oculus probably wouldn't do very well and he was going to wait a few generations on.

In his opinion Oculus was not going to be anymore successful than previous generations.

I explained that display tech has improved enormously from the days when I had an 800 x 600 HMD with poor contrast costing £950. I also told him that Palmer must be doing something right because of the Unreal 4 integration alone.

Yesterday someone else came along complaining about the "double vision... they need to fix the double-vision". A few of us pointed out that the "double vision" combined to produce a stereoscopic image. It seems he was too stupid to understand this and came back with another post about "double-vision" and he posted a youtube link showing a video of someone sitting in a virtual chopper with the 2 images we typically see in Oculus vids. Unparalleled stupidity.

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have seen a few videos of this and it's looks really good.

Will wait for reviews etc but I can see myself getting one probably at some point.

6. Stanley Tweedle

Take on Mars simulation is coming and I think I read Oculus there somewhere...

Since Take on Mars will have 1st person views of Mars rovers descending into Mars atmosphere and landing (or crashing) I think it will be spectacular.

Oculus is able to convey a sense of scale in the 3d world. Something that's obviously missing with conventional displays.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

8. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I'd love a set, more so if I could use them to replace my monitor with one (that would be the killer feature). The desktop would look odd I'd imagine though.

9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

That would be really cool, if you could use it for everything and not need a monitor again but I think the novelty of it would wear off pretty soon and get annoying.

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I got a chance to see Oculus Rift up close and personal a month ago, looked pretty neat. Quality build whilst I didnt have a go I did speak to a game designer. The fact that I could wear them without my glasses as the lenses are so close to the eye unless your blind you can see the image clearly.

The game dev wore glasses too xD

Im not sold on purchasing tbh.

11. Stanley Tweedle

A friend of mine with a lot of VR gear got his Oculus Dev kit last week. He also has the over-priced Sony TMZ-1.

He's really impressed with the Oculus dev kit. Resolution isn't so critical as many people assume and the dev kit is quite an experience even at it's current screen res.

It's actually what gaming needs. A conventional system with fixed window you have to pan around with mouse isn't that great. Gaming really needs HMD as far as I'm concerned. Apparently the sense of scale is phenomenal with Oculus. My friend has the virtual cinema app and he said watching a movie is like an imax experience whereas on his £900 Sony TMZ-1 it's like a small image through a tunnel.

12. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Just...want.....

How much will this be at retail?

And seriously where can I preoder one? I want one. Day one.

13. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Taken from the Oculus site

Currently the Dev kit version is some $300 so I would expect the retail version to be less than that once they iron out the final specs and start mass production.

14. Stanley Tweedle

No pre-order for HD consumer yet. That is a long time away.

https://www.oculusvr.com/pre-order/

15. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

They haven't got much in the way of competition so I wouldn't be so sure. If you compare $300 or a tad below that to monitors, headphones and mobiles its not an unusually high price. If you compare it to a proper home cinema projector setup its great value.
    The dev kit is probably cheap to encourage software support. 1080p and other upgrades in the consumer version could justify the price remaining static.

16. Stanley Tweedle

Palmer has stated that he wants the consumer version to be a similar price.

He wants to get everything right rather than failing like Sony and previous HMD makers have done.

17. Stanley Tweedle

Last edited: 29 Jul 2013
  18. Xir

Xir Modder

I think it's very inexpensive, seeing what other VR kits used to cost.
    Low pricing is probably the key for viability of the project, because it is a gadget for gaming after all.

At ~50pounds a go, the rift will pay for itself fast! :D (or whats the going rate in the UK these days.)

19. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I thought they upgraded all the consumer sets to HD?

20. Stanley Tweedle

The consumer sets will all be HD. Some people wonder if the dev kits are being upgraded to HD too but the answer is no.

If anyone orders a dev kit they will still get the 1280 display. Still a pretty good VR experience thought since the display is much better than the bad old days of HMDs.

My old IO-Systems PC3d had an 800x600 display but the clarity was so bad most games were unplayable. Bad contrast etc.