1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Too many cooks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 2 Sep 2010.

1. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I want 2 modes.

1. The fastest mode for gaming, encoding/decoding, heavy workhorse stuff.

2. Idle, surfing, really quiet mode

I really don't need 30 'toys', I just want 2.

2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I completely agree with this blogpost. It actually gets quite annoying when a company has numerous different but similarly hyperbolic names for simple features of the motherboard; especially if they insist on using those names in the BIOS without offering any descriptive helptext on the right-hand side to explain what the hell it is.

The first culprit of it for me was my abit AN8 back in the day. Between OTES cooling and various stupidly-named overclocking features I found myself quite lost as to what most of it was for. I would have gotten to grips with the board and overclocking in general much sooner had they used normal, functional, google-able names for the various parts and featues.

3. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

+1

Though I wouldn't mind a third mode.

Idle (web browsing), casual (light gaming, increase fan speeds slightly), intense (intense games, turn off all extra windows stuff to free up memory, max fan speeds).

4. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Seems to be a problem with computer marketing generally (graphics cards being another notable example). I chuckled at seeing my Gigabyte motherboard being described as "Ultra Durable" on the box - does that mean it takes longer than a month to become obsolete?

On the other hand, it's extra entertainment for PC builders and reviewers.

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

6. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

@Unknownsock
    I don't think anybody walks into a shop without having a predetermined plan, then looks at the boxes, then buys a motherboard.
    I don't think any shop outside asia even has the boxes on display, and only people that build their own rigs buy motherboards and those people don't browse boxes, especially since you need a motherboard for the exact type of CPU you want and the type of GPU setup you plan to get so you can't really get a random, motherboard based on the look of the box.
    Mind you the point is still OK if you say 'webpage' instead of 'box'.

Tags: Add Tags