1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Tranc3's random builds log

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tranc3, 27 Aug 2007.

1. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

thanks for all the feed back! welll as most of you know, schools back in and i have hardly no time for this.. but i work on it afther school. and such. im having proplems wiht the paint.. i sand it (wet sand with 1000) then do a another coat.. and it still dose the "patchy look" what am i to do.

2. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

IMHO part of the problem is the use of spray paint. I've noticed that spray cans don't provide a continuous flow of paint (often comes out in a pulsed fashion).

3. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

hmm. well do you think a "higher" grade of spray paint would help? or is there any way to "work" with the stuff i have now?

4. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Light sanding and a good polishing?

5. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

"Higher grade" spray paint would probably produce better results than regular spray paint; but the major problem with spray paint still exists. Spray paints don't provide results as good as with a spray gun due to the aerosol propellant not always providing a continuous paint flow as well as the pressure dropping as the can gets empty.

If you can get a spray gun (or at least an airbrush) you'll be very happy with the results. BTW, I've actually seen airbrushes at Big Lots for ~$8; and they seem to be just as good as the Badgers that sell for $30+.

6. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

lol i was going to pick one of those up(big lots airbrush). i could find a compressor.. and would u happen to know about tips for them? can i get like wide spray tips or w.e?

7. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

Something that also helps while using spray cans is to heat them up.
    Not to much...as it can get dangerous...
    I heat them up in hot water (~50°C) for about 10 minutes.
    It also raises the pressure and you get a continuous paint flow.

Alan

8. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

This looks cool!:thumb: I like the yellow chassis idea with the subtle exterior.

Great tip from theAlien.

Will keep watching this one.

9. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

With an airbrush you have 2 adjustments; air pressure and nozzle position. The air pressure (set at the compressor or with an inline regulator) effects the paint flow rate. The nozzle position adjusts the spray pattern; keep in mind that if the nozzle is out of the air jet the it won't draw any paint.

10. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

That's a good idea, haven't thought of that, I'll try it tomorrow.

I might buy some paint and i could use 500's airbrush.

Thank you both for the assistance. I'm Fairly new to modding. I'm more of a hardware guy.

11. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

For plastic the model paints (model master or testors) from a hobby shop are real nice (IIRC Wal-Mart stocks a limited selection as well)

BTW, I'm working on my first mod as well; lucky for me though, I'm not new to building $h*t

12. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

haha good to hear good luck with your's i've been looking at it from time to time btu im on dial up so its hard to follow all the mods on here as much as i'd like to. but from what I've seen it looks good.

13. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

I know what you mean about dial-up; it really is a PITA.

14. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

haha yes in deed they keep geting my hopes up with "high speed coming in 2 months" 2 months rolls by.. "we need more time"
    im like seriously my neighborers have this (riding up the road with the laptop and wifi can't reach it here tho lol...)

15. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

So this is the temporarily home of hidden sun.
    A cramp mid tower 500 had siting around... that didn't have amd xp 1700+ boards in mind. the cpu fan is under the psu, witch is why there is a second fan attached to the pci slot.. but this seems to be a vear efficant cooling. the cpu is just at or below room temps with wmp running.
    [​IMG]

16. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

With air (or even water) cooling it's impossible to get sub-ambient CPU temps. Since that's a low power CPU it doesn't surprise me for it to idle right around the ambient temp.

17. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

I was going by touch. I didn't it couldn't be below room temp? learn something every day.. it's the hottest running cpu I've ever used lol its loud the's fans have seen better days. in the 90's
    [​IMG]

18. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Mine is temporarily louder.
    Stupid 3rd rate fans.

19. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Haha, thats what you get for using stock fans from a 35 dolor rosewill in a aerocool.

20. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Alrighty, At 500mph's. Making some progress.
    Front panel and grill
    [​IMG]
    Top panel with dual 60mm fans (there a lil out of line but the tools are 10+ years old so I'm going to see if i can fix them:/ there not too bad as is but on is a lil bit to far in.
    [​IMG]
    this is just the chassis needs to be sanded and repainted.
    [​IMG]
    We started sanding the left side panel its almost bare. we most likely will continue this tomorrow and so forth hopefully striping the chassis, it's chipped/peeling in some places

Last edited: 16 Sep 2007
Tags: