1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Tribes: Ascend

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by specofdust, 23 Jun 2012.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Since the various other threads about the beta for this died a death, I figured I'd start a new one.

Tribes: Ascend is a free to play multiplayer only shooter, focussed on capture the flag predominantly, but with a few other modes too.

The big thing about tribes is it's all momentum in Tribes. You have "skis" which you can use to rapidly go down hill, and a jetpack for going up hills to retain momentum. It sounds a bit lame but it works fantastically well.

Also, it's free. While you can spend real money on upgrades for your character if you want, I've been getting on just fine without doing so.

So, any other players out there? I figure there must be the odd person around who plays it? For those looking to die, my username is as per here.

edit:

List of names of Bit-tech players:

1. specofdust
    2. Neuropirate
    3. nethlyn
    4. x-log
    5. steveom
    6. TheToy
    7. Funguss

edit2: For anyone signing up, feel free to use this link, it'll get me neato stuff and is otherwise no different from the normal signup.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2012
    megadriveguy likes this.
  2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It has a good following dunt it? I played it years ago. Considered downloading it recently but chickened out.

Maybe I will give it a go.

BTW... It might be my birthday soon so I was wondering if you could aid me in not saying things which are very likely to get me banned from the forums.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Jun 2012
  3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The series has a huge following, yes. Ascend was only released this April and no doubt there are plenty of people staying playing Tribes 2 instead of Ascent in the same way that folk play 1.6 and not CSS, but it seems relatively popular for now.

As for your birthday, you're about > < far from discipline in the only way we know how. Keep that in mind.

4. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Used to love it, but was put off by the reporting system; lots of false positives, good players in a server of baddies run the risk of getting banned through people reporting them.

I was banned after having an awesome game and people accusing me of being a l33t hax0r, they unbanned me two days later after contacting support and gave me a bit of gold, but put me off rather a bit.

It's coming to steam soon, so expect a bump in players as fresh meat arrives. :p
    [​IMG]

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It would seem that there isn't a huge amount of new meat right now, but plenty of casuals from April. I started last night but at rank 3 I'm mostly ending up in servers of people who're rank 6-8.

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Uninstalled it the other day after playing it after the latest patch and just finding it very mushy, not how I remembered it from a month or two ago, but quite a few of my friends are loving it.

7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I have lost interest in games playing recently.

8. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

This is Tribes only in name. Hi-Rez destroyed/mutated the franchise beyond recognition.

Despite countless threads, thousands of posts, and general outcry they keep doing things "their way" and more people leave. The "l33t haxor" mentality also never had any place in Tribes. This is now just another Modern Warfare-like game with a jetpack and 13 year olds who cannot accept that there are better players out there than themselves.

9. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Dont you mean Cashshop:Ascend heh heh heh.

10. GeorgeStorm

As someone who's never played the original.
    What do you mean by the l33t haxor mentality?

11. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Skill was respected. An MA (mid-air shot) on a target moving at very high speed (200+kph) was a sign of a skilled player. In Tribes:Ascend it's an excuse to whine and complain to the admins to ban a player. Apparently if everyone isn't as bad as you- they shouldn't be allowed to play.

12. GeorgeStorm

So you're moaning about the player base, not the game?

adzc1987 likes this.
  13. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

I've played a fair few (400+) matches and haven't found that to be an issue. I've only ever had someone try to get a player kicked once. I just find that people constantly spam the voice commands for the whole game regardless of how well they may or may not be doing, but you quickly learn to block it out...

Back to the game, I really enjoy it. Easily my most played game. It's also the only fps of any sort I have really got into.

14. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

I absolutely loved it even given the amount of autos, but being banned for playing well soured me so much, It is a good game though, let not my negativity affect ye' :D

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I've read an awful lot about how poor the customer service is and how frequently people are banned simply because others claim they've cheated, and the company not checking then issuing bans and not reminding them in most cases. Pretty damning stuff, and puts me off getting into it too much because I used to get accused of cheating constantly in CSS.

16. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Customer Service? Its free to play I would not expect it not to amount to much! lol

Cant get into this too much, im terrible at shooting lol, i prefer to be engi and defend with sentrys and the like.

I have always been a terrible capper in any CTF games.

17. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Played it a bit but all my games are feeling a bit neglected since diablo 3 came out (did play it once when the servers were down ;))

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I tend to get frustrated doing defence and watching people go out and screw everything up, so I'm pretty much always a scout/capper person in FPS like this. It's a shame there's so little communication, because most of the new players are absolutely god awful, and it would be great if people just gave them the odd hint here and there (e.g. don't take the flag when you're a soldier and you're moving at 50kph).

19. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Once you get past the introductory servers with the level cap and get to play with experienced people it gets better, but there's always a llama just when you're about to grab, it's the law :D

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Quick question I can't find the answer to, is it normal to have trouble adding friends? Me and two other friends have all attempted to add each other, and none of us can see an invite. Quite strange.