News Vista sold 20m licenses in first month

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Mar 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Legal licenses, now for some reason I believe that is due to the OEM manufacturers.

And the 3 million difference over XP? In the grand scheme of things, since XPs release I reckon that increase is proportionately small, when you consider the number of PCs being bought from OEMs has increased a lot more then that.

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Doug, re-read the article. Vista sold 20m in one month, while XP did in two and that increase is 135% while the market has only grown 77%. So no, it's not just the OEMs at all...

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I still don't think that 20million is a lot, especially when they don't say what version, if it's Ultimate then I find that unbelievable, if it's home then that's believable more because most PCs that run XP will run Home, if it's Business, well that sums it up.

Also, if Bit linked to the actual Press Release from Microsoft they could quote them as saying that the licenses were:

Now, I do believe that Windows Vista Express Upgrade started last year when laptops and PCs were being sold at that time. So Microsoft will have included those upgrades in their figures.

I do not know exactly when that program started but I am pretty sure that it is a fair few months ago, and as soon as Microsoft kicked off their upgrade program most users of machines that were given the upgrade voucher would have cashed them in, or the OEMs themselves would have ordered the upgrades.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2007
  5. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I suppose it was to be expected. I don't know of any other operating system that has been hyped as much as Vista - and I'm happy that one of those 20m licenses is mine, albeit an OEM one.

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Now that is cheeky of them.

7. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins What's a Dremel?

Bah. I just hope I can get away with XP until Vista sp2 or so ...

And, yes, somehow, what was to be expected? Every OEM-PC out there must be Vista now I think. So sure they would sell a lot of copies ... or force them upon people :worried:

cheers,
    btb

8. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Wonder how many illegal copies have been made so far then?? ;)

Anyway I have just found out that I don't need vista until mid-2008, when Guild Wars 2 (beta) comes out in full DirectX10 glory :D

9. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Even then you dont need to use Vista for your DirectX 10 needs... roll on the linux distro.. XSOS, which is able to play your windows games including the all new DirectX 10 :D

you can find some info from this forum here...
    http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1878061

this is also a FREE os, not warezed :D

oh forgot to add, "4) As per the microsoft agreement we request you to own a valid microsoft operating system."

(this would be a valid XP system)

this might prove to be a wise move, considering that vista has some fundamental bugs...
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/26/vista_copying_bug/
    "not even capable of moving and deleting files in an efficient manner,"

so Vista really is n00b safe !!! :D :naughty:

Last edited: 28 Mar 2007
  10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

#

OMG, it's like a dream come true

11. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

i feel sorry for the users that have purchased and made the move to the expensive yet incomplete Vista OS... as in 2 years time, windows blackcomb is due for release in 2009 (blackcomb is the codename). so is vista worth it :confused: :rolleyes:

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well when you had Win95... Win98 come out soon after....
    If you think this way, in 2009, you will STILL not upgrade because you will be like... "well in 3 years they will be a new one"...

The only reason is because you know that it is coming....

My brother works at hardware chipset manufacture, which I am not going to name...
    He is now like you, he can not buy the latest hardware of what his company released, as they (he and his team) are working on the second model in the series after. Meaning that he know that their is a model already done... yet not release...
    you may ask why they do that? Well it's totally acceptable as in case their newly release one, fails... they have plan 2. Remember, hardware manufactures don't make much money. Well they do, by engineers are expensive.

13. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I'd say yes, as Vista Ultimate OEM cost me £110 - that's about £4.58 a month over 2 years, which isn't bad considering.

14. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

The open beta I think was a big success, let us see why we should move to Vista. I myself will be getting Vista (probably Ultimate) later in the year.

15. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

xp got 17 in 2 months and vista around the same figure in 1 month?

how about the difference in the number of computers/users 6 years ago and now?

16. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

Vista isn't quite as bad as some would like to think it is. the copying bug was found only on certain PC's (none of them homebuilt) and was not overly common to begin with. most of the other issues fall into the Driver and Legacy Software categories; but to advance at all something has to take a hit. consider this, do we make a big deal out of the fact that some of our old pentiums don't work with the 680i boards? no, because the dropping of older standards and hardware is the reasonable price of progress. The exact same can be said of vista, the old many-times-patched stuff was re-written, at the price of 3 months or so of teething issues. the real question to ask is, has a bigger problem been solved than the one that was created? (I'm not even going to touch that one..)

17. TimB

TimB What's a Dremel?

As stated in the article, "According to research, 52 million computers were sold in 2002, while over 92 million are expected this year. Of course, that's only a 77% increase - Vista sales increased 135% over XP."

I'm glad the bittech article acknowledged that fact too. Every other site skates around the issue hoping you won't notice that fact.

18. Nature

Nature Minimodder

MS is also counting all the XP-to-Vista upgrades for the millions of laptops world wide not yet sold. Then reinstalled with the new OS as soon as Vista came out. Nobody has to buy the lappy for the company to buy the OS...

19. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Nature.. you will be SOOO SURPRISED....
    I'm a student at small college (< 2000), and I can name you 23 people just like that. And most of them don't even know they have a free Vista upgrade

20. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

20 million sold doesn't mean 20 million in use. I've bought a bunch of laptops and desktops over the past 3 months. All upgrade coupons were submitted and the recent machines were bought with Vista. The first thing I did was format and install XP. As a corporation we're not using Vista until late 07 or early 08. So I probably account for 20 of those 20 million but they are essentially going to sit on a shelf for a year. I'm sure a lot of those 20 million fall into a similar situtation. Got them because they could (or because it was essentailly free) but no plans to use them.

Tags: Add Tags