1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I hope you've all been riding if the weather is as good where you are, sunny with a hint of breeze.

Went to Woburn Sands today for the first time, nice and dry surprisingly quiet (apart from at the jump area) and loads of nice trails. Managed to rack up 120miles on the MTB this week with 9400ft of climbing, pretty knackered but the weather is too nice (and trails dry) to not go out.

Nice one Cookie Monster, have you made a club within Strava as well?, they can be made private.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

My local trail that, its usually pretty quiet bar the jump area glad its dry ill be out there tomorrow gets pretty claggy in paces in the wet. Im going to see if i can persuade my Strava client to work if it does ill send my details over

3. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Yer it was bone dry, lovely :)

4. legoman

Perfect ill see what my new forks are like on those long sandy climbs :lol:

5. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Ive just got back from a short run to try out the strava app, and my first pair of padded shorts. My phone died part way through the ride but recorded most of it, Is it worth upgrading to the premium version?

Padded shorts where have you been all my life!!!!

6. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Yer padded shorts are great, a good set of bib shorts are even better :thumb:

No I wouldn't bother with premium, be careful the Strava bug doesn't get you!. It will make you fitter and faster (has helped me) but you'll prob burn out or crash in the process at some point, happens to everyone when you first get into it. It's a great motivator if your out on your own, I found it gave me a reason to try up the hills and generally put a bit more effort in. I just don't let it encourage me into doing stupid things or take any more risk than normal, which seems to be where all the complaints about it stem from.

7. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

As usual you've put the meat on the bones Malv. Cheers for taking the time to write that down. :thumb:

As to the DUDE BRO culture, I've happened to catch this show - Drop In - a few times on the tube lately and it's very much show-casing the feckless idiots half these guys are. Obviously, most of them are either rich kids or firmly middle-upper class but act otherwise, it's seriously annoying to listen to. I've got no problem with rich kids or the middle-upper class, in any capacity, if humble, much less MTB'ing, but these arrogant ******s do the scene no favours IMO. :rolleyes:

8. legoman

I know the sort, the type that comes out with a nukeproof scalp or on one 456 carbon while still at school bragging they bought it themselves (with pocket money) then mocking your bike and riding like a tard. plenty round my way!

9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

What advantages do the bib shorts have?

Went to pick up my bikes from their service and both are running like new again. I had a good old drool over the Bronson but the picture's a bit crap as there was not enough room for my camera to get it all in and the the shops quite dark. They have one of the first seven in the UK in for display (carbon) and are getting some alu ones in for demo ASAP. Looking forward to taking one out and comparing it to the Tallboy LT and Blur LT. Apologies as I am begining to sound like a SA obsessive.

[​IMG]

I tried Strava but it does not play nicely on my phone and does not record anything. (known bug)

Last edited: 6 May 2013
  10. legoman

Went out an attacked the woods today with my new forks. My god they actually work! Im not holding on so tight now as the front forks actually do something more than bounce the front of the bike about!

Two pics that sum up todays ride nicely.

Firstly, rather gentile woodland

[​IMG]

Annnnnnd Banzai diving through spiky evil grose bush

[​IMG]

11. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

I was wondering if you guys know how to remove grips off the handlebar?? I just don't like the way the grips looks.. they're worn out on the ends.. etc.. I tried twisting the grips off but those are frigging tight..

12. legoman

Pics? Usually they are either lock on ones which have caps and grub screws or push ons, which are just rubber it does sound like you have the latter. From memory just keep twisting an pulling at the same time its about all you can do.

13. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Yeah they were the pushons ones.. I don't like the way they feel on my hands.. so will get a new set when I get some money .. so for now my used bike.. It's a Norco Bigfoot.. 2008 if I recall correctly.. it was sold to me for $200.. not sure how much is that on the other side of the pond over there.

And the last owner painted the handlebar green.. with his initals on there.. JW.. I decide to get a new handlebar because it's too short for my arms.. I want to be comfortable all around.. I have very long arms..

And I have pictures.. just not uploaded to my pc yet..

14. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Saw my stolen bike being ridden on yesterday. A fat man cycling with his daughter. So gutting. Like seeing a BMW M3 being driven by a old lady :(, you just know the bike is never going to see a dirt trail again.

15. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Whoa, that sucks big time, Bagman..

I don't know what else to say since I never got my bikes (in the past) stolen before. How did your bike get stolen in the first place, Bagman??

16. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Grab a knife and cut them off, provided you don't want them any longer. A single slice will do the trick - right down the length of the bar.

[​IMG]

So I got new wheels on the Tricross today. Not sold on the colour, but these were a very good price and marked every box I need for this bike (strong enough for off-road usage, sub-500g, 32 spoke, solid braking surface). Must say though that having an excuse, such as building up a new wheel set, to take a two and a half hour lunch break was rather nice. All the existing red bits are going to get swapped over to something else because they don't really fit in with the purple all that well.

On an interesting side note: after fitting these wheels I've realised that it wasn't the frame or fork that was feeling flobbery or fatigued, it was the wheels :D

Also I would like to take this time to mention that most wheel manufacturers agree that running with less than one millimetre of braking surface thickness is dangerous. My old rear wheel measured in at about 0.8mm - at it's thickest. Glad I replaced them!

17. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Short version: I used a shitty D lock.

Long version: I am currently at uni and have 2 bikes, 1 for commuting and the other for weekend hoons/trails. I was invited to a friends 21st birthday, I live off campus and he lives on campus, now normally i would have walked (takes 20 mins to walk) but I had a busted ankle. So I cycled, but because my commuter bike had a puncture (at this point it has been about 2 weeks with it having a puncture) I took my mountain bike.

Where I live off campus I lock my bike in a bike shed so it is out of view from thieving scum bags. But I was forced to lock my bike up on campus in view of other people. I thought this wouldn't be a problem. But because is used a cheap D lock they took it. The one and only day I put my bike in view.

What really pisses me off is the probability of this all. Because I had a busted ankle I had to cycle number 1. Because I was lazy and didn't fix my puncture number 2 (my commuter bike has a much better lock and no quick release fittings, it is almost thief proof). Because I was a cheap *******, I bought a cheap lock number 3. Because I go to the same uni to this friend who I haven't met in 10 years number 4. Because his birthday just happened to be when my ankle was busted number 5. My bike got stolen. Now that is what I call bad luck. If any of those factors were different my bike wouldn't of been stolen.

Any way insurance payed up and I am looking for a new mountain bike.

18. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

oh wow.. that sucks big time still, Bagman.

On another note, I managed to get the stupid grips off.. those were on really tight.. now I'm going to get an new handlebar.. Do any of you guys know where I can order online in Canada and that uses paypal??

I just don't like the ones that came with my Norco Bigfoot.. too short in my opinion.. need it to be longer.. more comfy that way for me..

:EDIT:.. 6 more posts away from the dreaded 666th posts!!!

19. legoman

I think Malvolio is your best bet on grips being from Canada as well.

Bagman you though of reporting you've seen it at all? Ok the guy may not be the their but least he could point the police in the direction of the person they bought it from.

20. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I know its too late but the best way to remove grips is to insert a long thin screwdriver between the grip and the handlebar then use some form of liquid to break the seal between them. A "lube" will work but will take ages to dry and will allow the grips to slip, same goes for spray deodorant, washing up liquid, beer and water. The best thing to use is hairspray. All have been mentioned to me by customers who have tried them.

When replacing the grip cover the bar and inside of the grip with hairspray and slide it on, give it maybe half an hour to set and your done.