1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Just use the pedals. One side fits an sad shoe which can be bought for £50/65 ish and upwards, or don't use that side and use standard shoes/trainers on the other side.

Why do you need a chain tool to adjust the chain? Is it too long (which would require a chain tool) or are the gears badly setup? Which wouldn't require a chain tool.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Sorry thought it was from a store.
    SPD wise loads of choice the SPD SL's work well im lazy an use the MTB SPD's. I say lazy when we go out as a group im usually the one theat has to go in to the shop as they all skate about like bambi on ice with the exposed cleats.

Id be half tempted to chuck some cheapy flats on so you get used to the bike itself then move onto clipless pedals or toestraps.

3. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Just about on topic here, I suddenly find that the wife has now gotten the bike bug, its been a looong time since she'd been on a bike so after a brief trip along the canal path she's feeling a bit saddle sore at the moment. So in the mean time, as our dinky little car (Fiesta) can only fit one bike in the back and I'm keen to encourage her to continue by trying different routes I now find myself in need of a bike rack, does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm looking for something that can take two bikes that doesn't need a tow hook and will do the job without damaging either the car or the bikes and will hold them securely. I looked in Halfords at the weekend and their bargain basement model was £50 with the next one at £60 and then a jump to £100 and onwards. I'll only get one shot at this so I'm hoping somebody can offer some advice on a good option.

4. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Yeah the Chain is too long, I will post a picture when I cba of the setup.

It did come with standard ish pedals. A box of innertubes. A Pump (Technically Two, one a specialized one and one of the frame of the bike). 4 Spare Tyres (2 sets of knobblies and one hybrid). And some Micheal Jackson Gloves.

5. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

I have the Exodus (£99.99) one from Halfords and have had for a few years now. Really good and have hung 3 bikes of the back of the car without trouble. Doesn't fit my MX5 unfortunately so I now use a Saris Bones 3 which is also a brilliant rack. Either of those two would suit you. Don't get the Saris Bones 2 though, the 3 is more stable.

6. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

7. Cookie Monster

Is your wife's bike a ladies specific frame or is she riding a gents? Be careful with ladies bikes on racked as the dropped top tube can make it difficult to carry. Some racks may have a thin enough tube to slot between the seat stays and seat tube. Others may need an additional bar purchased which clips onto the bike giving it a gents style top tube.

Saris bones are good racks, but I think the size of the rack may stop you hanging a ladies bike like mentioned above.

Personally I wouldn't spend less than £100 on a rack going off the tat I've seen people rock up to the shop with their bikes strapped too. If I was spending my own cash to mount to my imaginary car as I don't drive it would be a Thule all day long.

8. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

**** in a bag and then kick it.

I got the ol' chain adjustment tool, well looks like on the big chainring and small cog i still have slack after taking out two links. Me thinks the bike is cursed.

I did however get it adjusted into ridable condition, **** the comedy low range mega huge rear cog wobbler.

9. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

QFT. Quality is impeccable.

10. legoman

Been eyeing up racks for mine when me an the lads trek off to weird places The Thule ones tick all the boxes for me. If you have a tow bar they are good solid options.

Kingred, I use this its based on the known park tools rigorous method its basically a script that does a long equation for you

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/chainlengthcalc.html

Or my unscientific method is to put the new chain on the small ring at the front and the smallest gear on the rear and take out enough links so the chain just clears the derailleur cage.

Usually they come out about a links length different.

Also, mashed out my first proper ride on the rode bike. quite enjoyed it to be fair just under 60K surprised just how quick the bike goes I can tell im holding back and also it would go faster if I was fitter.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2015
  11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So, anyone going to be at the 'Ard Rock Enduro this weekend?

Look out for the freakishly grumpy marshal near the end of the course.

12. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Cheers for all the help. My wobble to/from work today was actually really nice despite the rain. I'm super sold on this thing now :):)

13. wecrookie

wecrookie Minimodder

14. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

15. Cookie Monster

redbull.tv now, DH @ Windham, LIVE.

16. legoman

Got some pain stripper the other day so while looking like something out of breaking bad I set to stripping an old frame. Nitromors is actually pretty useless now. Gasket remover on the other hand did this in one spray. Doesn't eat to well through lacquer which is on the back half of the frame no work today it's meant to pee down later

[​IMG]

17. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Can i get some help/advice please?
    I have this bike:
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2009/carmel700/globecarmel1700c#specs

I thought I had a broken rear axel. Turns out the bearings... well, something happened. The inside of the hub is wrecked so I am just going to buy a new Rim.

Questions is, should I upgrade to a cassette? Or stick with the free wheel?

If I choose to switch to a cassette, what else do I need to do? do I need a new derailleur? How do I know what parts will work with what? I tried asking at a bike shop. But the person I was talking to didn't really seem to care...

Thanks for any advice!

18. Cookie Monster

By the sounds of it the hub has collapsed, so either a complete new wheel or hub and a rebuild is needed. Generally at this spec a wheel is cheaper.

A cassette and a freewheel have 2 different fittings, if you buy a cassette wheel you will need a new 7 speed cog or cassette. In turn if the bike has been used regularly you may also need a new chain and chainset as the worn chain won't run well on a new cassette, then the new chain won't run on the old chainset.

Although 7 speed cassettes can be bought but they are not that common (here in the UK at least). Usually 5, 6 and 7 speed are freewheels and 8+ are cassettes.

UK wise with a basic spec of parts you're looking at:

Wheel: £35,
    Cassette: £30,
    Chain: £15,
    Chainset: £30,
    Labour: £10,
    Total £120

If you buy a standard screw on wheel (the fitting for a freewheel) your current set of cogs will fit straight on.

Wheel: £30,
    Total: £30.

In short there is no advantage that you will notice by spending more cash and upgrading.

19. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Yeah, you're right. My chain and freewheel are both brand new as it is. May as well just buy the rim and keep with the freewheel.

Thanks!

20. Cookie Monster

Of course I'm right, I run a bike shop. :naughty: