1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Mostly related but got a stages SB20 Tuesday.
    Really enjoying it on zwift.
    I obviously can't go as fast or as far as I'd like as I've not cycled regularly in a while and even then it was on my eMTB.
    My zwift for anyone interested: https://www.strava.com/athletes/60253049
    I've committed to achieving:
    Metric century
    Get up alpe du zwift
    Imperial century
    Get up alpe du zwift in an hour
    Veveresting

by 2nd November 2023, exactly a year after getting it

Vault-Tec and legoman like this.
  2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

We still need pics, I’ve not even had any in the Discord. Bad doge.

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

it's hooked up to an unreleased monitor making it a lil tricky. I'll try sort something

4. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Hahaha, Mason’s boot triumphs again.

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Pixelate it!

I chugged out another 56.6km/35.1 miles today. and got soaked in the process

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I dug trails today, which visiting riders promptly declared too scary to ride.

Luckily 2 of the local teens who come and help dig had their bikes present, they cleared the new rock garden first try.

Impatience, Vault-Tec and ElThomsono like this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Holy crap :D

So yesterday I finally caved and bought some bike scales. Mostly to measure my tank collection. The bike in front of the camera? 38.1lb.

[​IMG]

The 700c on the left? 17.9lb. LOL. So the BMX weighs twice as much as that road bike.

So then my mind starts the cogs."Can I make it lighter" and the answer was a resounding "nope". And then it hit me. I remembered that I bought this a while back. Need to fit it.

[​IMG]

That will deffo save some grams. But the only thing I forgot was this..... The FSA Platinum Pro Mega Quad Ti BB

Or rather, one Titanium ISIS bb.

[​IMG]

20 quid :D

8. Vault-Tec

Chain done.

[​IMG]

And !

[​IMG]

Two cable ties, sorted :D

b1g-d0g likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

No no, heavy 90s skewer made from steel. Ti one better :D

[​IMG]

b1g-d0g likes this.
  10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Love that you're making it lighter by the gram then chucking a stereo on the front :grin:.

Seeing this thread pop up reminds me I need to re-glue my tyres. The fact it takes about three days puts me off every time. And makes me wonder why I ever bothered getting tubulars in the first place.

Snore indeed.

11. Vault-Tec

Glue? you crazy.

Tub tape.

[​IMG]

Pull off the red cover at each end, put on tyre, pull out red cover. Inflate, leave over night = done.

12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Have heard of said tape, but there are so many opinions out there, I've gone with the most repeated.

Having come off sideways at 78 km/h donating cells to the road safety people, plus knowing nothing about anything (reason I'm on these here forums in the first place), I tend to err on the side of "well, he said it was okay on the internet" and have stuck with (yep, did that) Continental glue.

13. Vault-Tec

It's 3M clear adhesive is all mate. And it is strong AF. The rear wheel on the bike is a tubby, and I did it with the tape. For the first time ever. It was tricky, but not that hard. Was more work cleaning off all the glue to be honest.

14. legoman

legoman breaker of things

HERASEY!

Its not, it'll just annoy purists. Little trick on tubs, when you have initially glued them down, get a broom an lay it down then run the wheel up an down it with some weight behind it. Sorts any spots you missed gluing. Picked that trick up from an ex campag mechanic.

Oh, an my fast bike on its heavy aero wheels is 8.4Kg/18.52Lbs, if I put the climbing wheels on you can can take it down to 8Kg/17.6Lbs an I'm working on an uber lightweight one around 6.5Kg/14.4Lbs. That last one needs a sander theres about 50g or paint I want shot of.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

You roadies are a strange, strange bunch.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I told you what to do before, have a good dump before riding.:grin:
    I was a roadie but, even for time-trialling, I never saw the point of using tubs, even then high performance clinchers were very good and, so much easier to fit and, to repair if you puncture.

17. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Yeah, glue cleaning is also something there's mixed opinions on. Do you put much sideways pressure on the taped wheel when you ride though? I've seen poorly stuck tubs roll off the rim when cornering at speed (which does shiit me up going into corners downhill). Result is rim contact with the road, broken wheel and nasty pile-ups.
    Can you expand on this? I can't picture it. Broom is lengthways and wheel goes lengthways along it? Why not just roll it on the ground?
    Have you seen what we wear? Just don't break Rule number 5.
    Everything about this I now believe. I bought the carbon rims on a whim as they were dirt cheap second hand and were likely to save me about 3 minutes :wallbash:... Then I picked up alloy-tracked clincher carbons and they've come on so much in tech terms it's unreal (still marginally heavier).

I do think I notice the difference, but then they're normally also on different bikes. When I do need to swap them, that's also a faff because I can't have the alloy brake pads running on the full carbon rims. FFS - talk about make life difficult for yourself. This is why I sit in the midst of thousands of unfinished projects and never get to enjoy any of them.

Time for a change of approach...:idea:

18. Vault-Tec

Sideways pressure no. I pretty much ride a 3.5 mile straight cycle path on the beach.

I’ve stopped leaning and stuff due to crashes because of oil or sand.

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

You do the rolling before inflating the tyre, although I don't see the point as surely, once the tyre is up beyond 100psi, it's going to be very tight on the rim anyway.

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

So, you wouldn't be riding down Cheddar Gorge like I used to, when I lived on The Mendips...