1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink What are you currently drinking?

Discussion in 'General' started by sp4nky, 15 Apr 2012.

1. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

21 year old aberfeldy

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

If I can find it, I'll give it a taste... Cask Strength doesn't bother me too much.
    That said, ESPECIALLY more expensive whiskies can be hard to get here.

As an Example, I have been scouring shops for a bottle of Bushmills 10 for a year now...

3. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I'm going to ask a rather embarrasing question here. I don't drink and as such my knowledge of such things are should I say... limited.

I have several bottles of whisky have collected over the years from different parts of the world.

My question is, would there be a shelf-life for these? I have a bottle bought over 10 years ago but never opened, would it still be okay to drink?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If they're unopened, were kept upright in a cool, dry environment away from sunlight, they'll be fine - although you've probably lost a little through evaporation. If they've been somewhere warm, they might have turned - but only in the sense they'll taste bad, not that they'll kill you - and if they've been exposed to sunlight they're probably pale as Casper's buttocks - but, again, still drinkable if the taste hasn't been damaged too much.

Opened, you're looking at 6-24 months before you've lost too much alcohol and oxidised too many oxidisables to make it worth drinking. (Or "a week," as I tell my wife when the bottle hits the recycling...)

Sentinel-R1, BentAnat and Arboreal like this.
  5. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Ahh, that's okay then. They have been kept at the back of our kitchen cupboard which is by far the coldest room in the house. Ill have to break one open over christmas. For, you know... science.

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

If it is stoppered with a cork, make sure you give the bottle a shake and let it sit a sit for a few minutes afterward, to allow the cork to soak up some liquid and not crumble when you try do eventually open.

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Any of my decent malts with a quality cork, I store on their side so the cork stays moist and therefore seals tightly, preventing oxidation.

It's an age-old debate whether you should or shouldn't but I've kept my special whiskies for much longer than 24mnths this way, without the flavour degrading.

Admittedly, I don't store everyday malts on the side as the cork quality tends to be of a lower quality and it may impart some flavour into the whisky - and my everyday malts aren't special enough to savour over a longer period so they're generally drunk over the course of a few weeks anyway, eliminating the worry of ageing.

8. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

And for tonight its a Lagavulin double matured distillers edition.

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

2 Year ago I bought a bottle of Famous grouse Whisky. 2 days ago I bought a bottle of Jack Daniels (not real whisky so I have heard) I am struggling to tell the difference :lol:

I guess I do not like Whisky :worried:

10. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

I'd suggest that neither of those are particularly distinctively flavoured, hence could appear quite similar. Try one of the Islay malts for a more distinctive flavour and see what you think. I'd suggest any of the Lagavulin single malts, very peaty with more than a subtle hint of iodine (they are good honest).

Mr Happy likes this.
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thank you. I will have to look into those. I know that this bottle of JD will last me a good few month at least. I have no real desire to drink it.

12. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Mix it with some coke?

Mr Happy likes this.
  13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

That is my only option to drink it. Drinking it neat is not really going to happen

14. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Crystal Head Vodka, found it at a bar in Nottingham and after much asking they let us have one of the empty skull bottles cause we said we would finish the bottle :)

15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you can't taste the difference between Grouse and Jack, yeah, I think I'd agree with you.:grin:

Jack isn't a true whisky by Scotch standards, being distilled from corn mash rather than malted barley but then again, Grouse isn't a decent whisky either. It's an everyday blend; great for mixing but not a nice sipper.

If you're trying to get into whisky, find a decent pub with a good selection and ask the landlord for his recommendation and buy a few singles to taste before taking a punt on something in the supermarkets.

A decent whisky that matches your palate is quite easy to drink straight.

Mr Happy likes this.
  16. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

OOPS, ignore

17. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

That seems the best plan going forward. trying a few samples, or singles rather than spending money on something I may not like.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    , 'cos I saw it was on offer on Amazon. Not the cheapest it's ever been - £29, and it's been £24.99 before - but cheaper than the other bottles I've got in. No age statement (NAS), but they do go on to say it "matures for five years in standard ex-bourbon barrels plus an additional seven months in small, custom-made quarter casks" - so five years and seven months, then.

19. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

As a small followup to my earlier yerba mate post:
    Today I hesitantly tried another yerba sample, this time of a different brand, Taragüi. Much to my surprise, it was actually rather nice. I can understand why a human being would willingly consume this now, and gladly kept refilling my cup until the leaves lost their taste.

Seems like I just hate the taste of Cruz de Malta, despite it being recommended everywhere as an easy drink and by far the most accessible yerba for newcomers...
    Well, de gustibus non est disputandum, I guess.

20. veato

veato I should be working

An old fashioned (Wild Turkey 101)