1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Starting a 4-day weekend in 30seconds. Going to Gamescom in Cologne! :D

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I might start ordering parts tomorrow for my new build. Will be nice to eventually play on something other than ultra low settings

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Doom on Vulkan gets the same performance in eyefinity as it does on single screen.

It makes it seem even more frantic, which is awesome.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I was looking into this myself yesterday, having decided my A10-5800K from five years ago is getting a bit long in the tooth. Priced up Intel stuff, priced up AMD stuff with twice the cores, found a £500 second-hand Dell Precision workstation with two hex-core Xeons (24 threads total, baby!), 48GB of RAM, and a Quadro 5000 on FleaBay, then decided I should probably limp along until 2017 to see what Zen brings to the table.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

This is one of my frustrations. I haven't built a computer in forever, and I've never built one with an Intel CPU and I'm feeling more than a little intimidated. I'm looking at an Asrock X99 Extreme 4 for the Mobo, but I have no idea what CPUs are compatible with it or where the price / value sweet spot on CPUs is now. I specced an i7-5820k, but am having a hard time with the $400 price tag.

Not sure if I'm just getting old, but this seems harder than it used to be.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The dizzying array of SKUs and gulf in performance betwix the two companies certainly doesn't help. Used to be that you just bought a 486, and (DX and SX aside) the bigger the number the faster it was. Now, I have to think long and hard about my workload: a £160 Intel chip has better single-threaded performance, but a £160 AMD chip has twice the cores (assuming you, like I, count the clustered design as being proper cores). When I'm doing batch processing with GNU Parallel or similar, the AMD chip will beat the Intel chip; when I'm doing single-threaded stuff, like resizing giant images or saving 20-megapixel PNGs, the Intel chip will win.

I'll probably just go AMD again - either Zen on the grounds that it's allegedly Intel-equalling or -beating in IPC terms, or pre-Zen on the grounds that they should be nice and cheap following Zen's release.

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Had my ears Irrigated today and my word the difference is mental, I can hear again, was life always this noisy?!

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Making lunch today and I'd left my phone in my office. I get back to my desk and find I've had a missed call, and voicemail, from a recruitment agent. A new role has come up that they're putting me forward for, but while I'm talking to this guy I get a call waiting notification. At the same time I'm talking to one recruiter I've got another one on hold offering me an interview.

Nice to be wanted.

9. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Finally figuring out who Clare Balding reminds me of.

[​IMG]

10. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Finding out what really caused a shake up at cisco and passing that on to a person whose wife just got sucked off her feet into a job at juniper.

Helping (provisioning) a person all alone in Toyko with the Michel Thomas Japanese method. Him speaking to me the next day with an hour already done (of the course), and warm call for around 25 minutes with a thought dump about the topic generally. Guy is super smart hard working and humble and I am going to spend my own money to see he gets a solid chance at his role on going, even if the place is a nuclear disaster zone and should be evacuated.

A guy that was rude to me and totally in the wrong. Getting the issue he alone caused resolved in my fav after he called himself the "victor" and a case supposedly closed with his funds returning to his bank account :). several agents confirming I am in the right, tomorrow I just have to refuse a return to seller as agreed. what bad people can do to random strangers with clear English detail the aspects and yet they refute... wake up call in bound in T minus......thank god.

The truth of Hillary Clintons health and chances at presidency waning even thou I stand to lose a few K, WHEN I NEED A FEW K!!

Helping a thirsty out of it dog (pitball) with a whole heap of water during the week when its owners were comatose out of it (on cardboard boxes).

Living in London!!
    Truly a wonderful city, a place of Business, Fun, Family, Safety, Transport, Country side nearby, Good Food, Good entertainment, Fast Internet, Good governance and oversight. Wonderful policing and a sense of purpose.

There is no place like London anywhere!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Aug 2016
  11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I've gotta say, London is tops.

Bit pricey, though.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

London is a shithole, the air stinks, the streets are a rats nest and its full of arrogant tossers up their own arse.

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Of course, when 2017 comes round there will be something else new on the horizon...

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

And the tube is hateful.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Right now I'd take the tube over 'Metro Apologises'...

[London is still a toilet of a place though...]

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

+1. I can't believe I spent the first 27 years of my life there thinking it was the whole world.

17. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

£350 tax rebate, yay.

I was in London a couple of months ago, I couldn't get out quick enough. It's the capital of a country it has nothing in common with. Any foreign tourist who has only visited London and says they've been to Britain is severely mistaken.

18. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Living in london is better than visiting.

There is so much more occurring which you don't discover when you are just doing the tourist shite.

My quality of life is so much better than in a small town.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

And what metric did you evaluate in order to reach this conclusion?

I'd hate living there, so my quality of life in London would be atrocious. "Quality of life" is about as subjective as it gets, so don't p!ss on someone else's chips just because their choices don't suit you.

20. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

- Availability of stuff to do, paid and for free all within reasonable distance in terms of time.

- My commute is a lot easier than out in the stick than with public transport so I'm happier

- I'm earning much more because I have access to a specific industry found here, rather than in the sticks

Also back at you bud. QoL metrics can be measured many ways but I call regular trains to/from work a huge advantage when I used to sit about for 40 minutes to travel less than 10 miles.

Also driving is a chore in the south east, the rarity in which I do need to go out i take public transport and enjoy the journey. Might even read the paper.