1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened in Vegas.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by RedFlames, 2 Oct 2017.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Mass shooting. Many deaths. Many more injured.

I kinda feel it should be discussed... But in honesty what's the point? The US won't change.

Columbine didn't change anything.
    Sandy Hook didn't change anything.
    Pulse, Virginia Tech etc. etc.

This won't change anything.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas...

The_Crapman likes this.
  3. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

The gun laws baffle me. There will always be a lunatic no matter where or what country your in right? Most other counties in the world seem to be ok without having a gun in the home or easily accessible.

The constitution argument about having guns is kinda out of date now ... That was like 300 years ago. Apparently we are a more civilised world these days..

4. RedFlames

'"No way to prevent this", says only country where this regularly happens' --The Onion... in 2015... after the Careleston mass shooting.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2017
  5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

F'ing mental. I abstained from a work event that would have me in the vicinity of the wrong place at the wrong time. Had some colleagues in the process of checking in to Mandalay Bay when it kicked off, fortunately so far all in one piece.

I'm sure glad that Stephen Paddock and people like him have access to such weapons so that they can protect themselves, their family, their property, <insert absurd justification here>

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Clearly the solution is to arm hotel bellhops

MLyons likes this.
  7. RedFlames

LIES! The hotel was a crisis actor.

MLyons likes this.
  8. Nexxo

Look, the perp was a madman barricaded in a hotel room on the upper floor with an arsenal of guns.

Stands to reason that from now on, every American should be allowed to carry a portable missile launcher.

MLyons and Guest-23315 like this.
  9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Fully automatic guns tho... utterly ridiculous. Looks to me like the guy wanted to spend his last few minutes on an absolute power trip with the "fun switch". Heartbreaking.

10. RedFlames

From a member of the band whose concert it was:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MLyons and Pliqu3011 like this.
  11. walle

walle Minimodder

An excellent time for anti-gun nutters to whore dead people again pulling peoples heart strings as they continue their crusade against the 2nd amendment. I guess they will be ramping this up now.

As for firearms regulations there are regulations in place.

No law ever stopped a criminal from shooting someone. It only stops law abiding citizens from defending themselves.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic, but... I'll go with the former.

Assuming the crowd had access to a battery of guns with which to defend themselves, there would have been even more carnage resulting from friendly fire or improperly discharged weapons wielded by inexperienced shooters. It would have been an utter bloodbath. The pervasive, hillbilly ideology of "access to guns makes things better" is utterly devoid of logic or sense.

And clearly the "nutters" in this scenario are the ones who oppose gun control... yarp.

MLyons likes this.
  13. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

"No law ever stopped a criminal from shooting someone".

Well given shootings are rather rare in countries with strict gun laws, I'd say this comment is largly false.

Also the shooter in this most recent case didn't have a criminal record.

I'll take peace of mind over "freedom" any day.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2017
    MLyons likes this.
  14. Nexxo

You stay classy, walle.

Meanwhile countries like the UK and the Netherlands, despite being in the crosshairs of ISIS have-a-go terrorism, will carry on enjoying one of the lowest mass shooting statistics in the world.

15. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

The trouble is that 2A is framed in a way that legal challenges against modern gun control measures usually win. Nothing short of a constitutional amendment will really sort the issue in the USA, and there won't be any for a good few years yet.

I am an avid shooter, and I do like gun culture, but I fully back gun control measures as adopted by the UK, Canada et al – you're allowed to have a couple of firearms provided you aren't bonkers, and all silly guns are right off the table no matter what. My family's been hunting/sport shooting for generations, and no one has ever said "y'know, I sure could use a select-fire AR with a C-Mag this weekend."

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea their almost as bad as the pro-gun nutters who whore dead people to instill the fear of god into others so they can sell them more firearms.

In light of recent event I'd say those regulations ain't working.

Very true but we're not dealing in absolutes here are we, we're dealing in factors that either increase or decrease the chance of something happening or not, and the facts support the premise that strict controls on firearms reduce the chance of innocent people being shot by said firearms.

MLyons likes this.
  17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Clearly very shite ones if you don't need to register the gun or get a license

Yes it has. Notice how there are more stabbings than shootings in the UK. Do you really think that it's because people prefer knives over guns or because guns are much harder to get? So how well did those people in the crowd do at protecting themselves bearing in mind Nevada has some of the least strict gun laws in the country? Oh wait they didn't, they were slaughtered by a madman on a power trip. The fact the crowd couple of legally had guns made no difference to protecting yourself. I seriously hope you're joking.

18. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

In years gone by, I'd have been all over this thread like a rash, but now... meh. What's the point? Walle maybe the exception rather than the rule here on BT, but sadly he has too many friends in America.

I thought Obama might be able to budge things in the right direction during his tenure, but he was almost completely unsuccessful, and in the current climate things are only going to get worse.Given that the current corrupt, sexist bigot in the White House got there on the back of NRA funding and with a base that heavily overlaps with NRA membership, even if he had the moral direction to want to change things, it would be political suicide for him to even try.

Nevertheless, I'm still supposed to feel empathy for the victims and their families, even those who believe in gun ownership, but I confess I'm really struggling. I feel more for the Puerto Ricans who unfortunately will be conveniently bumped from the front pages.

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Cue some weeks of outrage, fury, people banding for and against gun control, and a big ol' fat wad of nothing happening.

What a waste of lives.

20. Nexxo

It's democracy in action.