1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What hardware have you broken?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sc0rian, 23 Apr 2003.

1. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Started early, and fried my old 486, tried to oc, and forgott to secure the cooler, moved it, booted it, everythings good, bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiipppppp. dead

Wasted some hdd's a couple of mobos (mainly p3's and early amd ones)
    One XP2200+ (core break), one Xp2500+ (again forgott to secure the cooler, fried) one Hydor L20, ran dry becasue of a leak (over-weekend leak test :wallbash: )

One Abit IS7-e, managed to short somethin, think its the power regulators with a screwdriver :duh:
    And ofcourse, my P4 2,8Ghz... Riped of a bunch of legs, trying to remove the damn heatsing that was stuck :hehe:

\\Balder

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Sounds like you short-circuited something.... power supplies make you wait 5 mins (or just flip the switch on the back) before they turn on again after a short.

3. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Once, I was at a tech group, as system administrator.
    The wireless (802.11g) router was right next to the servers I'm supposed to work with.
    However, as soon as I get too close to the router (which is a problem, since I have to be next to the servers (and the router) to do my work), some users who are on the side of the router that I'm on get dropped off the network.
    At the same time, some other users on the opposite side have reported that the signal actually got stronger!
    I thought that my body was blocking the radio waves so the network doesn't work (logical enough, water blocks 2.4GHz waves and the human body is mostly water), but that doesn't explain why the other side gets a stronger signal (it could be that my body is also blocking some interference and improving the SNR, but that's quite unlikely).
    The next day, the problem disappeared!
    The problem was gone for many days (I thought it was some quirk), only to reappear another day!
    It turns out that some of the clothing I'm wearing contains a small amount of metal at just the right length to reflect the radio waves!
    Well, it looks like I can't wear that bra when I go to the tech group or else I would disrupt the wireless network.
    On the bright side, I now found out how to increase the range of my own wireless network (not that I need to, the range is already about 400 feet in a less than optimum environment!).
    No hardware damage, but it did annoy a lot of users (one reported that Word crashed when the signal was lost), and it could cause data corruption.

4. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

this one time i was playing with an old XT desktop, yes thats right XT.

anyway long story short i hooked up an AT kb not knowing any difference, powered the computer on and pressed a key. then about 4 cereamic caps went boom, and there was smoke, it was so cool.

btw i only paid about 4 bucks cdn for the xt.

5. ICDragon

ICDragon What's a Dremel?

I'm just really unlucky with my hd's... been through at leat 15 in 3 years, and had to reformatt my screwed up ones at least twice as many times :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

6. CREDO

CREDO What's a Dremel?

I've been pretty lucky I guess, I have been upgrading and playing with computers for about 4 years and i have only blown an old 1 gig drive from forgetting to power off and then plugging it in.
    I'm overly cautious when playing with other peoples hardware, cause i cant afford to replace it :D

7. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

a7v8x deluxe mobo by stick SDram into it, i was pissed off at a mate and when i was puttin it bak 2gether i grabbed the closest looking ram that lookd like it fits, had 2 force it in, mobo now refuses to POST but the ram still works? :eyebrow:

8. dead_man

ohh, heres a list of what me mates have done, software included.

1700+ kept destroying mobo, a drill made a really expensive keychain,
    1 set a mobo on fire when working on the bench?
    deleted all there registry keys?
    stopped all there services
    tried forcing a PCI gfx card into AGP port.
    fishing line in HSF? god only knows how that got there,
    3 sets of cordlessk/b and mouse at lans
    2x17" trinatrons, 6x15" and a 23"LCD got run over by a car.
    just for fun i poured kerosine on a p1 when it was on
    and my cat got to close to the side 150mm on my case, RIP lucky
    and all our combined attempts at modding. only 1 was succesful and that was wrapping the thing with a poster and glue.

9. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

2 questions
    1) how does one run over a crt monitor with a car, or even a lcd for that matter? and
    2) how the f*** did your cat get killed by a fan? i swear to god, ive seen all these people talk about cutting themselves on fans and small animals getting hurt by fans, i stick my finger in my cpu fan for fun and ive never drawn blood. what the hell am i doing wrong? and also, get a better grill so your cats dont die at the hands of your case fans!!

back on topic, ive just today killed a 40 GB hdd by dropping my dvd rom drive on it during the boot sequence.
    somehow i killed the ethernet port on my computer.
    i killed my first optical mouse in maybe april or may (got it in september, lasted maybe6 months or so) it was an intellimouse 5 button.
    i somehow killed my floppy drive, but i dont think it was my fault, it just randomly died after i painted it.
    i was working on killing my cell phone to get a replacement when it got a bit dodgy one night when my mom wanted to get ahold of me while i was out with friends. she freaked out a bit. once she stopped screaming that i didnt pick up my phone, she decided to boil it. it was really really cool. it blinked a few times, beeped, the screen went black, then the screen faded, and the backlight went. i wish i had gotten pictures of it.
    *Edit* i also killed a panasonic portable cd player by spray painting it *Edit*

10. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

to answer that question stick your fan in a vantec tornado at full speed or a high speed thermaltake.

11. TMM

TMM Modder

150mm is a fecking big fan

12. Carlk

Carlk What's a Dremel?

a brand new athlon 1.1ghz , pc chips 810LMR + 128mb PC133 (screw driver sliped of the heatsink into the board and RAM), P3 1ghz motherboard and 512 pc133 ram due to a few stand offs in the wrong places :wallbash: and a few old graphics cards due to me being a Noooob :hehe:

all is well now as ive learnt from my mistakes :p

13. dead_man

2 anwer ppls question coz they didnt under stand me post is the 23" LCD was run over, the CRT got thrown at a lan

LCD fell out the door when the car was moving in reverse and bounced under, not pretty when u got a big ass 4WD

and no my cat did not get killd by the fan but she lost a bit off her nose. i only added that 2 c ppl reaction :naughty:

14. hilmana

hilmana What's a Dremel?

well i never broke hardware but my brother tried to flash the bios and upgrade the bios of my OLD P3 800mhz and he ended F*K*ing it up and we had to stay without a computer for a year.
    and now he dosnt let me take the north bridg cooler from it so i put it on my south bridg coz he wants to frame his first computer.
    i think he is overly opsessed.
    can somone plz give me your oppinion on his bizzar opsession maybe he lets me take the north bridg cooler plz.

15. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Just in the past year...
    3x AMD A64 FX53
    4x AMD A64 FX51
    8x Other AMD A64's
    2x Opterons
    2x P4 Northwood
    4x P4 Canterwood
    4x P4 Prescott
    1x Xeon
    On one hard drive, the platters separated from the rest of the hard drive base and took out everything inside. So you can count that as a whole computer.
    Counless mobos
    Even more hdd's
    1 or 2 optical drives
    A few sticks of memory
    4 sound cards
    3 gfx cards
    and those are just the greatest hits

16. omicron

omicron Baud.

Only a Geforce2 MMX and a 20g Maxtor HDD so far :worried:. The HDD wasnt strictly my fault - power surge fried the PSU, mobo and HDD, but its my fault for having (a) a crappy PSU and (b) no surge protectors.

17. chrono

chrono What's a Dremel?

only a pentium 3 mobo, pentium 3 processer, and a 16 mb video card so far...

I <3 AMD. ;D

18. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

Broke my ASUS CUSL-2C P3 mobo and 256MB stick of Kingston yesterday.

Unpluged everything, pulled out the ram and cleaned the slot's, put the ram back in and I was greeted with a little spark and a electric shock that sent my jumping up and down waving my hand :eyebrow:

Cheers,
    Mike

19. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

lol, thats pretty funny. i kinda wish my computer would scare my cats off, they constantly walk across my keyboard making the mobo beep.

20. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

i believe ill pass on that one.

oh, an additional thing ive broken. i was carrying the printer (hp 920c) a while ago and dropped it. after that it couldnt handle having more than one page in the tray at a time, once a page printed you had to grab it or the whole thing would jam. (replaced it with lexmark z605, the $50 one from best buy :D)