1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Windows is installing update 187/187...
    Windows failed to configure updates.
    Windows is installing update 1/187...

2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Nothing to do at work, and management don't seem to be in any hurry to find me something to do, or review the stuff I have done... arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

3. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Those days are the worst. I think people want to be productive, not just busy. Being neither is the worst.

4. MadGinga

My general work motto: "Better to be busy than bored."
    Unfortunately, I've spent the majority of the last year being the latter :|

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Welcome to my world... :duh:

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Its quite easy to piss away that time, but you can equally find useful things to do as well. For example, I became certified in a programming language I use, I read a book on C++ and planned out the components to water cool build which didn't end up happening. None of which were hugely beneficial to my employer but are all beneficial to me. I basically got paid to improve my knowledge and do pc stuff. Thats pretty much win win for me. As always, the barrier to entry is that initial bit of motivation to do something productive. Its a tough one and I've stood looking at it manys a time too.

7. MadGinga

Well yes and no. FOr the first few days/weeks, yes. After that it becomes harder and harder...

All quality ideas, similar in many aspects to things I have done before. Maybe I could've added clarifiers to my original post but mainly wanted to vent.

I have been bored for pretty much that last year. and as such, have pretty much exhausted the things I can do on my work PC, what with it being stupidly locked down :(

For the record, things I have done/learnt when "bored" at work: access inc. complex vba; excel vba; c#; compiled lists of, and categorised, films/music/games/Lego I own; planned numerous (hypothetical) PC builds both 'classic' and mods; read the BBC website from top to bottom. I could go on, but I'm bored already.

I'm BORED of being BORED. :wallbash:

I'm a Systems Engineer - if anyone has some suggestions of things that might be useful to learn, I'd be all ears...

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Tw@t of a customer has announced that they are now going to charge an admin fee for any and all ARFs (non-compliances - 95% of which are bull$h!t). The fee equates to 10% of the cost of a work crew per day. Four crews = a potential £3000 a day.

Thing is, according to the rules they have put in place, they are the cause of more ARFs than us, so we are duty bound to counter charge them.

This means that we have to spend several hours every week producing, receiving and collating paperwork which will all cancel each other out in a bizarre game of Snap! at the weekly progress meetings! :duh:

All this is down to a weasel of a QS in their office, who I want to kill every time we meet.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Almost August and a chilly 11°C in Edinburgh today. On goes the heating. Down goes my bank balance.

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Not much better down here, 13c windy an looks like it'll rain any moment.

What happened to summer?

11. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

13 here in Nottingham and I'm loving it, got the window open and a good breeze coming in.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm loving the new weather, 16 feels like 13 according to the met office.

This is my ideal temperature.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Are you Eskimos?

14. liratheal

I did used to wear shorts in the snow..

I can't handle hot climates, anything above about 25 and I start sweating just because I'm there, and that makes me irritable, which only gets worse the hotter it gets.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have a postman, Tommy, who pretty much wears shorts in all weathers. Which in Edinburgh is pretty much winter as that seems the only season we are getting these days.

16. Almightyrastus

This.

I occasionally used to work the freezers at Sainsbury's whilst I was on the nightshift and if I needed to just go in and out grabbing the odd roll-pallet I'd just stick gloves on to stop my hands sticking to the metal but otherwise I'd be in my normal work tshirt and trousers. It was only if I would be in there for any length of time I'd put the coat on. They were -28C inside.

Best holiday I have had was Norway at the end of February, it got down to -22 overnight and -14 during the day, I was doing so much snow sweeping and wood chopping that I'd end up taking my coat off about halfway through.

Cold just doesn't bother me at all but anything over 25 and I just start to feel uncomfortable doing anything.

17. liratheal

Postmen are beastmode when it comes to ignoring weather, I'm pretty sure ours (Incidentally, called Winston) doesn't know what rain means. Shorts and polo shirt all the time.

If it wasn't for the hilarious cost of living and the language, I think I would like to live in Norway.

18. Almightyrastus

You and me both. I go over there and as soon as I get out of the city I feel like I'm back home. My uncle lives in a town called Voss up in the mountains. His house has a big view of the valley leading down to the town centre on one side and woods and mountain on the other.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Postmen (& women) have the same immunity to cold as Newcastle girls out clubbing in January.

20. liratheal

I've never seen Newcastle girls, so I'll take your word for it!

Edit: Googled. Should not have googled. That's now ruining my afternoon.