1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Why you should avoid "closed loop" water cooling.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlienwareAndy, 4 Jul 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Yes of course I would :rolleyes:

Thanks for your judgement of me. It's appreciated, but completely ill founded.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Did you install it as per the manual?

3. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

A into B, C into 3x5 and then finally hit it with a hammer while wearing only a pink beenie and yellow underwear stood on one leg and holding a hamster with the other hand?

4. AlienwareAndy

Yes, I did. There is only one way to mount the cooler given the way it mounts. It's actually quite simple and painless.

I just got off the phone with Consumer Direct, and after spending some time looking for me they have decided to press on. Basically they are holding the company who sold it to me responsible and are launching a case of "consequential losses" from the sale of goods act 1979 against them.

I contacted them first. They replied "Send the cooler back and we will replace it". Sadly they negated to read the email where I told them it had damaged my stuff.

They do a good job of hiding behind Amazon it seems, but thankfully they are a limited company and so CD found them quite quickly.

They'll be hearing from CD shortly.

Unsurprisingly CD have warned me about even bothering to touch the damaged parts, or, try cleaning them. As soon as I do that I become fully responsible.

So, I guess in a way Coolshite know what they're doing. They tell gullible people to submerge their parts in water then sit back knowing that they are no longer responsible.

5. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Hmm limited companies can be just one person operating out of a spare bedroom or garage who are registered with companies house too. Don't expect a big corp. with loads of emloyees and loads of cash to instantly come up with replacement parts. They could fight it out requiring you to go down the small claims court route.

6. AlienwareAndy

Oh I fully expect that tbh. If not they would have offered me more help that just sending it back and replacing it.

I'm under no illusion this won't go to court, but, needs must. I've been told that it's a very simple case of consequential losses, given that it's supposed to do what it states it does and not leak coolant all over your parts.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The issue you will have is the you left it running for so long when you knew things were amiss. A couple of days, fine, a couple of weeks, not so good. They'll just say you failed to act in a prompt manor to rectify the situation, thus leaving it to damage your property.

It's like a plumber installs a outside tap in your house, but after a couple of months is leaks. Then you notice, but leave it. One day you realise you have dry rot (or something) is the wall and it needs to be repaired. It would be your fault, not the plumbers.

Either way, let us know what happens, as I found this thread most amusing. :thumb:

8. AlienwareAndy

So what if you had contacted the plumber and he chose to ignore you? And you had a record of it?

Ignorance won't work in this case. Ignoring it will damage any chance they had.

Not that it matters, because sadly I won't be going after them, only the company who distributes them here in the UK.

I did what I had to do. As soon as I thought something was wrong I sent them an email which they chose to ignore.

9. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

The fact that CoolIT chose to ignore you doesn't alter the fact that you also chose to ignore the warning signs. It was your ignorance that changed the issue from a minor easily solved leak to one where the inside of your PC had taken a bath in coolant.

10. AlienwareAndy

Oh god not another one. As soon as I noticed the noise I emailed Coolit. I have proof and I posted it earlier. So don't call me ignorant as you obviously failed to miss that I did not ignore it AT ALL.

The first thing I did was contact them and they chose to ignore it. That's hardly ignoring it.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Surely that company could just say they would have advised you differently, but you never contacted them, thus it was your fault?

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

You're ignorant because you continued to use a product that you suspected was doing something dodgy without keeping a very close eye on it or removing it to a safe location to test it. Contacting the manufacturer when you first noticed the noise doesn't make your later actions any less ignorant. Nor does their failure to respond to you negate your ignorance.

13. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

you emailed coolit.....but you taking the english people to court or whatever?

honestly you're a massive loser. and its exactly people like you that cause warranty terms etc to be so stringent and precisely why companies adopt the attitude of washing there hands of anything and making t&c's that make them untouchable.

go be horrible somewhere else.

14. AlienwareAndy

Their T&C are not worth the paper they are written on. They can't, as much as they would like to, be above the trading laws here in the U.K.

However, I look forward to you needing help from a company so I can come along and call you a loser when you decide to send them back and complain about it.

Cheers !

15. AlienwareAndy

I did contact them and they did advise me differently. Give it a wipe, it'll be fine !

But it isn't, is it?

Must say I love the mentality around here. Basically dip your parts in water even when it wasn't your fault, then roll over and take one up the rear end because it would be not very nice to seek legal action for your losses.

16. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Does seem like a recipe for disaster, generally speaking; if it's making bad noises, check it out.

The warrenty explicitly states that if anything happens to the product and it causes damage; you're responsible for the damage to other hardware. I've had coolant leaks myself in my whole water loop and they've not been too bad to sort, so long as I acted fast. Waiting for that long is just asking for issues.

Tl;DR: CoolIT aren't responsible for the damage to your hardware. You can try and RMA the hardware to the original manufacturer, they might be able to sort something out, but it's unlikely.

Edit; Legally speaking; you're responsible, as they haven't tested that exact, precise combination of hardware, so they can claim you didn't follow their regs, and your CPU warrenty is invalid the second you put the unit on there, while the motherboard may also be void as a result. Taking them to court over simple hardware failure that could've been resolved if caught in time is basically just suing them because you don't want to accept responsibility. It sucks, i've lost hardware myself, and i've lived and learned.

I highly doubt that taking them to court will earn you anything more than just legal fees and an even bigger hatred of them.

Fiver says he boycotts PC's and goes to Macs?

Last edited: 5 Jul 2012
  17. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Leaving a dodgy sounding water filled unit inside your PC is your fault. Had you removed it when you first suspected there wasn't something quite right then the rest of your PC would no doubt be fine.

18. AlienwareAndy

I did look at it then and there was no trace of the coolant. So thanks for reading the thread properly. Infact, if you read over it you will notice that even when I opened up all of the ducts and stared at it that I finally noticed it was under the back plate of the GPU, and had been running down there out of sight. After that it ran down the PCIE slots, which were covered by the GPU. There is about a 2cm gap between the GPU and the bottom of the case, which you can't see into.

As for Coolit not being responsible? they are. Infact, so are the company that sold me the cooler. They sold it, they have to abide by the laws and regulations here in the UK.

Which are that under the sale of goods act 1979 not only must an item be fit for purpose and as described (IE sealed and closed) and it isn't then it then falls into the consequential damage laws.

Must say I find it hilarious that people are saying I should shut up and deal with it. Would love to see them deal with a £250 loss in such a way !

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm not having a go at you, so tone down the abuse. You never said you contacted the company until CD said they were the ones to take issue with. I just don't want you ending up with even more cost from failed legal action.

Oh, and you could try your home insurance, as it is technically accidental water damage...

20. AlienwareAndy

Thankfully the law doesn't agree with you as you are talking nonsense. But thanks for your vapid input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.