1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Why you should avoid "closed loop" water cooling.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlienwareAndy, 4 Jul 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I have had two H50s in the past and an Antec Kuhler fitted to my GTX 480. They were all fitted and used because I truly felt that they were completely safe and if they did leak the company would stand behind them. All three of those coolers made the same noise as the Eco.

It was when the noise persisted for more than a day or two (and intermittently BTW) that I decided to contact Coolit and raise my concerns. Which you can clearly see that I did, nearly two weeks before I discovered a leak. At which point they should have replied, and maybe advised me to take the side off of my PC. However, what a good few fail to understand here is that I am not obliged to do anything, let alone dip my parts in water. I don't feel safe or comfortable doing so and I'm not going to take any blame for that.

You can't force people against their will. If a woman, for example, won't perform sexual acts to appease your fetishes then what should you do? just hold her down and rape her?

I can't say it enough, and would go on until I am blue in the face. I am not, under any circumstances or conditions, putting these parts in water. End of.

Coolit knew that too. In fact, early on when they found out it was leaking and due to me being incredibly passive and not threatening them in any way they said -

"I can understand you not wanting to submerge your parts in water".

And then the barrage of questions began, and then I let them start forcing me to answer questions, and then I guess they thought that I wasn't going to fight back.

Just like everything else though I have conclusive proof. I have FOUR emails answering all of their questions, and proof that they have basically been ignoring me and wasting my time.

I find it incredibly ironic that he said that I had to clean this stuff ASAP. Had he sorted this out 8 days ago, hell, on the 26th June I wouldn't be in this situation, nor would my parts.

It's becoming quite obvious that this is going to end up in court. And, I would strongly imagine that a judge would also find it quite insulting that they are asking me to spend money cleaning up a problem that just isn't mine.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Oh, I give up.

Abandoning thread.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Pull up a pew dizzi :D

[​IMG]

4. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

For balance I lost an AMD CPU when the plastic bracket broke and the cooler fell off (!) Instantly frying the OC'd CPU...

Thus I changed to an Asus Intel MoBo...

Sorry to hear your sad tale, and fingers crossed for my H70's continued performance.

dunx

5. AlienwareAndy

[​IMG]

Just as I thought. Please, please please please I urge you to avoid this company at all costs.

They don't care about any one but themselves, and when push comes to shove they will just leave you screwed.

6. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Agree.

Andy - I am not sure what you hope to achieve past all the advice/feedback you have already had, the majority of posters feel that coolit have done everything they are obliged to do under there policies, procedures and generally what has happened to other people in similar situations in the past.

Nothing you say will sway other posters opinions here. We are not civil/consumer law lawyers nor county court judges, no one here is going to pull out a magic 'Section 89b of the pull the rabbit out of the hat PC consumer law act 1988' for you to qoute that your entiled to a full replacement of all your parts, a free ferrari 458 spider and a hot blond for your troubles. Simply because the majority here do not feel you have a chance.

If you feel you are justified in claiming for your other parts then go with your original plan to consult a solicitor/take court action and let the experts clarify what your enitled too.

Good Luck

Shirty likes this.
  7. Shirty

As far as I'm aware the only electrical items that cover damages to connected components are surge protectors. If you can name me a single other company who would replace everything inside your box when their product fails then I will buy everything from that company from now on.

I don't believe Antec, Corsair or any other closed-loop cooler manufacturer would have done anything any differently, they are only concerned with the product they supply.

8. AlienwareAndy

Well I must say I'm not surprised by the email I just received.

[​IMG]

Seems they only really care about themselves.

9. AlienwareAndy

They would and they have tbh. Since it happened to me I've done a lot of research and found multiple cases of Corsair and Antec's coolers failing only to find the user completely satisfied by their support.

The email I received earlier came as no surprise. Any calls for help or advice were completely ignored from the first email, and all they really cared about was finding out why their cooler leaked, not that it leaked.

10. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

I hate to say it but if their warranty for the cooler states that they are not liable for any damages caused by failure of the product you will be hard pushed to get anything out of them apart from your RMA replacement.

To be perfectly honest this whole debacle could have been prevented at an early stage when the cooler continued to make 'coffee machine' 'noises and you emailed Coolit due to your concern. all you had to do was undo a couple of screws and look inside your case, i mean you were obviously concerned the product wasn't functioning correctly but you still continued to use it.

11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

It sounds like you didn't install it as per the manual?

12. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

Without adding fuel to the fire my impression was that Coolit are a Canadian company. As such I'm not sure you can apply UK consumer rights to them as a company. Distance selling and the like is not internet wide only UK wide. Trading standards will probably not be able to take any action against them. I suspect that any legal action you could take against them would need to be in the canadian courts anyway.

I would suggest you look here

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_different_ways_of_buying_e/consumer_buying_abroad_e.htm

Whilst I would agree that the tone of their emails is not particularly customer friendly what they have offered to do in my opinion is.

13. Shirty

I stand corrected, but then you pay more for the product in the first instance for such service. I wonder whether the big names like Antec/Corsair have clauses with CoolIT/ASETek etc. to allow them to recoup some of the compensation paid out for failed units?

CoolIT are pretty covered though, they expressly do not offer such a service.

N17 dizzi and David like this.
  14. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Andy said others were happy with the support, he didn't say the other companies swapped everything.

David likes this.
  15. AlienwareAndy

It would seem that way yes. However, all is not lost. I just got a phone call from Consumer direct who have informed me (after reviewing the information) that the company who sold it to me are responsible, and that my claim will be based on The sale of goods act 1979 as "consequential loss".

They also advised me not to take water anywhere near it, because as soon as I do that any damage will be down to me, including any damage done by the coolant before dipping it in water.

And that is pretty much why I have washed my hands of any of that nonsense, as it basically puts the ball back into my court and leaves me holding the responsibility.

I've tracked down the company I bought it from who do their best to hide behind Amazon and don't give out any contact info, and will be sending them a letter from my solicitor shortly.

16. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

Can I assume from this that you purchased this from a UK seller then??

17. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Oh my God.

Abandoning thread.

Shirty likes this.
  18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

19. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

What I can't figure out is...

Why you even bought one of these coolers, let alone:

For someone who hates taking the side panel off of their PC and messing around, you've done your fair share of messing around!

To me you sound like the type of person who will seek out unmarked spills in grocery stores, intentionally slip, and seek piles of money.

You've owned this type of cooler before, you know how they sound when they're operating correctly... Coffee grinder noises aren't normal, and you know it. Call my cynical, but it sounds 100% like you're just trying to get money out of CoolIT.

:sigh:

20. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Look at the guys second name, exactly what he is sending us on :hehe:

Shirty likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.