1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 Will you buy a PS3 if...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Neogumbercules, 20 Sep 2007.

?

Will you buy a 'budget' PS3

Poll closed 19 Sep 2008.
  1. Sure

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Hell no

51 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Already got one. Still think its 'OK' value at £425 - not overpriced.

2. Major

Major Guest

Blu Ray Player, Games Console, Media Player, Lookings ****ing amazing, I could go on.

Indeed it is not overpriced, I wouldn't buy an Xbox 360 if it was £50, the amount of mates I have and they have had to get it replaced about 2 - 3 times each says it all, you get what you pay for, simple as. When GTA4 and MGS get released I'll buy one.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

For the price of the PS3, I prefer to buy a Geforce 8800 GTS and 2 games or 1 game and 1 good controllers with rumble.
    You can make it as you game console, media player, Looking *****ing amazing (with the right case) Lets not forget there is S-Video, DVI and component to attach it on ANY TV without problems.

The time you will actually have Blu-ray movies, your blu-ray player will cost 35$, like any descent DVD-RW all in one with lightscribe costs for the computer.

AND you can have any OS that you want :)

Even thus you don't have a good CPU, it doesn't really mater, as games require more of a better video card then CPU.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Seeing as the only game I'd bother playing on a console is GT or Forza it would have to come out at £100 or less.

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

HDMI 1.3 can only be used on tvs that support 1.3 as its a hardware not software thing. and no it is not just on sony's tvs. pretty much all new hdtvs that come out now have 1.3

and there is a difference between using the full color option, which is what 1.3 does, and not using it. the colors have much more depth and the blacks are actually black and not just dark grey.

BTW im playing in 1080p in a 19" widescreen and i notice a huge difference between having the full color thing and also between 720p and 1080p.

and ya HDMI cables will look better than component. and before anyone says anything about it, no a $200 HDMI cable is not needed. a $5 hdmi cable have no different picture quality compared to a $200 hdmi cable.

how is HDMI 1.2 cheaper than 1.3? the tvs with 1.3 are more $ cuz they are newer but the cables are the exact same.

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I'd get a 360 even if they were the same price personally.

<A88>

7. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

$399 is still by no means a "budget" console.

i'll wait a few years... hopefully the PS3 will:
    - be redesigned and smaller, like the PStwo/PSone
    - much cheaper
    - actually have games worth playing available for it

8. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I expected the results to be one-sided, but not THIS one-sided. The reason I made this thread was because a lot of people are saying it's just a matter of time until the PS3 explodes in Europe. Granted, what I heard was referring to mainland Europe and most of you here are Brits. What's interesting, though, is a lot of you say "once it has games worth buying..." so I think I probably should have included a third option in the poll. How many of you who voted no are concrete NEVER and how many of you are just eventualities?

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Tbh though, I don't see that many games coming up that will really grab me and are utterly exclusive. Haze? Maybe, but I need more than just that. MGS4? The more I see, the more I think it looks like pretentious ********.

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I've never been into racers that much (so GT is out), I didn't like the idea of run around on drugs FPS (I like vanilla FPS) and since Haze will be a timed exclusive I can wait for it to come out on 360. I was interested into heavenly sword, but I've heard that the demo was poor and the main game wasn't massively better.

11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Apart from Blu-Ray, I don't see it as having much going for it personally. The 360 has tons more accessories available, is a better media device, has the better games (Bioshock, Gears of War and Halo 3 all console exclusives) and has a better online service. I might have opened a controversial can of worms here but I just don't get excited by the PS3 at all.

<A88>

12. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

As an owner of the PS3 I will say that I am more then happy with my purchase. I am on my 3rd 360 now after my first two crapped out on me. My PS3 has never so much as locked up on me. While there isn't a huge selection of exclusives out for it (yet) this Christmas and the first half of next year are going to be awesome. I own another 360 and I also have a Wii. Bioshock runs and looks better on my PC then on 360. A much better version of GoW will be out on PC here pretty quickly, and even though I'll be buying Halo 3 tonight at midnight, I'm only getting it as I have a ton of friends that play and I ant to be able to socialize with them.

TBH neither system really has anything I'm overly excited for (MGS4 at the most and GT5, and on 360 there's not much). I like both systems and really think neither is vastly superior enough to the other to warrant all of these vs. debates lately :p

OK I'm done ranting. If anyone needs me add Myrmccheese to your PS3 friends list ad we'll play some Rainbow Six Vegas sometime or PM me and we can play some Halo 3 in a few days :D

13. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

If they sold it to me for £1 i'd buy one and then sell it or trade in for money. That's how much I like it. I got a 360 purely for Halo3 and have waited for it adn bided my time with forza and gears, rainbow 6, graw 1 and 2, bf2. There a few of numerous. Microsoft fanboi be i.

14. koola

koola Minimodder

As a 360 owner, Hell No!

Nothing much interesting with the console/games and I wouldn't want to support Blu-ray :nono:

15. Neogumbercules

Latest rumor I read was 299 Euros but the backwards compatibility is removed, as well as some of the outputs on it.

16. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

no. backwards compatibility is not removed. the PS2 hardware is removed but it'd be like the new 80gb and it's all by software emulation. and i think that 299 euro one is a 40gb.

17. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

As long as I don't have a new Tomb Raider or Final Fantasy (DMC4 is NOT looking as promising as I expected, I want Dante back!!) I will not be buying a PS3. It proves that at the end of the day, it doesn't matter which system is the best, but which games I want to play. Considering those I mentioned are not going to be out until at least december 2008, I'll probably buy my ps3 in easter-summer 2009, when I'll be able to play the games I'm interested in, plus PS3 will (hopefully) be manufactured in 60nm (45nm if we're lucky, but I think that's asking too much) thus running cooler and more consistently. Still, it's a great system in my opinion (I find the xbox360... well, empty in its catalog, and nintendo's motion stuff is just not my thing, I can't get the handle of it) and it will do great, as long as those 2 problems get solved: games that people want to play (I'm talking about renowned franchises & AAA games) and a price which I think would be fair enough for everybody to pay: $300/€300.

18. Neogumbercules

...That's what I'm saying. The rumor I read was that the 299 one would have the 40GB hard drive, neither hardware nor software emulation, and possibly no USB ports. http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/09/24/rumour-40gb-ps3-coming-says-sky-299-in-uk-says-cvg/

Not that smaller isn't better, but the system is already rock solid reliable from everything I see.

EDIT: Guess it's no longer a rumor. http://kotaku.com/gaming/playstation3/fcc-filing-reveals-new-ps3-model-304414.php

Last edited: 27 Sep 2007
  19. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Who did you hear this from? The few people that didn't like it? With an 80% gamerankings it's far from "wasn't massively better".

I see alot of fact checking that needs to take place with this thread too.

A lack a games?

Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Resistance, Motorstorm, Lair, Untold Legends, EA titles (multi plat of course), 2k Releases (multiplatform), Table Tennis, Virtua Tennis, Stardust HD, Calling all Cars, Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection with Online....wait did I just name off some games? Oh my bad I thought there were none. And I suppose TGS never happened, and games like MGS4, Star Ocean 4, and FF XIII weren't said to be exclusive's. Let's not forget Disgaea 3, Valkyrie of War, Unreal timed exclusive, Haze timed exclusive, White Knight Story, Ratchet and Clank, Drake's Uncharted... I really need to stop listing these exclusive that don't exist, and apparently are not in development. The "no games" excuse is getting pretty old, and fast.

I'm not saying all of them are stellar titles, but seriously, get over your disgust with the price tag, people know it's high, and not everyone likes it, but that isn't reason to pretend like nothing is happening at all over at Sony HQ, and development for PS3 is at a stand still. EA, Square, Sega, all talk about how they want more sales, and yet, neither has halted any production of titles for it so seriously, saying it's not going anywhere is bunk as well. Some people are fine with it, apparently about 5 million so far worldwide. It's not great, and I'm not saying it is. But this bias is really getting out of hand around bit-tech. Hate Sony Entertainment for the Rootkit, but seriously what the hell does the rootkit have to do with Playstation 3 and SCEA, SCEE, SCE? Don't confuse this as being a Sony fanboy, I am currently playing Halo 3 and loving it, but really now, this is just unfair bias on Sony.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2007
  20. Major

Major Guest

Spot on max.

Not many games coming out soon or already out is there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games

Around 50 exclusives I browsed through.

GoD3, Jack and Dextor, GT's, The Godfather Dons Edition, Getaway 3, they are worth playing, and those where the first exclusives I just read.

This thread is basically normal people (will consider it) vs xbox fanboys (only game I have played all my life is Halo) vs PS fanboys (bring on MGS3 and GTA4, Halo sucks) vs PC fanboys (I want something that doesn't just play games)

Lol, I'm tired, prob I'll think this is a bunch of crap tomorrow.. :)