1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win 7 Student Deal

Discussion in 'Software' started by damienVC, 21 Oct 2009.

1. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Has anyone got their e-mail from Digital River with the download link to Win 7 yet?

Damien VC

2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Nope.

It'll probably be tomorrow, 8am-ish I'd say. Seeing as you got the UK deal, they wouldn't release it as soon as it's sunrise in Japan ;)

3. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Yup, just got mine and downloading at max... 1.14mb/s

Heres hoping i can create a bootable disc...

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Got mine a few minutes ago. Burning a disc to test if the key works on a standard disc or not.

5. numanoid

numanoid Modder

i got mine, downloading as i type, god knows when my bootable cd will arrive, the royal mail strike doesn't help :sigh:

6. Stickeh

I thought it would be possible to make a boot disc from the installation files, as they look identical to the contents of the win7 beta discs contents. To make a bootable usb stick i just had to copy the contents of the disc to a usb key, that was it.

But that i have tried, and i cant get to work....I didnt want to pay £9 for a bootable disc when i know i can make my own, currently i'm loosing....

If push comes to shove, i'll just torrent a disc from the interwebs!

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm doing exactly that stick - that test disc last night turned out to be the OEM version (duh, should've paid more attention before I downloaded), which bitches about needing drivers in the installation process... So now I'm waiting on the retail.

8. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Should be able to make a bootable install USB Stick of Win7 or Vista doing the following:

If running Vista do the following:
    Mount the ISO using your favourite ISO mounting tool
    Plug in an empty Fat32 formatted 4GB or bigger USB stick
    Start > CMD
    Right click > "run as admin"
    Where D is the letter of your virtual DVD drive and E is the letter of your USB stick (substitute where required)
    xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\
    cd d:
    cd boot
    bootsect.exe /nt60 e:

Reboot and boot from the USB stick. You may need to re-configure your BIOS for this and some BIOS' may not boot correctly from USB no matter what your try (hello Gigabyte 965p-DS3).

Should work for most cases though :)

Krikkit likes this.
  9. Stickeh

Well i had a fudge of a time last night, gave up at 3am for sleep. ( i wanted to get some files copied on my network overnight, im not THAT bothered about a new os, ive been using win7 for ages now...). So my boot usb wouldnt work, so i decided id try install the beta and use my key....only as ive taken my raid apart (it was fakeraid anyway) the setup kept saying 'it could not create or find a system partition).

It hurt my head and i couldnt solve the issue, this morning i just created a partition with the win 7 setup, reboot, and in bios changed the hdd to boot first and it worked...wth.

Anyway, ive installed win 7 beta, just to install win 7 pro legiiitttt, think im just gonna use norton ghost to make a backup of my install and when reformating do it that way haha.

I say that while searching mininova...

10. Stickeh

Thing is sniper, the student deal is download to desktop only, less you paid £9 forr the discs to be sent to you.

The download isnt an iso, but an exe installer...However when you first run it, the contents it unpacks, are the contents of the disc...So why when i copy the contents of this unpacked folder, that look identical to my win 7 beta disc, does it NOT want to boot from it ? :(

For win 7 you really didnt have to do anything, just copy / paste the files from the disc to the usb stick and it would work off the bat, but apparently not so much now :(

I'll figure it out :D

11. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Oh that sucks. I didn't realise that it wasn't just an ISO.

12. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I'm interested in exploiting this deal, can anyone tell me if I can do I clean install with files I download or if its upgrade only?

13. Stickeh

Its called an upgrade, but win 7 cannot physically upgrade every combination of windows installation, i had to a 'custom' clean install, choose where i want it, it copies some files, then boots up to a standard installer.

14. pimonserry

So I have to do this installation through Windows? Because I was planning on burning it, then installing it to my new, shiny, unused Samsung F3...

15. numanoid

numanoid Modder

hi all
    ive just finnished installing windows 7 home premium, thing is it doesn't have windows mail, with being with virgin media, i used to get myt mail through windows mail, so any ideas how i can get access to my mail, thanks guys
    take care

16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Just download windows live essentials (inc. mail) from the MSN website.

17. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

18. pimonserry

Mmm, about that, weren't they supposed to offer a browser ballot page? My dad installed the retail version of 7 HP yesterday and no ballot page in sight :eek:

19. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

Just wondering but the test disc you burnt, was it from the file you downloaded from the digitalriver download site for Windows 7? Because I wondered what you meant when you said the test disc last night turned out to be an OEM version when the download from the digital river site according to the website anyway says the below,

"There is no difference between the Windows 7 software you will install from the online store versus in retail stores. However, if you need to perform a custom (clean) install on your PC, we recommend you purchase the back-up DVD."

So is it actually an OEM version available to download or is it the Retail version?

If you could let me know I'd appreciate it,

Cheers mate.

20. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

I would appreciate the same as Ravenheart

I'm currently running vista hp 32 bit but i brought win 7 hp 64 bit so my upgrade files don't work, what I want to know is if I can get a hold of a retail disk can I still use my product key which i downloaded

I found this link https://windows7.digitalriver.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayOrderInformationPage&SiteID=mswpuk&Locale=en_GB#q4 which says it is the retail version just like as if you were to buy win 7 at the store.

so I'm guessing it's just the download files that are restricting us from burning a disk capable of a clean install, if anyone knows how successfully burn the win 7 install setup on to a disk from the downloaded files that would be great or if their is a way to use the purchased product key with a different install method plz let me know thanks.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2009