1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 - Pre-Beta availible (OUT NOW)

Discussion in 'Software' started by GoodBytes, 13 Sep 2011.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Thats what i read about it in another thread.... IM NOT SURPRISED!!

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

That is incorrect, try doing a search for WinRT. Windows 8 is a far bigger change than you realise
    try to be more informed when making sweeping statements like the above.

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/126-os/3055-winrt-the-new-windows.html

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/126-os/3048-window-8-the-developers-take.html

3. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Im on it like Donkey Kong : )

4. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Hmm, I reckon I'm going to have to ferret through my spares and see if I can get a test system built for this. I've had it confirmed that I can't stick it on an office system until it hits RC :(

5. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

On first impression I'm not really liking it. Then again havnt played around with it too much. Its buggy, but thats to be expected.

6. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

The tabletfication is starting to get a bit annoying. I sometimes have a video open in one internet browser tab on half my screen and then another tab open which I use to do what ever with. However I'm unable to work out how to have 2 browsers open at once without going to the desktop.

P.S. How do I turn the weather widget app to centigrade?

P.P.S. seems I can't have a 50/50 screen split either... Kinda sucks on a wide screen.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2011
  7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

You can't do that yet.

8. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

You're probably not going to be able to. The point of having the desktop is so you can do things you wouldn't be able to do in a tablet style app. You have to remember that the whole point of this preview is to allow developers a preview of the new system and a head start at getting to grips with developing new 'metro-style' apps. I wouldn't be suprised if a lot of UI options/polish is missing because it's simply not necessary for this type of preview. For example I'd imagine that by the time Windows 8 is released options will be available to switch back to the old style start menu rather than using hte new metro start screen but it's not an option needed in a preview release dedicated to the new start screen and it's way of working.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Actually, after using it a lot, And customizing my start screen with the program I use often.. I am starting to get the hand of it, and it starts working well for me. Please note, that, the issues I mentioned, still apply as annoying so far.
    I'll be honest.. I had to push myself for this... i had to fight a bit to break my habit, but I am starting to get the hand of it.

It's kinda like the ribbon bar for many... don't like it at first... but had to break old habbit, force myself, and now it's pretty good, and easy to use... I am not at the point of saying 'it's super great".. I need more time to get used to it, and from THAT point, I can compare with Win7 to see if it's less or more productive.

Ok, you are NOT going to like this. YES you can change it, and it does not involved hacking.
    It will feel hidden. Here is how you do it:
    Start the Weather program, now position your mouse at the bottom most LEFT corner of the screen (where the start menu is supposed to be, but really go on the corner). Do NOT click.. just position your mouse.
    The "Start menu" will appear. Click on "Settings".
    This will show the settings panel of the Weather app. Click on "Weather settings" (or something like that), and NOW you have the options to change it to Celsius.

Why not have, an "option" button on the application bar, which expends the application bar , and display more options... is beyond me.

No you can't. It's only ~20/80 screen split

10. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Well this just ain't gonna happen. Can't select drive to install it to from the standard .exe installer file, can't even load the disc straight from boot and Virtual Box is giving me error messages every time I try to install it. I give up :(

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you might have a bad iso

12. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

That's what I thought, but I've tried both the developer and standard versions and had no luck with either. Going 32bit now to see if that works any better.

Edit: Bingo. Apparently you need to enable APIC in the BIOS.

13. GoodBytes

I noticed today, that Alt+F4 can close a Metro App. W00t! (I guess a new update was delivered).

Although when you do it, it doesn't bring to the last app or start screen... it's just a green screen, until you do hit the Windows key.

14. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Wasn't Win7 supposed to be the last desktop OS that would have both 32 and 64 bit builds? I thought from now on, there would only be 64 bit OSes.

15. GoodBytes

That is what Microsoft said, indeed
    All I can think off is that 32-bit Win8 will be like XP 64-bit. It will be there... but what you get in the box is 64-bit version. It's there for compatibility purposes (16-bit support), for those who need it (well in XP 64-bit case was if you need it for something special/specific)

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

windows 8.. the metrosexual os xD

I'll install it full tonight and give it a go with some games.. wonder if it's on torrent can get it faster

17. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Apparently the ability for alt+f4 to close Metro Apps is only be available in builds with integrated dev tools and the intention is for Windows to determine when to close down Metro Apps in the full release.

18. GoodBytes

Ok, but it wasn't there initially.

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

no it wasnt cos i tried alt+f4 as soon as i couldnt close summat

20. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Yes there were 3 updates when I booted it today, after the updates I could use alt+f4, so it must have been one of the 'compatibility issues' in the update.

Tried a few games today, and I'm not sure what the issues is but 2 of 3 were very laggy (for those curious they were Doom 3, DE:HR, and Metro 2033). Granted I am using an old beater hard drive to test it on... and it is all alpha / beta software and drivers. The more time I spend with it, the less I dislike what has been done, but it still needs a lot more polish on it. I think I'll wait until the rc before I spend much more time with it.

Also for those wondering I got it from 3rd party torrent source in 4 minutes, so yes it is much faster than Microsoft servers.