1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Work for bit-tech, bit-gamer and Custom PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Feb 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The job pays better than that. James was merely keeping realistic expectations at the fore; you won't be getting a 30k salary in an entry level position, but it's a decent wage. In fact, I know for certain that it's significantly more competitive than the wage offered by our competitors.

And, as James says, there are a hell of a lot of perks - travel, games, hardware, parties and all the insurance and fun benefits of working at one of the best British publishers.

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

You forgot banhammer privileges :D

3. Synalar

Synalar What's a Dremel?

I have huge problems accessing Bit-tech; the browser shows the full page only through a proxy!!! Otherwise there are only few links and the OCZ commercial on a white background!

4. dartiss

dartiss What's a Dremel?

Where would it be based?

5. CardJoe

Central London, as it says in the advert at the top of this page.

That's weird. Drop a full description into the Feedback forum if you'd be so kind and we'll look into it.

6. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

I'm on it!

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

First of all, for the dude complaining about the request to write 500 words - wise up. I wrote 1000 word essays in a morning when I was at uni, and those were filled with facts, figures and other intelligent information. They're asking you to send a CV (which everyone should have a copy of, up to date, at all times) and write a 500 word review of your own PC. I could knock a meaningful review of my PC out in less than two hours.

Secondly, as I said the last time a position came up, I''d love to apply but I am not in the right geographical or employable position to do so at the moment. Has this come up because Rich left and someone (presumably) moved up the scale to fill his place, leaving a position open? Sorry if that was mentioned before, I just skimmed over this thread.

8. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

As much as I'd love to mess around with the latest hardware all day, I'll have to pass.
    I hate writing long essays etc, so this just isn't the job for me.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't work for bit-tech or Dennis any more, but it's fair to say that you don't become a journalist to get rich. Dennis's recruitment process is pretty much exactly the same as any previous recruitment we did on bit-tech during the 3+ years I was Editor.

I'm sure the pay will be competitive for the role, but as James says don't expect to become a millionaire. At the end of the day, journalism is a lifestyle choice and not a way to get rich. I can guarantee that if you love technology and writing, the job satisfaction will be up in the stratosphere.

10. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

This is what i like to see; growth of my fav website and mag. Keep up the good work and good luck to would be applicants.

11. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Seriously dude, if writing 500 words on something you should be comfortably familiar with is too much like hard work, then I wouldn't bother applying anyway.

To anyone sitting on the fence about applying because they don't think they've got the skills or the C.V. for it then I'd strongly advise getting off the fence and applying. That's how I felt when I applied not so long ago. As long as you have a passion for technology and cheesecake you'll be in with a shout (bringing Krispy Kremes to your interview could help too).

The only downside is that if you get the job you'll have to deal with witless trolls on the forums occasionally.

12. Synalar

Synalar What's a Dremel?

I really searched for this page; thanks!

I think that the majority is concentrating too much on the 500 word-count. It's more about the content and how it's presented-the review must somehow fit in the Bit-tech and Custom PC environment.
    It's not just taking a piece of hardware and throw a heap of technical data and/or subjective comments; the product must be described user-wise, the important features highlighted, the user interaction-experience showcased ("if I buy this, what can I expect"); the whole technical side must be then wrapped in a gift paper-just like a present. It must be attractive, however not distracting.
    It you exaggerate with subjective comments you can ruin even a technically perfect review; the subjective side is there only to spice and to add a personal-human note to the review.
    Too much salt or pepper is not that commendable (if you have to eat that oversalted supper yourself).

A publication has two ways; get a technically excellent person that is not that good at presenting, and have another one writing-presenting or can try to hire a good balance between technical knowledge and journalism. The second option is the hardest; the first the most expensive.

13. Synalar

Synalar What's a Dremel?

Just tell us your photos are finally downloadable as wallpapers :D
    (1920X1200 if you please)

14. Canon

Canon Reformed

This. I have a place waiting for me in Colchester but I couldn't justify leaving our little island as i'm comfortable at the moment. Also, not really worthy.

15. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Most companies will have competency based applications forms for applicants to fill out these days, by time you fill out each compentency based question with good solid evidence your skills, strengths/weaknesses etc - you will have written over 500 words easily.

16. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

Best of luck to all applicants! I can certainly vouch that whoever is lucky enough to fill the position will be working with an excellent group of people and getting to see some of the coolest tech before anyone else.

With regards to the recruitment process, it seems to be a logical and fairly standard process...would anyone ever apply for say...a graphic design job without being expected to demonstrate examples of their capability?

17. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

I need a pointing to 'relevant troll post' smilie about now.

18. ian8415

ian8415 What's a Dremel?

If you think 500 words is a lot, then journalism is not for you.

19. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Will it involve making large quantities of tea or coffee for the other staff?
    If not, count me out.

20. CardJoe

Only for Clive. The fool drinks litres of the stuff. Personally, I hold a 'I won't make it for you and you won't make it for me' rule on coffee, which was advised by my lawyers after I almost killed a man with a stewed teabag.

Tags: Add Tags