1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows X Rebirth

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by techhead, 8 Aug 2013.

1. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

There's no co-op option I'm afraid, it's a purely single-player game.
    You'll likely get an selection of user posted gameplay videos on YouTube over the weekend, so that'll probably be a good source for you to get an idea of some things to expect along with the usual reviews.

2. Williz

Williz Minimodder

My 290 arrived today, Rebirth came out today. I have a work party tonight (free booze woo!) But as soon as I get home this bad boy is getting installed, X is getting unpacked from pre-load and I'm playing this **** till dawn.

EDIT: Don't worry I have scansure, if I bust the card drunk I get a new one!

3. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Looks like gameholds.com price has gone up to £37. Not going to take the plunge for over £30

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, for me the lack of Co-op or any form of MP is a killer.

5. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'm the complete opposite, the pure single-player aspect of the the X series is a major attraction to me.

6. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Noooooooooooo! Just got home from work to an empty door mat! No XRebirth for me tonight.

7. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Yeah me too; so much for Amazon Prime.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Haven't got around to playing it yet (just been relaxing since coming back from work) but the Steam forums are full of bile (as usual) about several bugs in the game. Most of the people who are disliking it seem to be new to the X series though, so aren't used to Egosoft's way of doing things.

I can't get on Egosoft's site to confirm any bugs, which I assume to be down to most of the X player base trying to log on.

9. techhead

techhead Minimodder

I have been playing it all day and yes there are a few bugs in it. I did have a few games crashers, controlling the ship is a bit of problem at first but you will get use to it .The game seem to be set up for joy pad more than the mouse and keyboard .
    its a case of old dog new tricks type of thing . I do not want to be to hard on the game because I like it.

X is like a fine wine it gets better with age.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, I started it up for a little while and I can tell this is going to be one of my favourite games of all time. Absolutely beautiful and massive in scope. I can't believe the sheer amount of space traffic you get - it really does feel like a living, breathing universe. The space highways and superhighways are brilliant - one thing I hated about the previous X-games was the fixed 'NESW' gates.

Gameplay wise, I'm actually quite liking mouse over joystick since it's Freelancer style controls. Some are moaning about the comparatively low detail textures and NPCs but when you understand the sheer size of the game, it's understandable.

Performance wise, this game is the new Crysis as far as I'm concerned. With all settings maxed out (no antialiasing, though forcing FXAA through drivers) I'm getting a borderline playable framerate. All GPUs are maxed out (and really going for it, hottest I've ever seen them run), CPU usage at ~25% (which I put down to GPU limitations). RAM usage is actually quite low - system total was ~4.4GB and VRAM use was at ~1.9GB (this can go up to 3GB with 8xAA).

If they bring out a patch that magically makes the framerate double, I will jump up and down with excitement. Failing that, I suppose I can wait for Nvidia's 9xx series of cards.

11. GravitySmacked

God damn it sounds tasty; I hope my copy arrives in the morning and my 780's can give it some justice.

12. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

played a few minutes yesterday. I was dead tired but I liked the start. very slow tutorial(beginning of the campaign) and I found that the advice that came up on screen was gone too fast.
    There seem to be a lot of people totally raging!!! that this game is horrible. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about...

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Out of curiosity I decided to disable SLI and found that the game ran the same - in other words SLI doesn't work.

At the risk of sounding elitist, I get the impression it's the ADHD COD players who buy every game and then get upset when they find out they have to pay attention for more than 30 seconds. There's been no appreciation for the sheer scale of the game.

14. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I agree with you. The advice was gone far too quickly and most of the time I was wondering whether or not what it said was important! I too can't understand the raging - the Steam forums (as I expected) are as bad as usual.

The first time you are asked to dog-fight is a bit of challenge and I died a few times! I thought they could have introduced an easier fight first!

So far I have not had any actual game problems other than a few slow-downs when there are a lot of assets on screen.

I found that the feel of the game is quite 'retro' - I don't mean that the graphics look dated, but it's more the style. It kind of takes me back!

15. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

Any news on when x rebirth will be available here in my place? Can't wait to try it actually..

16. GravitySmacked

Well I've been playing it for a couple of hours and whilst it does start off easier to get to grips with than the previous games but it doesn't last long. I'm currently looking for an engineer but I've suffered a couple of crashes in the process.

Performance is an issue, SLI, as mentioned isn't working and it does tend to chug. Maxed at 2560 x 1080 I'm getting around 30 FPS with 2 x 780's.

It's is beautiful in places and I love the first person aspect, being able to walk around your ship and wander around stations is great. It just needs a patch or two and some optimizing.

17. techhead

techhead Minimodder

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

One thing that is irking me at the moment (other than the lack of SLI support) is that the menus scale with resolution - which means I have to lean in quite close to my monitor to be able to read them.

When the Egosoft forums are back up, I'll put in a request for larger fonts. I think SLI support is Nvidia's responsibility though, right?

19. techhead

techhead Minimodder

There is a lot players with SLI problem on the egosoft forums and more (the forums are back up)Even with all it bugs I still love the game. Bernd Lehahn must of lost the plot when he seen the back lash from the game forums.
    But a new patch will be out in maybe 2 weeks time to fix the Performance ( they are asking players with SLI to send in there DXdaig to help them)

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I think I'm going to leave this for a couple of months until most of the bugs are sorted. I've got other games to get through, including finishing the plot for Albion Prelude!