1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows X Rebirth

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by techhead, 8 Aug 2013.

1. Pete J

Pete J Working from home?

Just an update for anyone holding out hope for this game (like me), Egosoft have released X Rebirth 2.0 with the 'Secret Service' missions that offer some new cockpits.

I may try to give this a shot now.

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Let me know how you get on. I don't think I can go back after that launch unless a miracle has occurred.

3. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

There's been massive improvements over the last few patches, still a bit further to go.
    The new starting options and randomised cockpits are a nice addition, plus the option to purchase alternate cockpits ingame great.

The game feels a bit more alive now as well, with the Xenon doing a bit more in the universe and a few more ships having been added to the game.

Performance has seen a drastic increase, still a little jumpy in places and there's the occasional moment of being stuck inside a station or asteroid but Egosoft are definitely moving in the right direction with their patches.

Hopefully just a few more major fixes to go, and then it'll just be a case of small patches here and there whilst they work on new content.

4. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It's good to hear they're still trying to fix it but it's going to take a lot for me to forgive them. I don't think I've ever been more disappointed with a game launch than I was with this one.

5. techhead

techhead Member

The game has moved on a lot in the past 6 month. And there a lot more to come too a new U.I and there is a 64bit exe in the wings and many more add-ons to come .

I do agree when the game came out it was in a very poor sate and I was disappointed with a game launch my self.

6. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I agree, the launch was a bit of a shambles.

Egosoft have done exceptionally well to pull back after such a tragic mess, though I'd say a lot of that is down to the fantastic modding community behind the game.
    A good portion of the content and fixes in the 2.0 patch started out as projects from the modding community, the development team made a very wise choice in deciding to implement them into their official patch.

I think Bernd was smart to say that they're not even thinking about an X4 at the moment and that sorting out Rebirth is their one and only focus for the foreseeable future.
    If they turned around and started working on X4 at this time, the community would just up and leave...

7. techhead

techhead Member

After many months of beta testing the game . I can safely say that version 2.5 will be released very soon the new U.I interface is much better now and the game is now at the state it should have been released from day one
    But really good news is that version 3.0 is around the corner. yip that's write a DLC pack it will be free to people who own the game all ready and any one who buys it before the 1st of November

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=371656

8. Pete J

Still haven't got around to playing this properly but it looks like I should hold off until version 3 is released - I wants me that external camera!

9. techhead

techhead Member

10. techhead

techhead Member

X rebirth version 3.00 is out there has been a few big changes along the way in its development.
    Improvements
    frame rate has gone up too much stable and playable state.
    Trading is now more balanced and and seems to work very well.
    Fighting is a bit more ruthless.
    Building when the game came out you could only build in set build locations but now you can build anywhere you want.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXQijj2-DEw&feature=youtu.be

11. Pete J

Heh, over a year later and I still haven't got around to playing this.

12. Risky

Risky Well-Known Member

I finally bought the game after several years away from the X-universe. It seems to up up to 4.0 now!

13. Pete J

...and I STILL haven't played it!

After Fallout 4, I shall be on this.

14. Pete J

So, finally got around to playing it...

The good:

The game is wonderfully stable and all bugs appear to have been ironed out. The game is very pretty and performs pretty decently. Additionally, there's now support for multi device input - perfect for those who've invested in decent gear for Elite Dangerous and/or Star Citizen!

The bad:

At first the game gives the impression that it's large, but in reality the active world seems to be in set places around the 'hyperway' network, which IMHO makes things seem very close together. The combat is quite limited.

The ugly:

This doesn't feel like an X game - well, maybe like the very first one but I never played that. Where the hell did station hacking come from?! Quite frankly the game is just not grabbing me. Also, ONE FLYABLE SHIP?! Shields and afterburner using the same energy 'bar'? FPS style gun mechanics instead of hard points?

=======================

I'm a little heartbroken over the game. I want to like it but can't. I certainly don't hate it but the game is just...meh. Egosoft should've realised that all the fans wanted was an updated version of X3: prettier graphics, smarter AI, more ships and weapons (though Albion Prelude certainly had a wide choice already). Maybe do a bit of a rejig on the gate system, which they attempted but didn't nail - perhaps a more IWar 2 mechanic.

I don't think I can play any more - I've only played a few hours as well (currently stuck on a mission where I have to capture a ship but I don't remember receiving instructions on how to do so). As soon as I do, I'm reminded that I enjoy Star Citizen a lot more, as well as the fact that the X3 series are more fun!