1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Yuugou" Finished (1 Buy.com Lan pic)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by greensabbath, 23 Mar 2006.

1. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

pro modder :D :thumb:

2. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Thanks a lot guys

Don't worry, I'm going to sand it very smooth and round it over a bit.

3. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

I think it would be best if the slot would not really be a slot. It should have a leaf shape, being a little wider at the center.
    If you do it that way DVDs would always touch only with edges.
    (As I write this it occurs to me that probably the DVD drive has a linear slot; maybe that could be modded)

Last edited: 2 Feb 2007
  4. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

I'm not totally sure what you mean about the dvd drives only touching the edges but i think its going to be fine either way.

I just got back from the powder coater. Its going to cost about 100 bucks which seems like a great deal. Also i'm going with a semi-gloss black finish and they had it on a motorcycle frame there and it looked very hot. Stay tuned for more hopefully in a few days.

5. Heero195

Heero195 What's a Dremel?

Been watchin' this the whole time. Can't wait to see it finished :thumb:

6. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

The black should look dead sexy against all the wood. Awesome.

7. SlappKnutts

SlappKnutts What's a Dremel?

This is an absolutely amazing piece of work!
    I joined this forum to get ideas and help for my mod, but I've spent more time reading then working on my own project! I this mod is one the prime examples!
    Keep up the great work! I cant wait to see it finished!

8. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Thanks very much guys.

@SlappKnutts: Don't worry about reading more than doing, I still spend ages reading all the project logs on here and going back and reading old ones, its one of the best ways to get ideas and figure out how to do things.

I don't really have much to update on at the moment except I've started the wiring and I'm waiting on a few things.

At first for the wiring, I was tempted to slightly half-ass it, just to get this thing done. By half ass i mean it would look ok but nothing special but then it hit me. Why would I want to do that? My personal Philosophy is if you're too ashamed to show it, it shouldn't be there in the first place. Sure most people won't see the wiring behind the plexi but who cares. I'm not building this for the people who judge things on surface value. I'm really building this (not only as a personal challenge) but for those who want to know what the wiring looks like underneath and how every little detail is done.

Of course not everything is perfect and I've come to expect that, even in my own work, but its my job to do the best I possibly can. Recently I've been pressuring myself to get this mod done but what is the point. I'm going to take my time, do everything as perfectly as possible, and enjoy it. This includes things that won't be seen. And in the end, I'm sure I'll be glad I did.

Thanks for listening guys and I'll have an update sometime this week

Stay Tuned.

9. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Bravo for you. That's some nice way of looking at things.
    Just goes to prove that all art, be it paintings, music or even modding, lead to personal growth.

10. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

And old saying, but it still has merit...'If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right."

I agree with your hesitance to slap something together to reach an artificial completion point.

11. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

I beg your pardon for this late answer but I was out of home visiting my son and preparing a small vacations trip.

I wrote one word less than I should, I meant DVD disks.
    If the slot is wider in the middle only the edges of disks can touch it while you are introducing them.
    After I wrote that I looked to a Nintendo Wii and I saw they have a slot with that shape to introduce disks.

P.S. Am on vacation now.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2007
  12. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Like Paris Hilton would say "That's Hot"

13. dutchcedar

dutchcedar What's a Dremel?

Hey Sabbath... this is turning out to be really cool... :hip:

I can see you're enjoying the cutting and fitting and checking and double checking and the trying real hard to be patient, etc., etc.

I'm really likin' the way you use gentle curves in all the right places... very nice... :thumb:

14. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Yes.. Paris is correct, "that's HOT"..
    RoCK on Greeny!!

Last edited: 7 Feb 2007
  15. Andres

Andres What's a Dremel?

Hey,

First of all lets start from the good, I really like your connections and they seemed to work out well, also I admire your woodworking skills :)

Now the negative. To me the industrial look of aluminium looks bit rough and as the wood surrounding is so pale makes it to stand out more. Length from front panel metal to the end of wood seems to be big too, will you be putting there another wooden construction (the dark one on the side), that would fill the gap.

Keep up the good work, as I am planning to do wooden case myself I got to learn from you.

PS. How much does it weigh?

16. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

very nice mod! keep it up looks very very very nice!

17. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Thanks a lot guys. I've been working on the wiring plan and I'll hopefully have an update about that pretty soon.

@Andres: The aluminum will be black powder coated to give it a more neutral look, otherwise I'd agree with you. The front design is still undecided. I want to do a simple cutout with a just a few lines that can be backed with either more black or with a contrasting paper. Good luck on your project too.

Oh, it weighs a lot, and is only getting heavier. By the end, I probably won't be able to lift it all together (wood and aluminum)

The wiring has been a bit of a "pickle" but I think I have a plan now. Now i jsut need to test everything and order the stuff. It should give a very nice look without covering everything up, even though most people won't see it anyway.

Thanks again for all of your comments guys. They keep me going.

Stay Tuned.

18. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Well does it realy matter if you aren't big Lanparty fan... or are you? Still, moving that kind of Artwork must have some sacrifices :)

Nice work you have done here! Thumbs UP! :thumb:

19. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

I've only been to one, the Geforce LAN and it was friggen cool (except most other LANs now will seem a bit small) but you're right, I don't mind moving these things too much as long as they don't get hurt. A little extra effort for a couple minutes moving this thing are definitely worth it to say the front panel is 3/16 in alu plate :D Oh, its going to get wood carrying case similar to Sangaku's so the weight won't be a huge deal anyway.

More planning today and a small update later. I've been sanding and things are getting very pretty.

Stay tuned.

20. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Hey everyone, I promised an update so here it is. First off, I've been doing some sanding lately in preparation for the powder coating and also since its easy but its making the case look much nicer in my opinion.

For you, I have some eye candy: Sanded aluminum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some great news. I snagged my first official sponsor (with another very large one pending)... SilverStone.

[​IMG]

I've wanted one of their Strider power supplies for a while and they recently came out with a 850watt one which should be sufficient for my power needs. Its also modular, making the cable running much easier. Once I have the Power supply in hand, I'm going to do a mini-review on it and that will be up on my site.

Here is the link to what I'm getting. Very nice.
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-85f.htm

I also made a new web page for Yuugou, visit my site in my sig to see it.

More info on everything later.

Stay tuned.