1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Car insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 21 Jun 2012.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Krikkit, I love you. 106 Rallye! Awesome bit of kit! :D

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

All my quotes are coming from gocompare at the moment. I'll try the bigger company's as mentioned and see where that gets me...

If not it looks like that Ford Ka on autotrader going for £250 doesn't look so bad after all :hehe:

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

There is certainly an argument for a disposable first car! You might be less inclined to do anything dangerous with a car that will evapourate on impact... I probably should've gone with something smaller than my (dads technically) Sierra as a first car.

4. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

I've been doing a similar hunt recently having just passed my test; the only difference being that I'm 27. Given general needs I've been looking at things that aren't unreasonable for motorway driving as that is likely to be a significant need. So far, the best price I've come across is for a 2L Audi A4 TDI, which was about £800 fully comp, and that was using details for a brand new £30k car.

Bizarrely enough, both a Caterham 7 and a new AC Cobra both came in at under £1200 fully comp...

5. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Damn them 6 years make quite the difference. I totally forgot about motorway driving when i mentioned the Ford Ka :duh:

:miffed:

6. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

25 years the age when you will see a massive drop in insurance

Also are you willing to look at older classic cars?

I always wanted a 1960s Mustang alas we live in the uk.

But here is a couple more:

Ford Capri 1.6 Laser, Look for one with a 5 speed gear box, massively fun as the back end likes to step out, plus no ecu just pure mechanical goodness.

Triumph Spitfire Mk. 4 1300cc Roadster

VW 1960s bug

Ol Mini

The list goes on

Last edited: 22 Jun 2012
  7. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

The point I was more driving at is it's worth having a look at some more odd-ball offerings that exist as anomolies in an actuary's tables. Things like kit-cars tend to have very low accident rates because they tend to driven by older enthusiasts, so insurance can be surprisingly low. Whilst a Caterham 7 or a Cobra will probably too much to purchase (they certainly are for me), something like an old MG may not be quite so bad.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It is indeed. A snap of mine at Donington last weekend. Excuse the watermark, but £10 for a pic is rather too much!

[​IMG]

9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Mind if I ask what mods are on it and the power output? That's made me reconsider getting a 106 now..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

10. Krikkit

16v engine from a GTI with induction and decat exhaust to give it c.120hp (maybe a bit more, but that'd be bragging). Other than that it's pretty much standard, uprated engine mounts and wishbone bushes. Alloys with 195/50/15's, goes well because it's only 950kg with me and a tank of fuel. :)

I'd definitely recommend buying one, it's a fantastic car, and can be run incredibly cheaply if you have a vague ability with a socket set.

[edit] Go on, you know you want to! http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3975651.htm

Last edited: 22 Jun 2012
  11. trundley

trundley What's a Dremel?

Im 19 and just got a 1.0 corsa club insured with insurethebox.com and got it for £2300 - ish, far below any other insurer. Next year, with 1 year NCB, i can insure a 2.0 petrol hyundai coupe for a couple hundred more. Good times.

12. Krikkit

That's not really that good - where do you live? My insurance at that age was down to ~£1400, even with inflation yours is still quite high.

13. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I was looking at some straight GTi's, for about £700 less, I don't mind getting my hands dirty either.
    I kinda want something I can use to get to and from town, the occasional motorway trip and finally something I can explore some B-roads with.

My highest quote when I was looking at cars at 17 was £1600.. and that was a Mondeo 2.0L.. how the hell is it that high?!

14. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Ahhh insurance.

My girlfriend paid a grand for her 107. Apparently that was primarily because she was unemployed when the policy was started.

I paid a touch (Thirty quid) over a grand with 1 years NCB for my ST170 (Two litre focus) five door just this year.

First year on a 1.6 focus I paid 2200, or there abouts, and 1200 for my second year (Although I changed cars part way into that year, so lost that ~6 months NCB).

It's a fun game, enjoy being stiffed!

16. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Back off! She's mine :p

17. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Knock yourself out! You know I only have eyes for a 4WD ;)

18. spaceman1

spaceman1 What's a Dremel?

Get a surf i got one and love it its a 94 3ltr ssrx mmm sexy as

19. Krikkit

Truth be known a GTI would make a better daily as std - electric windows, air con, PAS, ABS, more interior trim etc and a lot cheaper because they're not rarities.

As a fun car for exploring a B road they're pretty fantastic - even the legendary Cup 172 didn't quite have the zing as mine imo. They're also surprisingly reliable - there's a lot of talk about them being crap, but realistically if you buy a decent one and don't skimp on maintenance they're trouble free. :)

That, and if you get the itch you can really go mad and transform them into a properly quick fast road car for not much money.

[edit] Forgot to add, Quaife quick-rack added to mine, completely different car now, transforms the car when pressing on a bit... Although parking is quite heavy on the arms!

20. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Paying over £2000 for insurance is just insane. Something needs to be done to bring this down, and it's not just the insurance companies faults either. These no win no fee solicitors are a big problem, and if I think the government should do something to eliminate them. I also think that being involved in an accident is the risk everyone takes when getting into a car. I'd also ban people being able to claim for minor injuries, such as whiplash. Having to be off work for a week or two isn't an excuse to claim for thousands in compensation, because sick pay should be enough. Major injuries are a different matter.

When I was 17, I was insured on both of my parents cars which cost them an additional £400. Those were a 2.0L TD Rover 420, and a 2.8L TD Daihatsu Fourtrack. Farm insurance helped though.