1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Car insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 21 Jun 2012.

1. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

20, Nissan Micra P reg. With Admiral multicar (Mine, and Parents) £515 for me I think it was this year.
    And they moved 2 years of my dads no claims onto mine.

Win?

2. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Having just done some quick GoComparing, 2000 106 GTI is coming in at £774 fully comp with no NCB and having held a license for 2 years. I think I might be a 106 GTI then tbh. Will definitely need to resist the urge to rip out the rear seats.

Edit: TPFT is £712. For the sake of a few extra quid a month I think fully comp would be a good shout.

3. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Ours is a new Kia Picanto 1.0l. Not exactly a fast car (especially going up a hill :hehe:) but it's £1,000 for both of us, with my wife (main driver) having business use cover. That's our first year of insurance, so neither of us have a NCB. We were 21 when we insured the car.

So in short, if you're under 25 and don't have much/any NCB, you need to be looking at a small engine car.

4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

*cough* look above *cough*

Out interest, where are people located that are getting this insanely high quotes? Even if I put my address as my old uni house (centre of Portsmouth, next to the 'rough' area) I still am hard pushed to get it to go over £1k.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Honestly, do it. They're fantastic cars even if you only keep it for a year before fancying something quicker/RWD it's worth the sillyness they represent. Mine looks a bit wilder, but a standard one in silver/black is a great sleeper hatch. Most folks now would look at 15" wheels and assume it won't have more than a motorised peppergrinder, until you go "quick" diesel hunting and embarassing other road users.

Try and resist the urge to rip out the seats, initially at least - ideally the front end is the place to lose weight from, unless you've got a taste for snappy oversteer (with the GTI's PAS rack that shouldn't be too hard to beat btw)

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I'm seriously thinking of giving up my days off now, get an extra couple of shifts in. Get it ASAP. To be fair, I won't have it until 1st of Sept as that's when I've had my license 2yrs, and no doubt that'll make a huge difference to premiums. I might have to give it some extra juice as well, but I reckon that'll be another thread on here some other time.

As for oversteer? Give it to me on the track, or closed B-roads, I'd rather not be going crazy round the roundabout. As a guide, what weight could I lose from the front?

Edit:

Definitely waiting until September to get one, changing the years I've help my license for to 1yr increases the premium to £1400 fully comp, although it's £900 TPFT.. Man, I'm so tempted!

7. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I've been wondering for a while if I could afford to insure a BMW 330 Ci Sport, appears I can. Quotes on comparethemarket came out at £715, £100 more than my 320d. It's tempting to sell my car and pick one up, but not sure I could afford to run a 3.0L petrol car atm. Being able to get 50-60mgp out of mine keeps the running costs low.

I've just started to get a little bored of my car. It seemed pretty quick when I first got it, them seemed quite rapid when I chipped it (produces close to 180bhp now and will leave anything below a 325 behind), but I want something quicker!

8. Bhuvsta

Bhuvsta Minimodder

Thats a bargain! I'm 26 4 years NCB, 8 yr licence and I pay £600 quid fully comp on my Type-R.

9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Think i've settled it now...

£1548.72
    VAUXHALL CORSA SXI 16V 1199cc
    Third Party Fire & Theft cover, no NCB
    £250 voluntary excess requested

Something like this... not too shabby :).
    [​IMG]

but would have to be a 5 door :)

Last edited: 24 Jun 2012
  10. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

The most I've been quoted was around £4,500 for a 1.2 R reg Fiesta Sport (just me at 18).. Looked a few months back at a 1.2 2002 plate clio I could get for around £750 mark was £2,500 so tbh I dont think I'll be driving till im out of uni :/

11. dullonien

You could get it cheaper if you got something that didn't have SXI in it's name. Also from what I understand Corsa's have high insurance because they're what all the idiot boy racers drive, and hence are involved in a lot of accidents. You might be able to get a much nicer, and ultimately more powerful car if you think outside the box, and get something different. Something like a Rover would be cheap insurance, but would be rather 'uncool'. I'd personally rather have a Rover than a Corsa though.

12. legoman

legoman breaker of things

This, i have a Corsa myself OK i have 6 years NCB but i have declared mods and the car wasnt an SXI. im paying 600 a year for mine fully comp £50 excess. Mods i have on there, spoiler, alloys, lowered suspension and additional cover for audio equipment.

To give you an idea i could insure an Audi A2 or a Honda Civic EP2 Diesel for very similar money. Think of the car as an investment as in something your going to keep for a long time not change up engine size in six months job. Works out cheaper to avoid the common new driver cars.

13. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

My first car after learning to drive was a nova, 4 speed, gold 1l I think. It was slow and not miles of fun to drive but it was a. Free b. Mine and c. Very cheap to insure. Fpft was around 200 quid iirc. This was 6 years ago. After a year I bought a 1.4 seat ibiza entry spec, didn't have electric windows or cl. Cost 3k and was only group 3 insurance so peanuts really. All my cars except the ibiza have been old though. Bangernomics Cheesecake.

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Bangernomics is the best way to enjoy some seriously fun cars.

Car auctions are a little bit like running around a mine field as if a wasp is chasing you, but after a few years you can spot a lemons in the crowd.

Also don't list yourself as a student on your insurance, thats an instant 25% increase on your quote.

15. BigM2006

BigM2006 What's a Dremel?

Im 24, working full time as an IT engineer, drive a 1.3 Mitsubishi Colt, 55 plate, with 6 years NCB.

Live in Bradford city centre (apparently the worst place in UK for car insurance...)

Go on....guess...

£2160 a year.

Thats with £500 voluntary excess, £250 compulsory excess, fully comp.
    10,000 miles a year SDP+C, and its parked in a secure CCTV covered compound overnight.

As soon as I can I'm moving out of the BD1 postcode!

Mike

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

They're really not that bad as long as you get decent tyres on them - with mine on T1-R's you have to be going seriously fast to get the back out, so on the road I never really get that far (don't drive that hard on public roads, too much what if).

For weight loss fibreglass bonnet and wings are quite common, but realistically most folks just adjust to avoid provoking it.

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Entertaining the idea of getting a Honda Beat.

18. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i couldn't be bothered to read all the posts in this thread so i don't know if someone said, check for quotes fully comp as this can sometimes be cheaper than third party, fire and theft

19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

£220 fully comp £200 Excess. Total premium with Full breakdown, NCD protection, Legal cover, Lost key cover, 28 Days courtesy car, £100000 injury cover. £330 Total.
    29yrs old
    Audi A5
    10yrs NCD
    HGV Tanker driver

20. dullonien

Are you sure? I just did two quotes on CompareTheMarket, one where I'm down as a student, and one down as an architectural technician (last job), and it came out as £35 more expensive as an architectural technician, both with Elephant.co.uk (which is owned by Admiral, and they'll match the price).

Also what are the rules about lying to your insurer about your profession? Insurance companies are renowned for not paying out if any details are incorrect, so not sure if it would be worth deceiving them anyway.

Edit. Actually, I re-did my quote as a student, and it came out as £660, whereas yesterday's quote using exactly the same details came out as £615. Elephant coming out the cheapest both times again. Slightly crazy. Why would the quote have gone up £45 in one day? This means that not putting myself down as a student would save about £10.