1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Car insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 21 Jun 2012.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

List your part time job instead or the actually profession your training in.

2. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Insurance never makes any sense.
    I would advise against lying about any of your details to get a cheaper quote. For the sake of a couple of quid versus not actually being covered, it really is not worth it.

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

There are no rules, it's like this: if you lie to or try to mislead your insurer (about anything) your insurance is invalidated and you will be liable to prosecution and 6 points on your licence if caught.

Car ownership is not cheap. Simples.

4. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I thought 1.5 was cheap for a first car with no experience and no claims.

That's what i paid last year for my bike and that's only a 125cc... year later it's down to 335 :p

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

By today's standards that seems very reasonable, but what dullonien is getting at is that you are in a high-risk group due to age, combining that with a car of that type puts you into another risky group as there's lots of chavtastic modded ones running round getting stuffed through hedges.

Something less risky like a Rover 25, an old Mondeo, Volvo S40 etc might be better while still being better cars than the Corsa. Get yourself on moneysupermarket and play around with the different cars in budget, see what you can come up with.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

can you not use your bike's NCD towards your car insurance?

im 24, driving a lovely Volvo s40 1.8l, 1 year NCD so far. paying £850 with my Dad on it as second driver. pretty reasonable IMHO, insurance has sure shot right up, i was quoted £1500 for a Golf when i just passed driving test when i was 18.

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

FTFY ;)

My insurance has floated around £250-£300 over the years (I'm 37), fully comp £100 excess. Currently driving a Micra 1.2SX 2003. I was 'lucky' I didn't really need to pass my test until 6 years ago. I've only had one claim, when I hit a deer in a Laguna 1.9dci - the renewal price went up a fair bit after that! Shopping around made it not quite as much a dent in the wallet.

Also, if you swap insurers, stop the previous DD as not all insurers do it for you.

8. fev

fev Industry Fallout

25 Years Old
    8 years NCD
    Pass plus (not even worth listing anymore)
    Audi A5
    £540 fully comp

9. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

30yo
    10 YNCD

Old:
    Audi A6 2.7t 250bhp @ 330bhp
    £385 with all the extras.

New
    Audi A6 2.5 TDI 163
    £335 with all the extras

10. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

What are the laws regarding insurance for driving with a DVLA registered disability. I heard that as long as the DVLA deems you fit to drive the insurers can't discriminate, is this true?

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

They could probably up your premium in accordance with the (potential) increased risk but I'm not sure. My dad has just gone on to insulin, when he called his insurance they're attitude was if the DVLA say you're ok then you're fine and didn't adjust his premium. Though this might change come renewal time.

12. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Haven't got a part time job, no time on a masters. Also putting down 'Architect' is a double whammy, it's misleading the insurers + it's is illegal to claim that you're an architect when you're not fully qualified.

For more information on selecting a job title, MoneySavingExpert has a quick guide here. It's worth seeing what else you can put down (without invalidating your policy), and seeing what it can save you.

There really is very little I can put down that will save me any money.

As others have said though, putting down a named driver reduced my policy by around 15% I think. Put my g/f down. So Evolutionsic, if you haven't already, try putting your mum or dad down as a named driver (have no idea if having more than one helps), because that should reduce it slightly.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I haven't paid more than £300 a year for insurance for ages. When you get to 30 insurers don't seem to differentiate much between engine power outputs unless you get into the 200bhp plus zone.

14. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Renewed insurance today, £251 fully comp on the kit car, 24 years old.

15. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I love how a topic on car insurance ends up with everyone just saying how much they are paying...

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

It's also a good chance to learn people's ages.

/stalker

Guest-44432 likes this.
  17. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

The corsa came in at 1.5k...

VOLVO S40 XS 1587cc
    25 June 2012 16:03
    Cheapest price:
    £2487.26

ROVER 25 IL 1589cc
    25 June 2012 16:08
    Cheapest price:
    £3010.00

18. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

For cheap car insurance:

1. Buy any TVR.

2. Phone MSM insurance.

3. Sit back and wait for a silly low quote.

A friend of mine bought a Cerbera @ 21 years old. His insurance was £660 fully comp.

19. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Held license for 20 months
    2 years NOC (2x 10 month admiral scheme)
    Fabia VRS

£450 Fully Comp + Business Insurance = from quote me happy (£400 cheaper than admiral. £2,000 cheaper than Tesco. £3,000 cheaper than direct line).

Quotemehappy (part of aviva) blitzed all my other options, there website is brilliant, there service is brilliant, you can make instant changes to your policy on the fly (I added business insurance for £8 and it was instant, and it didn't extend my original insurance dates - just a couple of clicks online).

They've gained a customer for life in me. When I spoke to admiral to match, they came down £400 (still £400 different) and the lass on the phone said that they had lost a lot of customers to quotemehappy recently and that admiral couldn't get near there prices.

20. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

- 26 years old
    - 8 years no claims
    - 370z @ 354bhp
    - £720 fully comp with Elephant

What I find strange is that when my renewal quote came from Admiral, they were putting my premium up by £300. However Elephant (which is essentially the same company, operating from the same address) offered me a price that Admiral were unable to compete with.