1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding Rant

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Guest-23315, 25 Dec 2010.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

What he said!

john

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Modding is all about different styles and tastes and if every one was the same it would get boring. I voted for Purple rain in the MOTY because I like that style , I also thought the one in your pic (Monolith?) was another excellent build. Thats not to say it will appeal to everyone.
    As I've said already on here, I like a bit of bling in my cases, some people like it and some won't.
    I know what Kovoet is saying about beginners getting flammed and maybe putting them off, it doesn't happen often on here and when it did a while back they guy who started it got slaughtered by every one on the forum and to right as well. I'm all for constructive criticism, it does help.If I don't like something I keep my thoughts to myself even though I desperately want to say something. But back to case modding and scratch build, where would some thing Like Bizmark fall in to this, it was a case once but theres very little of it left. I think Kojak has done brilliantly with it.
    I'm thinking about a scratch build soon but I'm also aware that I don't have the skills or tools to start making mobo trays so I'll grab hold of one of the Lian li trays and mod that as necessary, I might attempt the HD rack though. So where doe that leave me ? is it a true scratch build or not because I'm using a few off the shelf parts.

I still agree with spitting the categories up. Maybe when it comes to the MOTY they should split it up as the but back to what I said before it could go into all sorts of sub categories and just get very messy.

3. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

I tend to agree with teh Mankz on many of these points, but I'm also sure this will get old pretty fast since they, as you say, are all the same.

What annoys me though are not the cases themselves, it's the worklogs. A worklog is just that, a log for work. I do not want to see fifteen flashy pictures of an off-the shelf wc block/res, or even just a collection of black bolts they are going to use. Ofc this ties in quite well with your topic as it is what most of the logs for cases like this looks like.

Though if they only showed the actual work done the log would be a pretty light read :)

This.

4. bulldogjeff

It's catch 22 , I didn't bother putting any pics of the hardware in my last log, I just concentrated on the build itself and then people start asking whats going in to it. You or some one else might not like reading but the vast majority of people want to know what make it tick. As they say" you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time"!

5. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Don't get me wrong, of course I want to know what'll be inside the case :D

It's just that many these projects I am referring to have so little actual work done (apart from some painting and sleeving), that it just becomes a showcase of components to be used, which is frankly pointless and uninteresting.

(And no, assembling an off-the-shelf wc-system does not count as "work" :p)

Last edited: 28 Dec 2010
  6. bulldogjeff

Yeah,I see where you're coming from, cant argue with that.

7. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Haha., you took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't agree more. I'm sick to death of
    dozens of photos of the parts some-one has just bought, waiting patiently for the images to
    load in anticipation of some new work and then; Nothing. That was it, just parts. :eyebrow:

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

^^ this is what im getting at. The logs are now just an excuse to show off. I've got no problems with a quick list of hardware, or the occasional shot of a part when its reinvent to the mod, such as a photo of the motherboard when you're test fitting it to the case etc. etc. its this endless dribble of artsy photos which are more about the photo than the actual case, which just makes my eyes go sleepy.

9. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Hmm, I agree with this. Bring on the case modding!

10. bulldogjeff

You lot have got me paranoid now. I've just read back through my last to mods. I've also come to the conclusion that the mob over at Million dollar PC wouldn't like my mods at all..lol

Edit: Sorry if it looks like I'm trying to take over this thread by posting all the time. I can assure you I'm not. It's just one of those threads which has really grabbed my attention.

11. jhanlon303

Are you building for Million dollar PC or for Jeff! Here there be people. Interaction. MDPC leaves me cold. Sterile pics of stuffz done. No heart and soul.

12. bulldogjeff

I love this site it's always lively. And as I said before some people build to seek approval from others , I do what I like because I'm the one who's got the finished article sitting in my front room. If other people like what I'm doing then thats a bonus.
    Going back to what Kojak said, I come on here for the same reasons as him because none of my mates are into modding. That said I've got friendly with a few people on here so I suppose i have got a few geeky mates as my misses likes to refer to them..lol

I like modding PC's I find it relaxing and the more I get into it the more I'm finding myself wanting to do a scratch build. It'll probably end up going with my usual style and have a bit of bling in it although I've promised myself to I'll try to be more subtle, I can't see it happening though.

I know what you're saying about MDPC, I'd rather read a log as well. I've never actually bothered asking any one what they think of my logs, I know they do tend to drift off topic quite a bit in between updates but I dont really mind that, i find it just keeps it all nice and casual and friendly.

13. jhanlon303

Off topic? You ever see any of my logs or Cheapskates, or E.E.L Ambiense? Pronounced history of straying off topic.

Hard to stay on topic when someone is modding without electricity during a hurricane or taping off a bathroom to become a paint booth. Or modding in a room with no ceiling.

Here there be fun.

14. bulldogjeff

Modding in a room with no ceiling....I call that the garden:D:D:D:duh:

15. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I used to have access to a garden shed for modding, but these days I live in a flat, so it gets done on the lounge-dining-kitchen's carpet, atop an old pillowcase from a bed-cover set :D

I do take Mankz' point and quite agree, that a mod should have pictures of actual modding. It doesn't need hundreds of pictures of shiny hardware - when I go through a modding log I skip all that and look at what's actually been done to the case itself.

A point I've also absorbed from John, is that its good to put up in progress and get feedback. I'm working on a mod at the moment but haven't put up a log for it as I'm notorious for starting stuff and not getting back to it, however if I leave it too long I'm going to end up just putting a mostly-finished project log up, and then what's the point?

I'll get my piccies tidied up and posted today - sorry Mankz its a Lian Li, but I'll try to do something a bit more original :thumb:

16. bulldogjeff

Oh no Zoon, not a Lian li !! You should be taken out into the woods and tied to a tree so the crows can pick your eyes out...lol

Last edited: 30 Dec 2010
  17. Zoon

Not just any Lian Li, its a V1000plus in silver :p

I am doing at least one thing I've almost never seen done before though, on anything, let alone this!

Last edited: 31 Dec 2010
  18. jhanlon303

Leave it stock?:duh:

john

19. bulldogjeff

And while you're at it ,don't braid the cables or even make any effort to hide them or tidy them up, then make sure none of the bits fit properly....Oh no, wait a minute, thats a Dell.:duh:

Mod on zoon:thumb::dremel:

20. Zoon

Haha you guys!

Sadly I've already fit one stereotype - I increased the cable hole on the bulkhead :p

I was thinking of getting some alu and chambering off the motherboard section entirely, routing cables behind it, using two 5.25" drive bays as an intake funnel, and cutting a window above it, lighting it blue with fluorescent braided cables and power plugs .... gotcha :thumb:

I'm actually leaving it as close to stock as I can, a couple of stealth-ish changes to suit some extra functionality I desire.

There is a small chance I'll powder coat the whole thing but that's fscking expensive so its almost definitely going to stay silver.