1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Monster2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by PabloFunky, 19 Sep 2010.

1. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Wow. Nice!

You sure you have enough USB ports there? :D

2. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Yeah, quite a few usb eh?, but i think would of looked odd with any less.

The width of case is 310mm

may be too late, but i wanted to have artworked, the last 2 as usb charge ones.

not sure what the temps are supposed to be on the nb on a ud9, this board seems run hotter than the ud7.

ambient is 20, nb running at 46c, not going above 54 on load?

cpu temp also 2c hotter than on the ud7.... May need a little reseating of the cpu waterblock maybe.

One thing is the eist speedstep or whatever you call it dont seem to work right on this mobo?, always locked at the 2.80g of my i7 930, bios is eist enabled etc etc, so not sure whats going on, worked ok on ud7.

oh well its about the case really, not whats inside it i suppose.

I really hope this ud9 mobo is upto running MSN ok.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2010
  3. flaming_goat

flaming_goat What's a Dremel?

why have you used individual cables for the usb ports? Is there a reason not to use a hub?

Will there be enough space to plug them all in on the mobo?

4. PabloFunky

Initially i had intended to use doubles usb, but getting ones with long enough leads was a pain.

Also getting douyble moulded ones in vertical orientation seems impossible (well ive never seen any)_.

had made a circuit board up, to see how that would go, but pcb mounting, not enough mech support i felt.

Also would of been some issues with mounting them professionally onto front panel.

bottom 12mm ally panel is milled out to allow clearance and usb plate slots into milled front rear to sit right.

So was always open to design suggestions etc, but this way worked out the best.

first 4 usb can come from mobo header, another front 2 can be the usb charge ones on the ud9s header.

I was gonna buy that NXT usb expansion hub internal thing yes, that would of then given me all 8 usable.

Initially i had the ud7, but ud9 allows 2 more ports.

if i had say 6 usb on front, it may of looked odd, really i needed to tell artist to colour mark the last 2 usbs as charging ones.

if id known at time, i would of had it silk screened along with the rest.

However all theese little things have been noted, for the build of Monster3.

always happy for comments good or bad, only way i can improve things.

5. Ripitup121

Ripitup121 MMMMMMm watercooling....

Wow man, :jawdrop: Savage Mod, I love the "FIRE-UP" text under the power switch. Great Job:thumb:

6. PabloFunky

Thanks, Yeah, i always wanted to have this screened onto my panel, so wasnt gonna let it go by on this case.

Artist said that when prepping front panel may loose screened text..

Im like Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

he said is easily capable of reproducing it, hes a freehand artist, which is what i want, to avoid clinical style, however he was saying that has got a stencil cutter he uses if really needed, which may be the option here.

I dont want him going too arty farty and spoiling the plainish look, but hes been good in past, so should be fine.

Im so tempted to ring him everyday, saying is it done yet, but i know he hates that, and i dont wanna rush him.

Ive seen i can now replace my ek d5 pump tops with white ones, do you think that will look ok?

Im trying to get everything either blue or white you see, with gold fittings.

7. PabloFunky

right got 4 d5 tops in white to replace black ones.

Well not sure if i prefer black now,, typical, but not gonna change back, and it suits the colour scheme, perhaps when everything is blue/white will be better, also my photography isnt too good.

I think if rear of pump/housing was blue would be good

if i powdercoat the screws white or blue, should look loads better, the black screws dont look right unless the build was black/white.

Opinions welcome.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 down 3-4 to go

8. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Pidgeon poo internals.

Get the copper parts of your HK 3 nickle plated, or gold plated ^^

nub.

9. PabloFunky

Nickel,, ,hmmmm shiny but crappy, gold palte may be a good idea though.

5014 Is The best.

what is this nub?

10. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

You is :D

Why not get a load of cheap fittings, strip them down and gold plate them if you want gold fittings?

11. PabloFunky

Pointless, gold fittings readily available matey, got loads.

I prefer the look of the copper to nickel plating also

looked up nub, its not a word, sorry, so cant understand what the hell you are on about.

your welcome to come round and fit the other pump tops for me though.

I should be going out to powdercoat today the bits that are sprayed and are beginning to wear.

Now if i get everything in white will be £20, however a second setup cost if i want some parts in 5014 blue, plus what i said id pay mate to take it over in his car for me.

as i want bits p[owdered ready for Monster3 also.

however pc is running and loving me ud9

12. BearJew

BearJew Novice Artificer

This case is great looking and well thought out to accomodate all the cooling you've put in. Well done, it's a piece of beauty.

One question thought, i'm planning my own build and was just wondering what the dimensions where on your i/o cut out and pci cut out on teh back plate?

13. PabloFunky

Thanks, fair time in the planning for sure.

Well i made the rear plate based on i/o part, based on an old one from an 7 pci case.

Was made from 1mm ally, and folded,

If i find some spare time, will measure it up for you, but i think someones done a sketchup model already on here somewhere?

and someone made one from solid billet.

14. BearJew

BearJew Novice Artificer

Cheers for the response, i made a thread earlier about the same problem and two people replied giving me all the answers i needed, but thanx for taking the time to respond. =)

Again excellent build ^^.

15. Infiniti

Infiniti i modded the wheel!

awsome looking build ya got here!! kep it up buddy :D

16. PabloFunky

Thank you, waiting on artwork, but not want to bother him yet.

Pc seems working ok, although i seem to have a bit of cap whine, or feedback from psu or something, its not loud, but when you focus on it, its a little annoying, not too good for a £400 mobo eh?

unless its coming from pumps, which i doubt.

ooops just seen ud9 now £50 cheaper, dam how much profit must be made on theese things, to be able to do that

till next update.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2010
  17. PabloFunky

Ok, ive spent along time getting this case the way i wanted it, precision making most parts,

I really didnt want the artwork stage to spoil it, but have been really happy with my artist.

Now im Really reall really happy with what pic he just sent me.

He gave me a teaser, as other panels almost finished also, hes even going to recorrect a speeling error on the front panels silk screen (think i spelt auxiliary wrong, american way maybe?

anyway, i will let pics do the talking as whatever i say will not do it justice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what more can i say, apart from im really looking forward to the rest of pics, and am deffo gonna pay for him to bring to me, not to post.

enjoy

18. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

I like tha space in there! Is that self portrait?

19. Dahl1n

Dahl1n What's a Dremel?

Just amasing paint jobb :) nice built to :D

20. PabloFunky

Looks like in pics, its not laquered yet, i normally have to aprove, before laquering takes place, otherwise too late then obviously

The laquer will protect and bring out the gloss shine.

I think it may be a kinda self portrait, as i have met the artist, he may of based it on me?