1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Sui Generis: A Corsair Obsidian Build (tweaking side-panel)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 31 Oct 2009.

1. Devolve

Devolve Deadbeat

Awesome PSU mod, loving the mdpc braid. Planning on doing this myself on a corsair psu (HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH MDPC GRAND BLEU!), but was wondering how much braid you needed in total?

Also, subscribed, love the necron colour scheme.

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Cheers! :)

I've ordered 3 sets of Small green sleeving thus far and 2 sets of SATA sleeving. I still have the majority of the 2nd SATA reel left and about half of the Small sleeve.

Doing all the ATX cables ate through what I got, but I much prefer the look this way. The Grand Bleu is a stunning colour and I look forward to seeing it implemented in some mods.

Thanks Jester for the support fella, always good to know ZiiP is behind me. :D

Well, I got the Blu-Ray Drive the other day, stripped it, removed all annoying stickers, and painted it.

Now, sadly, the spray I had was not exactly perfect, but it had a matte finish, which is what I wanted. Simple thing really.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Assembled.

Again, a simple mod, but it fits into the theme now.

I'll be working on the stealthing over the next few days, but my PhD has me running around like a madman at the moment.

I am also trying to figure out how best to do the SATA power cable and the Molex power cable. I only need 1 of each, but wondering if I should do each cable or just try to just the SATA sleeving to get it done.

The Front IO cables are making a huge dent in my SATA sleeving, so I might not have much of a choice and will have to do the power cables individually.

Also, I need to source black Molex connectors. These white ones look terrible.

More soon.

3. Devolve

Devolve Deadbeat

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Well, I need 4 female and 6 male connectors. I can salvage one male connector from the PSU cables (floppy power cable), but I will have to ask around as I am not paying €15 shipping for parts with less than a fiver :D

5. themcman1

themcman1 is now 110% win

Did someone say Grand Bleu? :D

Have you seen the sleeving subset did in PURE? His molex power cables are the best I've seen to date in my opinion.

Also (in reply to above) I have some uneeded black molex connectors, I think there's 10 male iirc.

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I am pencilling notes right now :D +1 for you good sir!

I am actually going to spray the connectors. No, they will not look as pristine as shiny new plastic ones. They don't have to. This is modding, I am improvising. I'll pick up some plastic primer tomorrow and get them done tomorrow evening hopefully after my labwork.

Mod on Bit-Tech, mod on :dremel:

7. themcman1

themcman1 is now 110% win

Well if you wanted the male ones you could have the six.

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

PM me fella, I may well take you up on that

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Well, got some double-sided tape for the drive to stealth it.

Will be contacting the plastics manufacturers tomorrow to see if they can do the side panel for me.

10. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Just sprayed a bunch of Mole connectors with Primer, so I'll coat them with black tomorrow. Hopefully they look the part. I got proper matte black spray, rather than GW Chaos Black. :)

Busy with a report today, but tomorrow I should get started on cutting the optical bay cover to size to fit the Blu-Ray drive and will test to see if I get the panel to stay on successfully. If the double-sided tape doesn't hold well, I might just superglue the damn thing. Just need to rug up the eject button.

I am also trying to whittle down the last components lists now.

The next batch of items will be the CPU, RAM, HDD's and SSD. The graphics will come in December as I am waiting to see some release about Fermi. I am holding my breath a little and hoping they have something to blow ATI out of the water again, but this time around, they will be hard-pressed to do so. I am slightly gutted about the 930 coming out Q1 2010 as I reckon it would be the same price as the 920...

Here stands the remaining components list:
    Intel i7 920

Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600

Samsung F3 1TB (x3)

Corsair Extreme X64 SSD

With regards the Monitor, keyboard and mouse, I am looking towards the Dell U2410, Roccat Kone and Valo. I have contacted Roccat, but it remains to be seen if they will get back to me.

11. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Been a distinct lack of progress with this. Just trying to figure out the last few details of the sleeving. Kudos to SubSet7 for his input on the temperature monitor sleeving.

However, I did manage to get the Blu-Ray drive stealthed today. I'll through up a video tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    Attached a bit of the shaft of an Orks choppa from my old bits box onto the eject button ...

[​IMG]
    Industrial double-sided tape cut to size and attached to the tray...

[​IMG]
    Attach the optical bay cut-down cover...

[​IMG]
    Bingo, wouldn't know the difference.

Happy with it. Sadly, I won't have a chance to work on anything more until the end of the coming w

M7ck likes this.
  12. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

:((
    i HATE work pcs!!!!!
    i cant see the pics :(
    ill have to wait till i get home

13. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Well done on the stealthed drive, perfect!!!!

Kudos to you and some more rep.

14. disturbed13

Very nice btw :D

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Sorry about the lack of updates recently. PhD paperwork has been catching up with me!

Hoping to order the CPU (i7 920), RAM (DDR3 12800 6GB) and HDD's (3 x 1TB Samsung F3's and 1 x 64GB Corsair SSD) within the next couple of weeks.

Then it is a case of figuring out what GFX option to go for.

It is starting to look like this may slip into early next year for completion. I had originally hoped to have it done for christmas. Damn real-life responsibilities :p

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Well, I've decided to scale down the HDD space for Sui Generis.

I've just ordered 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 drives, so hopefully will have them by the end of the week.

I'm looking at getting the Corsair Dominator GT PC3-12800 6GB kit next.

The CPU and GPU are now up in the air with Fermi closing in and the replacement for the 920 due soon too.

Do I wait?...

17. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

That case is coming along very nicely my friend! These Samsung drives are really fast I am going to upload some benchies on my worklog so check them out! Mod on man you deserve mad probs!

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Cheers Angel.

I'm going to remove the cables from the front-panel connector for the audio and mic as I don't need them at all and they are so insanely long that they are eating through my sleeving (or what is left of it). I just have to figure out how best to sleeve the SATA power cable to reach the hot-swap cable. Awkward and fiddly. not having the wires colour coded is having a downside :D

19. disturbed13

no more updated pics?
    oh
    it nice to know that your still working on it tho

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I have 2 more cables to do, when I'll actually get a chance to sit down and do them, I'm not sure.
    Once they are though, I'll post up the final sleeving pics :)