1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Sui Generis: A Corsair Obsidian Build (tweaking side-panel)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 31 Oct 2009.

1. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Well, finances have come through at long last, well over a month overdue, so I will be looking to get my hands on some more parts, hopefully the CPU and RAM at the very least. If I can swing it, I'll get the Dell U2410 as well :D

2. Devolve

Devolve Deadbeat

looking forward to see some progress, cant wait.

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Thanks for following, didn't really expect anybody to do so since I am not really doing too much to the case :)

Trying to decide between the Corsair H50 and the Titan Fenrir...

Water cooling would be great to do, but it is just too expensive to do straight away :(

4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I think the Corsair H50 would look a lot better in your rig mate, keep it nice and dark.

5. Devolve

Devolve Deadbeat

im not too sure, the h50 is awesome, but i'd rather see some proper WC in this machine if im honest. maybe do the cheap now and later get the proper wc laterz?

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Oh most definately!

Crikey, if I didn't water-cool this setup I deserve to have surprise butt-shecks!

The case is designed for it, the hardware demands it and the look craves it.

UV green tubing goodness will be done once the funding is there. For now I am focusing on getting it operational in time for Bad Company 2 and hopefully the full resurgance of gaming in ZiiP as a whole :)

On that note, the hard drives arrived today. Finally in the land of the multiple terabyte.

Hopefully, I will be ordering the CPU, RAM, GPU, CPU cooler and monitor tomorrow. Then it's simply a case of waiting for those to arrive :)

Going the route of the Sapphire 5870 Vapor-x coupled with the Dell, should be impressive, or so I hope.

7. Devolve

Devolve Deadbeat

Exactly as i pictured it. And im soo looking forward to bad company 2.

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

ZiiP will have a dedicated server up ASAP once it's released, so call around if you're playing it on PC :)

Sooooo tantalisingly close to ordering these last few parts now it's doing my head in. I don't have a credit card and I have the advantage of ordering it through a business, so cuts some costs for me.

The kicker being that Komplett won't have the RAM in stock today and the Vapor-X won't be in stock until the 27th... Next day delivery would be awesome to get in on the BC2 BETA :D

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Gah, not ordered anything today, but maybe tomorrow...maybe. :p

10. el2k

el2k Modder

Very nice project mate, Shame about the lack of WC.

Doing a project on the Obsidian myself within the next month so shall put it up soon.
    Hope it turns out even half as good as this!!

Peace

11. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it. :)

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Right then, some progress!

Ordered:

Intel i7 920

Corsair H50 CPU Cooler (fits the aesthetic)

Corsair Dominator DDR3 6GB C-7 timings

Sapphire Vapor-X 5870

Iiyama Prolite 26" LCD

The iiyama may not be top of the line stuff, but it's certainly a step up from what I have and have experienced, so I reckon I'll be chuffed with it. For €300 I can't really complain. A Dell U2410 would have cost me clost to €600 and that I am not willing to fork out.

The Monitor should be here before the end of the week, but I fear that the rest of the order won't be here until the 1st, which is a bit of a kicker.

Still, it will allow me to try the BC2 beta on this current rig and then see the difference on the new build.

Happy days.

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Everything except the RAM has arrived. I need to sleeve the temperature monitors and once the RAM arrives, this beast will finally live.

14. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

I think this mod is great, especially the fact you're taking your time and its really paying off.

Here's a question, does sleeving your PSU void the warranty? I'm guessing if it goes pop you'd just pull it all off to RMA it?

That stealthed drive is looking pretty sweet, so far great case great mod! Keep it up!

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I'm not sure about the PSU. I was naiive and I just attached the sleeving as close to the actual housing as possible as I didn't pop the housing to truly sit the sleeving in it. Now, this means the end result is not as good as it should be, but I am satisfied with it thus far.

I can only hope that my soldering was ok on the ATX cable and that I haven't mixed any of the wires up or re-attached them in the wrong order. ALL the cables from the PSU (except the PCI-E and ATX) were black, so had to really keep track of what was what.

The modding isn't massive on this at all. A few fans, some sleeving and a stealth drive. I will try to follow through with the side panel mod as well, but when I have the time.

At this rate, I should have the RAM by wednesday (maybe). This delay has really pi***d me off.

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Enough with the text, here's a teaser shot of what is coming this week...

[​IMG]

17. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

*drool*
    just *drool*

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

One ever so slight snag.... I have run out of fan connectors on the motherboard, so I need to get my hands on some adapters, but the only option I have anywhere near here is PC World and they only have the 2-fan splitters. Friend is coming down on Thursday, so might get a 4-way splitter from Maplin. Maybe.

I wouldn't mind getting a fan controller from Zalman, but to get it before the end of the week would cost me €60, which is a bit too much really.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=572863

19. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[​IMG]

Bit of re-wiring going on. I had to the remove the 140mm at the back of the case as the H50 uses a 120mm fan and I had to resleeve that as well as the sleeving on it was cheapo crap.

All the temperature monitors are now done and as such, pretty much all of the sleeving is finished. I don't know if I will do the case fans, I'll see if I have enough sleeving left over.

I'll mount the GPU in today :D

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I just verified with the postal service here in Ireland and apparently the RAM has finally arrived in Cork. So I have to go get it and I will have the machine up and running tomorrow if all goes according to plan :)

Here's a pic of the oh-so-lovely Vapor-X
    [​IMG]

and a comparison shot too...

[​IMG]