1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Sui Generis: A Corsair Obsidian Build (tweaking side-panel)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 31 Oct 2009.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

great stuff naloac, looking really nice. this is exactly the kind of mod i'd like to do someday; understated, cool.

2. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

I really like the front panel on this mod, very cool! :thumb:

3. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

Wow ,excellent job on the cable sleeves,I like what you got going so far

4. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

Those are high temps even at full load and air cooled,What type of thermal paste are you using? Have you unknowingly overclocked, you can also try reseating the cpu and make sure the heatsink is making good contact with the cpu.

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Thanks the comments :)

Given the time, I'll take the CPU cooler off and try to tweak it a little. I have some Gelid GC1 paste that I should apply. The temp probes need to be reseated anyway and I need to replace on of the temp monitors as the backlight has gone on it. The temp probe that is seated on the CPU just reports "LO". The temps I listed are the ones that the Motherboard displays itself after booting.

Unfortunately, at the moment I have neither the time nor the money to order a fresh side panel to even attempt the panel design. *shakes fist at PhD material*

6. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

What material is that case made from? Some cases sprayed with a poor coating can retain heat within the interior,Try running another program like speed fan to deal in your temps.

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

The Obsidian is made from steel with an aluminium front panel. The powdercoating is certainly not what I would call cheap in any instance. Temperatures inside the case range from 20 - 28 at the moment. Through-flow of air is substantial when I have the fans ramped up to max. If I am not gaming, I keep them low except for the CPU and intake fan.

The GPU idles at 32 celcius and goes up to about 65 under load.

8. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

Thats a great case, Im sure thats not the issue,Those temps actually seem pretty stable for being aircooled.I get similar readings in my aircooled case as well. My gpu gets up to 58c when gaming, the MB 34c and the CPU around 40.. depending on the games Im playing.

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Alot of people seem to dislike the case due to there being no solid reviews on its cooling performance and it being made of steel (I'm certainly not lugging it around any more, weighs a ton).

It looks gorgeous though, that's the main thing for me. A new side panel would be $20, but shipping would make it close to $100 for me. €75 on a side panel itself isn't too bad, but it's all the quotes I have gotten from places that would be willing to cut it for me are stupidly high.

I do look forward to having enough to WC it though. The case design screams for it.

Sponsorship would be great, but rather unlikely.

If I can't get a new panel, I guess I'll try the ol' Dremel and try to come up with a goo design for the windowed panel.

10. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

A small piece of LEXON glass goes for about $7.00 for a size to fit that case.You can drill it sand it , cut hole for vents or fans..Might be a cheap idea for the meantime.Use a jigsaw to cut out the side panel and use 3M tape to hold on the lexon..Monstermawd has a great video on how to do this.

11. [ZiiP] NaloaC

The actual window itself I could do myself I reckon, it's the ideas that i had the for text (few pages back) that would be a clincher. If I had OldNewBy' skills, I'd be fine, but sadly I don't have them :D

I should just sit down and brainstorm a little.

Thankfully my brother in law runs a signage company, so getting my hands on acrylic or Lexan shouldn't be too hard.

12. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

Ya the ziip would be difficult to do,and oldnewby is a master no dought,but I think with the right tools you could make a go of it.Im not sure how thick the material is on the Obsidian, but Im sure a good rotary tool and some files should to the trick.

13. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

most of it is 2mm steel by my experience
    in some places they folded the steel back so it can be up to 4mm thick
    the only thing that isnt steel is the front face
    which is aluminum
    its a very sturdy case