1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Sui Generis: A Corsair Obsidian Build (tweaking side-panel)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 31 Oct 2009.

1. Devolve

Devolve Deadbeat

Good stuff, gonna be ready for BC2. You been enjoying the beta at all? Make sure to let me know where your server is when its up.

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I have the RAM in my hands now and just going to start to put this all together....

Now, where's that extension cord....

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Holy crap the Hotswap was giving me headaches. Nothing to do with the design, but due to my own stupidity. I seem to have mixed up the order of the cables whilst sleeving and the HDD's weren't being detected.

Re-installing now and everything should be ok. RAM is up to speed.

Once I have everything installed again and running and the cabling re-done, I'll post the pics up.

I had it running last night for a while and I was damn impressed to say the least :)

4. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

thats good to hear

5. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Good to hear the build is almost done! Come on buddy I want to see some pictures!!! :) I really love the green + black combo! I might do a combination like that in the future! :) Mod on bro!

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Well now,

I sorted a small HDD issue, it was just a loose SATA cable. Need to tidy the wiring at the back of the motherboard tray a little and the side panel is bulging a tad. Damned fan splitters. really need to find a good Fan controller.

Here are the current final shots. I need to trim the fan fittings down and she's neat as can be :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not a perfect build and I suck at taking photos. The damned thing is so heavy to lug around that I am not too keen on trying to get it downstairs into the sun to take photos. Maybe at a later stage when I have more time.

For now, these are the best I can do.

Running like a dream and in gaming valhalla :thumb:

Thanks to all for their input, following and support.

Big shoutout to RapidPC's who helped me with the RAM when I was stuck.

Also to the [ZiiP] Gaming Community who helped alot in the input and thoughts with the case.

And to everyone here who showed an interest in this simple build. I never thought I would get this much feedback, let alone this many view! :rock:

Thanks again, Mod on :dremel:

ModaRobby likes this.
  7. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Awesome build mate,glad to see that you finished that beauty, can I marry her ? ;p
    Mod on brother and I would like to see you modding again soon! Peace! :)

8. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

Great job..
    Looks really good & well worth the wait.
    The cases are amazing & having one myself i know how massive they are..

9. el2k

el2k Modder

That is NEAT! Mr cable tidy himself would be impressed.

10. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Cheers. The design of the case really does lend itself to it. Best case I have ever had. Thermals are nice too.

Internal temps are about 17-18 degrees Celcius.

11. el2k

el2k Modder

Yeah man i have the case myself (not put my parts inside it yet though!) but it does seem very very nice and i haven't found anything to pick at yet!

Those temps are cooler than cool! Get clocking!

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I have no need to clock yet (read: I don't have the balls to start tinkering with stuff this expensive :D ).

I have the Corsair H50 on there. In sleep, it's about 20 degrees, Normal operation; 30, under full load ~45.

These would be lower, but I think I mounted the temp probe incorrectly and it only displays "L", so i need to tweak that. Those temps are read from the LCD post display on the motherboard (lovely feature I have to say).

Still need to tinker with the layout, fix cables at the back, tidy rubber fan holders etc.

Unfortunately, I need to replace one of the LCD temperature monitors as the display seems not to be working anymore. Some crap must have gotten into it when I modded the facia and placed it back or it was damaged in transit. I can only see the values from an angle and not all the digits are visible.

13. el2k

el2k Modder

I kind of understand where you're coming from, Me and a friend fitted my waterblocks to my NB/SB and Mosfet on my UD7 last night... its only a £280 motherboard but lets just say me arse was a bit tight when unscrewing/un-clipping things. hahaha

Sucks about the LCD displays, At least it gives you something to do :)

14. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Isn't their just a sexy quality to red/black, blue/black, and green/black mods?

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

High contrast between them and with the right amoun of colour, they "pop out" just enough to add to the overall look, rather than be overbearing :)

But yeah, basic 2 colour schemes are nice.

Boddakers Trident build was a great example of using basically 2 colours, but implementing loads of shades to a fantastic end result.

I still need to tweak this build though. I don't think I have the H50 seated right. The Motherboard POST monitor is showing a temp reading at idle of 30 and CoreTemp is reading 45!!!!

Last edited: 18 Feb 2010
  16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Anyone here from Ireland who might know a company that could laser/water cut the side panel?
    Trying to source someone who might be willing.

Another option being to wait until the 700D is released and see if I can get my hands on a spare side-panel and make a custom window :D

17. el2k

el2k Modder

What is it you don't like about the current side panel?

18. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Dont corsair sell solid side panels for the 800d?

EDIT - They do, linky I dont know about postage costs to Ireland but this way you can have a panel cut to suit your needs.

19. [ZiiP] NaloaC

It's not a case of not liking it, I just want to make it a bit different is all.

I want to have the [ZiiP] logo on there with green backlit acrylic to the right of the window.
    Cutting out a window that did not show the PSU compartment would be nice (so that one would not see the debacle I made by not opening the PSU housing.

Just checked, the shipping is twice the cost of the panel :D

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

This is the rough idea for the logo.

[​IMG]

Since the side panel is only 1mm thick, I need 1mm thick acrylic and the only thing that seems to be available is lexan. The block on the back is 6mm green acrylic. This will have 4 molex-powered 3mm bright green LED's put into it to give the glow.

The logo will only be about 10-15cm long, nothing too distracting.