1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Videocardshop: Absolute Mess

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Madness_3d, 18 Mar 2011.

1. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Would just like to point out that, Scan have replaced my i5 750 once and then refunded me the entirety of what i paid the 2nd time it went wrong, no questions asked no fuss!

Also Ebuyer refunded my external HDD without fuss just one phone call and all was done so thats another 2 cases of full refund!

2. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

As i was leaving the PC i had a thought! I think we should stick a poll at the top of this thread with "Would buy from VCS" and "Would not buy from VCS" and just see if it has any affect on their response, surely seeing maybe 100 people saying they would not buy from VCS has to have some impact!

3. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

I do not for one minute think this company is concerned about what customers think of them.
    If the business selling graphics cards drops off due to adverse publicity they will move into another area of activity.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Nope. When a credit card company cancels a card transaction it means they take the money back. Usually the person or company from which they take the money back can defend itself on the "bank court", but i don't see how can they get away with it. In my country there is no such thing as "moral value" of the item during warranty (only for cars, and even in that case only for insurance claims) - if it breaks it gets replaced or refunded in full (buy price), and the choice is on the customer. And it seems that it is same in UK, just someone didn't get it.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

In a nutshell yes. Under Section 75 if you made a purchase for a single item to the value of £100 or over then the credit company whose card you used is jointly liable should things go wrong. It's why I always push for people to use a credit card for expensive PC components. You get so much more protection that way! Never ever use a debit card, things get so much more complicated.

6. faugusztin

@Blogins: the shop usually doesn't get away with it. The credit card company will put a claim on shop credit card account when the credit card company return the money to customer.

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Yes, but that tends to be with short term transactions. Since it has been over 6 months it's a little more complicated. The Credit Card company tends to lose out generally speaking. There has been ruminations about the CC companies trying to overturn Section 75 since it's undermining the overwhelming profits they're making! :D

8. Sunrise

Sunrise What's a Dremel?

Strange, I've had a few cards from them and never had a problem.
    I also can't help but thinking I have read on forums horror stories about places like scan and ebuyer who won't honour warranties or give almost impossible hoops for the customer to jump through. All I see here is a company who seem to be honouring their obligation to a customer and I'm sure a lot of people deep down will think the same ... but hey maybe it's not cool to go against the crowd, either that or many think it's funnier to keep egging someone on and winding them up.

Also having read some of the OPs other posts and signature I personally have no doubt that the cards were all attempted overclocks and more likely became faulty through that!

I'm slightly surpsised by how Bit-Tech operates in all this ... allowing such a one sided witch hunt without at least once ensuring that what is said is fair on both sides.

Lastly just to clarify, I'm nothing whatsoever to do with them, I just feel that a pause for thought should be had by all, after I have had nothing but good, no ... exceptional service from them.
    Are they a big company? ... I dunno, Are they small? ... I dunno, but one things for sure .. if they are big then I'm sure they won't give a sh!te about this, but if they're small and this does indeed damage them then I hope they don't have children to feed who now go hungry due to them not being bullied into giving a customer, IMO, something he doesn't deserve.
    Get a grip.

9. faugusztin

@Sunrise: the rules of business :
    1) customer is always right
    2) if the warranty claim is valid (which seems like this case, otherwise they wouldn't have replaced the cards over and over, and they wouldn't offer refund), then there is no such thing as current market value. There is either no refund (but then they have to give him a working card) or a full refund. There is no such thing as "current market value refund".
    3) this is a forum, not a news on a website.
    4) when you run a business, you have to keep rule no1 in mind all the time.

I'm sorry Sunrise, but you are wrong in this case. If they offer him a refund based on the fact that the cards are broken, then they have to give him exactly the price he paid for the card. Not current market value.

10. SoulCleaver

SoulCleaver What's a Dremel?

The Card, the uglyness, the refund

Hi all, just finished reading this MAMMOTH post fest, and it actually spurred me to sign up for an account on this forum to chip in

Personally what I would suggest you do m8 is accept the 120 odd they are offering (plus postage) and move on from it, if this is your only card and you have OC'd then well OCing = death potentially you knew the risks prior and are luckily getting a big chunk'o'refund, if not and you genuinely have not OC'd, and ARE running SLI, confirm the card doesnt FALL OVER in non-SLI 1st, as far as I was aware SLI does not ENGAGE the 2nd card until something demands it, and your comments of issues from startup indicates one of 2 things to me, its either your primary card (try it as your secondary and is your PSU rock solid?) or its your only card and you are pontentially OCing it to get more bang out of it and went a little far

Apologises if it seems I am accusing you of OCing but the screen issue when the machine comes on and the aritifact type images you posted are quite consistant with that sort of thing (I should know I have overclocked at least 50 cards and once or twice pushed a little too hard)

Like the chap just commenting then I am NOT in any way related to any of the company's mentioned, being honest I get all my kit from Scan as they are local and RMA if I ever need it, is relatively smooth (exceptions to the rule is when they have to send it back to manufacturer but that's not their fault)

Best of luck to you fella

11. Sunrise

Sunrise What's a Dremel?

Thank you, I am a customer of theirs.

Of course there is.

?

I'll try walking into a garage and claim their cars are all mine, see if they let me have them!

Previous posts including stuff from Trading Standards suggest you are wrong.
    This shop is in UK.

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Um yeah, calm down old boy!

This is simply about consumer rights and from what I've read Madness_3d does have the letter of the law on his side. I can't speak for the starving kids, but if you want to run a company then you have to do right by the customers you rely upon for business. In my view it is that simple. Years ago I used to trade in all sorts of CD transport mechanisms for various optical readers be it DVD or CD back in the days when it was cheaper to repair. If a fault was ever found we believed the customer and offered a full refund and business was good until it became cheaper to buy new! :thumb:

13. Sunrise

Sunrise What's a Dremel?

Sorry, but I read earlier that they had offered him what his "rights" were, and this entire thing came about because he wanted MORE than what his "rights" afforded him.
    Everyone seemed to lose sight of that and got rollercoasted into thinking he hadn't been offered that.

Nice drives btw.

14. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

are you employed by vcs by any chance?

15. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

My thoughts exactly. He seems to have linked VCS in every thread he's posted in.
    No offence if you're legit Sunrise, but you must realise what it looks like.

16. faugusztin

Bit-tech has nothing to do with this topic. If videocardshop wants to talk about it, all they need to do is create an account - which is what they did. I'm sure this thread doesn't break any of the forum rules, so the mods/admins have no reason to lock it.

You can devalue by the UK "laws" the price of the item based on the original selling price, not the current market price. Even if the item has only 1 year warranty, then even in case he used the card for 6 months they could reduce the original item price only by 6/12 = 50% from the original buy price. They offered him £75 store credit, which is lot less than 89.99 - 50% of 179.99. If the item had 2 year warranty, then the value goes even higher - 134,99.

And this all takes into account that we think only about the UK system - which is not the only protection they have :
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargai...=487339&in_page_id=53954&in_advicepage_id=131

So the first thing, and this applies to UK as well :
    In short - there is no such thing as 1 year warranty in UK. Warranty is 2 year, because you are part of the EU. Maybe you will have to fight for it on courts, but in the end it's 2 years, period.

And what does that directive brings to you as a customer :
    1999/44/EC

Possibilities are :
    1) Repair
    2) Replacement
    3) Price reduction
    4) Canceling the contract

Choice is up to the customer, and canceling the contract means exactly that - the customer returns the faulty item and the seller returns the full price paid for the item. Not the market value.

I know many sellers in UK don't know about this directive, but that is the sellers fault. You as a seller has to give the customer a 2 year warranty for new items (no exceptions) and if the contract is canceled, then the money is returned in full to the customer.

Last edited: 27 May 2011
  17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Thanks, me love speed! :D

Anyway back to the topic! I guess that is the VCS internal policy on what they offered him as the 'standard package' but consumer rights rule over any internal policy or agreement. That is what Madness_3d is quite rightly taking advantage of and everybody is entitled to it even if VCS is trying to dictate otherwise.

18. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

If someone told you your "rights" and you found out they were wrong, wouldn't YOU follow it up?

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

In that case you realise it looks like the majority of us work for SCAN! ;)

20. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

Sometimes I think you do :hehe: