1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors ARGH - This is retarded, 20mpg hybrid!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Mother-Goose, 28 Sep 2007.

1. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Humour me a moment, which GM car is better than a Range Rover for what it does?

2. Raiderfan001

Raiderfan001 I know what a Dremel is.....

That is his opinion...:rolleyes:

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

almost every modern diesel car i know around here has a turbo and an intercooler.....

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

^^^^ EXACTLY!!! THATS MY OPINION!! any car out there eithr i dont like the looks of it or GM has a car that i like better. but with that said there are many GM cars that i think plain suck. small cars are ok for in the city. i prefer a bigger car at any times but dont like small cars on the highway. especially those smart cars.

answer this: would you prefer to be in an accident while driving a smart car or a truck. unless you're suicidal youd choose truck as you'd be dead if you were in a smart car.

about the range rover. not sure what its for exactly but i assume a hummer could take its place and i think hummers are awesome.

now so you know i dont think all other cars not GM are complete trash. some of those really fancy cars are pretty cool but if i had a choice between a brand new Z06 Vette and a brand new Ferarri id take the vette. if i was rich sure i may buy a few of those exotic cars or some old muscle cars that are not GM but basically GM has all the cars i could ever need. i could have hundreds and hundreds of awesome cars going fomr the 50's up till now and wouldnt be unhappy with not having any non GM car.

why no turbos? dont know. i dont think they are necessary. they can make horsepower without them. i can only imagine the power the american cars would have with all those turbos.

to me i dont care what other cars are sold the most. dont care about what cars other people like. that is their opinions. not mine. i choose what cars i like and not like cars. people bashing the cars i like aint gonna change it.

where i live diesel is cheaper. not lots but it is a little.

for people who say american cars are not reliable (maybe hasnt been said in this thread but i hear it often) we have an old 350 c.i. engine in our garage that will be put in a car next year hopefully and that engine has at least 500,000 kms. and it runs perfect.

i hear so often about import cars burning oil and having many problems after such a short time. sure that can happen to any car that isnt taken car of but ive seen it with many imports that are taken good care of.

want to know why american manufacturers dont always get good mpg and the prices are too high.

well first of all union forces them to pay workers too much so vehicle prices go up while japanese factories in America dont have union allowing them to have lower prices.

why bad mpg. the government and whatever crap is controlling them. they basically controll them and not allow them to have too good mpg so they can have high gas prices. you really think they arent capable of having good mpg cars? ya right. then how can a 505 hp car get 27mpg (US)?

5. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Typically, but not always, American engines are larger and detuned, in order to be more reliable and to meet emmissions regulations.

On a side note, I bet the "505hp 27mpg" Z06 doesnt actually get 27mpg when its fully utilizing its 505 ponies ;).

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/smart_city_coupe_2000/29.aspx

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/jeep_cherokee_2002/124.aspx

a 2000 version smart versus a 2002 jeep cherokee..... the difference is not that big... if you don't count the truck as a pedestrian killer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s and remember this classic :naughty:

7. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

No.
    http://video.motoringtv.com/video/kenzie/2007/feb3-kenzie-sm.mov

There are basic laws of momentum and physical properties of large chassis frames that make them less protective in a collision, as well as less likely to avoid a collision. Common misconception.

8. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Plus if you got hit by another smart it wouldn't be that bad, if you got nailed by an SUV you're going to be at the pearly gates.

You clearly aren't grasping the principle of this are you. Anyone can make an engine that's big and produces horsepower. However we've evolved from that and realised that you can have a smaller engine that produces less emissions YET produce the same amount of power by putting a turbo on it, not even a big one at that.

And the beauty of the turbo is that it is adjustable AND only kicks in above a certain point in the rev band, so you get the power when you need it (to get you moving, if you're towing) and then once your cruising at under say 3500rpm, it won't be engaged. (this is just an example).

I also don't understand your auto boxes, most of them are still 4 or 5 speed unit's right? Why?! 7 speed units are becoming the norm over here and are again more efficient, and allow greater access to the power.

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Range rover is a luxury high end suv, used to be made by the same people who make Land Rover Defender a proper go any where off roader, not an armor plated monster truck, ala hummer. Oh and both do mpg not gpm

Only GM i every had, the pistons went through the head, that was an 6 yr old Vectra, My 12 yr old polo i replaced it with was infinitely more reliable and much simpler. Most American cars seem simple low tech and quite brutal 1970s technology, the rest of the world has moved on mostly due to increased oil price and densley populated cities you only have to look at california to see the effects of decades of inaction. But the point is the rest of the world is living with the effects of the US addiction to oil, the ozone hole over Austalisia wasn't caused by the locals. It was caused by Europe and North America, at least Europe has tried to do something about it.

And Germany is such a third world country that labour is dirt cheap there!
    The government sets the minimum efficiency, you set the maximum efficeny stop bleating about government legislation and vote with you wallet buy an efficient car and the car co's will make more efficient cars they make cheap inefficient cars because that's what people want not because the government tells them to.

much the same way you can get 25mpg from an actual racing car
    Porsche 911 GT2 by fiddling the numbers

try this since your so GM friendly

Last edited: 9 Oct 2007
  10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Amon, Mother-Goose and steveo_mcg are completely correct.

and i want to add the inherent instability of an big truck compared to a smaller and aerodynamic car..... and the amount of momentum you have to shift when you are curving.....

and steveo_mcg that car is bimp

talladega, my parents usually told me to think before i spoke.... i think you should use your right to think and simulate and use google to find more about compressors and turbos..... they are the futu... the present.

11. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Canada can't govern their own automotive industry for sh**. We always adopt American legislation regarding almost anything involving automobiles: from crash safety to especially vehicle emissions. But America refuses to adopt anything environmentally progressive for the automotive, or have a habit of vastly overestimating their boundaries... so we're stuck.

To revisit the fuel efficiency furore: http://video.motoringtv.com/video/kenzie/2007/dec10-kenzie-sm.mov - should automobile pollution really be a concern?
    http://video.motoringtv.com/video/kenzie/jul22-kenzie-sm.mov - the advantages of diesel, and how it can be partially synthesized.

12. Mother-Goose

The thing that seperates Canadians (citizen's, not politicians), from my experience, is that they are aware of the problems and full aware of the solutions, the majority of the americans I have met are not, or actually think they need a 500bhp truck for the occasional piece of towing they do.

A 3 litre diesle Hilux (for example :)) will be ample for nearly all towing duties I'd imagine?

13. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

im sure most GM cars would be fine taking the kids to school in chelsea.

14. Mother-Goose

It deppends, are we talking american GM or European GM, there is a whole world in quality difference (and yet the European ones still aren't rated highly)

15. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

you still cant understand im stating my opinon. i dont care how effeicent or how any other car is made. it doesnt matter to me. i love GM cars and thats all there is to it. to ME they are better than any other car. i dont care what anyone thinks. i dont care about you explaining all that stuff to me trying to make me sound like a retard.

you want to get upset about emmisions then go to China and complain there. i'll be driving my muscle cars which i like and you can drive the cars you like which in MY opinion suck. there is no facts saying one car is better than another is every way. everyone uses a car for different reasons. MANY people get vehicles that do not suit there driving habits but if they liek the vehicle then who cares.

watched that video of smart car crashing. sure the car stayed intact well but that doesnt mean the person would. its better to have a car than crumples and takes away energy than a car than stays totally intact as the forces will be put on the person instead.

why do they make formular one cars to totally disinegrate basically when they crash. its so the forces dont act on the driver as much.

you are right the car does not get 27mpg when using all 505hp. but no car will do good mpg when you are using all of its power. IF it has power.

dont know how many speeds there are in cars now. i know the vette is a 6 speed. i dont really like many or pay attention to new cars except the vette. so i dunno.

so what do you think about Saturn? that is a GM car. but they are not unionised which makes big difference in how they can make cars.

i aint talking about european GM cars as im in NA and have no clue about them.

never heard of a vectra. probly a piece of crap. :)

if it werent for the us military being a bunch of idiots with their trillions of dollars of debt and using all our oil then people wouldnt be all concerned about emmisions and using gas and all that as i wouldnt be a problem.

remember just cause i liek american cars better dont mean i agree with all that garbage the US does even though i think its a great country. if they didnt waste all the oil with their military and make false reasons to raise oil prices itd be much different. but this is how it is. itd be nice to switch all vehicles to ethanol or something like that.

oh and i cant vote. me not 18. :) and it not the canada gov't that is ruining it all. it the US gov't. w/e they aint gonna stop me from driving the cars i like.

i dont get why you guys are making a big thing about my opinions. why are you so obsessed with trying to prove my OPINIONS wrong.

i dont care about getting 80mpg. if i can afford a $20,000 car i can afford to get 27mpg. i dont care about turbos and what they do. i like the engine in the corvette just the way it is. i love the sound of it without any turbo on it or anything else. and there are some (maybe even alot) of american cars with turbos but as i said i dont keep up with new cars. i just know what cars i like and which ones i dont. i dont care if there are vehicles that can do the same things as the vehicle i like and does better mpg. it dont matter.

stop trying to convince me im stupid. i can argue about this forever but its pointless. no one will ever be wrong in what cars they like and why they like them or drive them.

later... have fun. :)

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I think you've crossed the line from fanboi to cultist there.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion (religion?), but I'm not sure you'll find much agreement on it.

17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Not trying to tell you your stupid, only tryingto help you relies there is life out side of the US. But i fear you may be another lost cause, go buy your muscle car and you trailer to tow and well see you in a couple years when the oil runs out and you need to see what the rest of the world is doing,

ps Vectra = Peice of Crap = GM

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

talladega the smart does crumble in a very controlled way.... a big truck normally does not.... they are made to be robust.

do you drive or pay for the gas you use? its not a question of emissions.... its a question about your wallet and your safety..... let me make a simple analogy..... the gas you use in one week using your beautiful corvette (i also like the corvette) will let me drive my BMW super car during about 3 weeks.

have you ever heard a turbo firing when you are at high rpm? now put one or 2 (one for low rpm and one for high rpm) in your corvette and it will go to the moon.

anyway, i really don't care to change your mind, i am simply trying to make your life easier, you have much to grow and much to learn, hitting with your head against the wall will make you bleed and make you hurt but it will also make you learn.

Opel or Vauxhall Vectra = Peice of Crap = GM........ rightttttttt.....

19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

argh. i hate this keyboard im using on ps3. it sucks.

anyway no cultist here. im not like obsessed and dont go around telling everyone they shouldnt drive a car cause i dont like it. if they dont drive a car i like i dont care. if they say its better than what i like i defend my opinion and dont agree with them.

steveo mcg - incase you didnt read i said i hope everything switches to like ethanol or something like that.

i dont like having all these different types of fuels. they need to choose one for the future and all new cars use that. of course there needs to be exceptions for sports cars and super cars. but whatever.

actually i dont think ive heard a turbo in person. in videos sure. but i just love the beefy sound of the 427 in the vette.

what supercar gets better MPG than the vette? BTW i cant wait for the new vette ( the blue devil or stingray, whatever they call it) they are using an engine smaller than the z06 has supposedly but with a supercharger and detuning it to like 650hp to comply with some certain regulations or something. its gonna be amazing. and just like $100,000 - $150,000. very cheap for a car that will outperform a car 5 times as much money. thats my dream car which i probly wont ever get.

opel? vauxhaull? is that not just a company GM bought? is it junk? i bet those are totally different than GMs american cars just like GMs austrailia cars are way different.

currently i do not pay for gas. i use my moms car and try to take it easy on the gas to not use too much but once in a while.... :D

but as i said when i do finally buy a car i want my first car to be a corvette. itll cost like $20000. but if i have enough money to afford that i can defenitely afford to pay for gas. its not that expensive here. some where near $1/L CDN or a little under. and if i go accross the border which is 20 min from here after converting everything i save over $0.20/L.

one thing some of you may not realise about why people in US and Canada have big cars and trucks. its cause there are MANY farmers here. and MANY MANY hunters. which i why i like a big car or a truck. not for hauling but for hunting which is in winter with lots of snow. id rather drive a real wheel drive vehicle in snow than front wheel drive. especially if it has posi-traction and studded tires. i can control it much better.

there are times here where we drive in over a foot of snow and id rather drive a car that i can control completely which a front wheel drive i find is not as good for in snow. and for hunting we need room for the dead animal in trunk(u call it boot right?) and if driving off road we need big car or truck.

i know there is life out of US. im in canada but i know what you mean. there are MANY things MUCH better about europe but many things i find better here. one being U.S. (canada not as much sadly) is more of a Christian based country in a way. some ways no with the killing and stuff but many other things here i just find make it so i would never trade spots. no offence or anything and i dont want to start a religion argument either.

so ya. bit off topic there but some things here i hate like how the Gov't controls so much they shouldnt..

20. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

you want to tow a huge 30 plus foot trailer with it? NO. plus many trailers use a fifth wheel hitch that requires a truck. i work at an RV dealership. :)

Tags: