1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows MW2 PC: No Dedicated servers

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by rpsgc, 17 Oct 2009.

1. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I really can't believe they have done this, its such a bad move. But I suppose at least they won't have to worry about PC users pirating it, because they won't want to play it...

I was umming and ahhing about it until about a week ago when I saw a few videos and decided it looked worth it, but now; what is the point, as I'm sure has been mentioned above, without LAN and being able to choose your own server the multi-player for this game is going to suck ass.

2. hrp8600

hrp8600 What's a Dremel?

I want to play on the sever's and with the people I want .
    I dont want to be forced to play with a bunch of noobtube, spam killing rant ,rant,rant..........
    looks like COD4 servers will be running for a few more years.
    I hope people pirate this game and give it away for free at school gates , markets and pubs.
    as its now the only way I will play it now.
    why break THE thing that made COD4 and online pc gaming.
    idiots have forgot who put them where they are and that the customer is always right.
    very sad day for all of us if they dont change there minds.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Rather don't pirate this at all, that would just encourage to do what they are already doing.

Rather just steal every single copy of the 360/PS3 version known to man?

Or use rationality and wait for the damned game to come out, then we'll make the final verdict.

4. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Reading this thread makes me ashamed to be a PC gamer.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Pirate this? I wont even occupy a bit of my hard drive space with this game...

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

you're not :D

jk <3 :)

impar likes this.
  7. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

8. quake1-rules

quake1-rules What's a Dremel?

Read a lot of comments here and one thing that is not mentioned or understood by many people is that dedicated servers are very important to keep multiplayer gameplay consistent and at a low ping. I play several MP FPS games and I have my favorite servers mostly because of the steady connection to the server (under 50ms ping) and also yes because of the mods (like project reality).

Even if everyone is only a cable or DSL connection, that's nothing compared to a dedicated server's backbone Internet connection. Dedicated servers are absolutely vital for twitch FPS games like MW1 and MW2. Also, IW is misleading us or that Bowling guy from IW doesn't even know that dedicated servers are not imcompatible with matchmaking. The two are not mutually exclusive. Dropping dedicated server from MW2 is unrelated, as I see it, from their matchmaking system.

9. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

I find it unbelievable that they will release it without dedicated servers. I'm part of a clan who have been heaviley playing COD4 mainly on our own dedicated servers, playing matches against other clans in our private server. Our Dedi-box costing £100 a month will become redundant if no dedicated servers for MW2.
    I will still buy MW2 in the hope that they will patch it to allow dedicated servers. Just stinks of Console porting and can't be arsed tweaking for PC.

10. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

I don't ever normally pirate games, tv movies etc maybe but not games as you get value from them. But in this case I may pirate as protest for the stupidity of IW to play the single player.

11. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

You're kidding right? I can only understand one reason to support this and that's if the in game browser is sh!t. I for one won't be buying this game

If we're supposed to pay top dollar for this POS, then we should have the abiltity to host dedicated server. I for one hope to have a co-located server up and running soon and I would have run it... guess not now.

FAIL

12. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

And, in the process, completely justify IW in their decision to downgrade PC support. Why can't people see this?

Lets break it down. If you...

1. Pirate the game
      You will simply be validating IW's management decision. They've already bitched about the piracy figures on PC and removing dedicated servers in place of IWNet means that [generally speaking] pirates won't be able to play online. For some reasons, people seem to think that pirating MW2 to "teach IW a lesson" is going to ultimately have some kind of positive effect. Wrong. All you're doing is insuring that future CODs probably won't even make it onto PC.
    2. Refuse to play the game
      A natural consumer response and whilst probably not the best thing you could do, the action that most conscientious people will choose. However, this will also prove to IW that their PC ports are not profitable. Just another reason to pull the plug completely. But, of course, if you're not happy with the features of a game then you probably shouldn't play it - why would you want to?
    3. Buy the game but don't play online
      This might seem stupid at a glance, but a boycott of online play might pan out well. If PC sales are good yet IWNet player numbers are poor, and people are still complaining, then this will put pressure on IW to add dedicated server support as a patch. You're still getting the effect of legitimate protest but you still get to play the game to some degree with a view to eventually getting the online experience we all want, and we're not knee-capping the PC as a gaming platform in the process.

Thoughts?

13. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Go HERE for Petition signing and to post on their fourms. At this writing they had over 86,000 signatures.

Show IW who their real audience is. :rock:

14. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

yeh pirate the game, give them a reason to drop the format alltogether

15. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

eh...

4) Pirates hack the game, put in cod4 dedicated mp source code. And everybody is happy.

16. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

A) It's not that easy.

B) IW are not happy. You pirated their game. PC support is dropped.

Wanna try again?

17. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Who cares about the next one anyway? I'd be willing to bet the gameplay of the overhyped monstrosity would trigger a few choice swear-words.

Especially when IW decide you have to play it on the PC with a gamepad, at 720p resolution, with fixed graphics settings...

18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

While IW may somehow justify dropping PC support from low sales, even though I doubt they will be significantly lower than the would normally be, they must know know that poor sales of this game on PC will be a result, at least in part, of this decision.

As much as I don't want to see IW drop PC support, if all they're going to be releasing is neutered games like this at ever increasing pricetags then I wouldn't mind showing them out the door myself. I'm not going to go and buy half a game in the faint hope that the powers that be take pity on PC gamers, that would be the very definition of selling out.

People aren't necessarily refusing to buy the game out of protest, they're refusing to buy the game because it isn't up to the high standards they expect from a PC game, and lacks the crucial features that the ethos of PC gaming is based upon. This isn't just a blow to the whole community, it's a blow to the thousands of small communities that would be created because of this game, and the friendships that would be forged therein.

19. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

You're very right there actually. And I do appreciate the damage this will do to community gaming, believe me. If Valve had done this to CS 1.6 I would personally have assassinated Gabe Newell. I'm not so much into the hardcore scene anymore but I understand COD4 has just as vociferous a following, so I can totally see why people are getting upset.

20. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

The petition's past 90k signatures, and there's roughly 1 new sig every second. Oh, happy day, Activision.