1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Do you think your projects have an effect on global aluminium prices?... you use so much! :hehe:

Razer2007 likes this.
  2. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

hahaha priceless! well said! [​IMG]

rep

3. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

I love this build - period.

4. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

One of these days you'll join the dark side and gain access to a CNC.

You won't look back :naughty:.

5. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

BEGONE FOUL SPAWN OF SATAN!!!!

n'ere will thee corrupt one so pure!

6. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Every time atilla, every time. I have to go to the hospital whenever you post a project log. Neck brace and everything. All you have to do is read the name Atilla and look at the first page and the next thing you know your picking your jaw up off the floor and you have whiplash. I don't even know how it happens. Your projects are just that @!$%ing amazing!!!

But all jokes aside, this looked amazing from the first 5 pictures (as with every log). You're one of those modders that people wait to start a new project and when you do, they read every page, every comment.

A++ job, will be reading every page and every comment. XD

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:nono: The temptress of easy life CNC :hehe::D after doing things all manual it would seem so freaky having parts that take some time to complete done in a day (not accounting for design time ;)) & yeah I'm sure it would be addictive if tasted :D but wow it costs so damn much for the machines :lol:.

:lol::hehe: But really, Attila seems to have the ideas, skills & persistence to do incredibly excellent without it, I was so hugely impressed with how he managed to do the water blocks, not sure why but I thought he couldn't inspire me more than he already has but then he did it again :D:rock:.

Shaping up awesomely :clap::cooldude::thumb:.

8. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Easy...hah! You have to model + program correctly first.

9. Rapture2k4

Rapture2k4 What's a Dremel?

This gives me so much inspiration. I was planning something very similar to this in my head, but as most of my ideas are, they get stuck there and collect dust. The thickness of the alu is intense, but I do understand why.

Just out of curiosity, what alloy is that and why did you pick it?

This is an outstanding display of ingenuity and creativity. Keep up the stellar work!

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:blush::D I guess what I meant but didn't point out by easy is no hard manual labour like manually cutting & filing all day & instead the studying of cnc programming & operation & all the other technical bits you need to know but once you have that fixed in your mind I'd imagine it would be easy or straight forward, or is it still a difficult challenge even when you know what you know?.

I know it wouldn't be a case of it being easy or hard if the design was slightly wrong or if the machine was set up wrong, it would just be an automatic fail so no room for any error from the user end.

11. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Cutting, filing and sanding are not hard, it just takes the desire and will to do it. Doing this type of work-play- is very satisfying but the real fun is in designing something that pushes your abilities and then pull it off as Attila does. :thumb:

my 2 cents on hand/machine :D

12. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks. :) I buy my files from the local hardware store. I didn't know you can get alu files.

:hehe:

Thanks John. :thumb:

It hasn't lost any of it's functionality. I'll be using it for a long time yet.

Angle grinder, as in the photo. ;)

Haha, I don't think one sheet will even show up as a blip. :hehe: I only use what I need for the job.

Thanks for the rep. :thumb:

I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

Well, this argument seems to keep popping up all the time. I better make my position clear so everyone knows why I do things the way I do.
    First of all I don't buy the line that 'cnc is easy'. I've seen plenty of work here and elsewhere where the parts were machined with cnc gear. I also head over to cnc forums every now and then to see what's going on over there. Although I've never used one of these machines (or even a mill), I do understand what's involved. I know the steps required to get a concept to a finished part/product. It's no easier or more difficult than anything else. Once you learn how to do it, good work can be made. Or, crap can be made to a high standard. :hehe: Don't forget thousands of people operate this kind of gear every day, the vast majority of whom are 'just' machine operators doing their job the best they can with no input on the design side. Now, you can make really cool things with cnc but you can also make very ordinary things too, just like making things by hand. On these forums I've seen some outstanding work done with cnc, 'dark blade' and 'acronym' spring to mind, but I've also seen some very ordinary work too (these I will not name). And, on the flip side I've seen lots of great work done by hand, with power tools or even manual mills, and I've seen lots of ordinary, and plenty of very poor work. How you do 'it' just doesn't really have much to do with the aesthetic 'worth' of what is being made. 'Nice' things can be made in all sorts of ways.

Now, I thought about building my own cnc router for a time and then I started looking at commercially available machines. I still haven't quite given up on this idea but something just seems to keep all of this as 'just a thought'. If I have to carefully design every part in software and do it all so it all fits together, then this will take a long time. It will take just as long as making the parts by hand. What do I want to do? Sit in front of my PC for hours on end, or, get outside, move around, make stuff. I think you get the picture. ;)

:eeek: Welcome back mate. Long time me no look you. :hehe: Hope you enjoy the project and pop by again. :thumb:

Thanks a lot. :) I hope that this project log helps you move in the right direction. I never ask for a certain grade of alu, but the 8 mm stuff is 'Nautica 5083'.

Continuing on with the base or lower tie plate.
    The part is cut and filed in the usual way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it's time to start assembling the main structure. I'll go into more detail here because this may be of some help to those people, like me, who have difficulty getting parts to line up correctly.
    Firstly, the part that has the 'through' holes, that is, the part that doesn't have a tapped thread is marked up and drilled with size holes that need to be drilled for tapping. In this case it's the front bulkhead and the holes are 2.5mm for M3 screws.
    Then a convoluted clamping arrangement is used to fix the two parts together 'exactly' as you want them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see the first drilled holes in the front bulkhead. I will now drill some shallow holes through these into the lower plate. I can only get to the outside holes, but this is enough for now.

[​IMG]

And this will be exactly where you want the tapped holes.

[​IMG]

So then these two holes can be drilled all the way. Remember to keep the hand drill at right angles to the edge.

[​IMG]

Then these two holes are tapped. Here for M3 screws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the outside holes in the front plate are drilled out to 3 mm. Then the part is fitted with the screws and the other two holes can be drilled in the same way to get an exactly aligned assembly.

[​IMG]

Once all that is done, I can get to use my new counter bore set. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And all screwed together for a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the result is a very strong join that will be even stronger when the central plate is fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was having fun with the counter bore, the PSU mounting holes were done.

[​IMG]

Now I just have to think for a while about mounting the central plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Apr 2011
  13. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don What's a Dremel?

i are speechless :jawdrop:

14. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

damn man, where do you get all this aluminum?!? I don't know about you but if I were to buy that much stock material of that thickness it would cost me a small fortune. Hell, I'd probably have to take out a loan! :lol:

And this is looking awesome Attila, stoked to see this starting to come together!

15. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Great grille! It looks fantastic, lovely alu work.

16. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Nice and pro job as always buddy. Can you please give us some prices on these aluminum pieces or some various sizes etc prices? Sorry if I missed that! :)

17. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Awesome work, you really have some impressive skills :)

18. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

oo a new counter bore set :) I love seeing what you do with your new tools man! Can almost feel your excitement from here :D

19. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

really beautiful parts... love to watch how you make them. awsome :thumb:

20. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

HEAVY METAL!

You know you're spending too much time working when you miss the start of a new project by Attila :wallbash: