1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project : Synthetica by AnG3L (Selling most of my parts)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AnG3L, 18 May 2011.

?

Choose which design to follow in order to create the ventilation (page 10)

Poll closed 24 Jun 2011.
  1. 1st design

29 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. 2nd design

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Update no 6 guys and we move on!!

After I embedded the threads into the acrylic corners and fixed them with isopon, I sanded them
    with 150 grit and finished with 300. More sanding and detailed work will follow prior to painting.

[​IMG]

Then I used this dremel bit to clear carefully the threads from the isopon.

[​IMG]

Finished!

[​IMG]

My first thought was to use countersunk screws in the front and back side but then I choose to do the same on all the sides. Cutting the screws in size. After I changed my mind I cut more countersunk screws for the other panels too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Countersinking the holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the 2 other panels I couldnt use the countersink bit due to their different design so I had to file them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached all the side panels of the box. Front part will be the buttons and probably the fan controller but not sure yet, left panel is the dvd-hdd, right panel is the ssd along with their window and back side is the 80mm exhaust fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are the restart and power buttons. I am going to attach them later on 2 momentary switches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I also started my work on the top part which is going to take me a long time due to its difficulty. First I used a thin carton which I folded in two and bended it to use it as my guide for the fiberglass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used two angles to keep the piece in a particular angle, not complete 90 degrees but close to that due to my design.

[​IMG]

Preparing and applying the first layer of fiberglass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also applied some fiberglass on the back side of the curve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached the top piece with cement glue in order to keep it steady for me to work with the fiberglass.

[​IMG]

I took the piece inside my room to leave the fiberglass rest for 12 hours and then I did some more work on forming the top piece in the proper shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added the final cloth fiberglass and finished the main body. The amount of work in this particular piece is unbelievable as the flow that the design has its very difficult as it will have many curves which they must combine with each other flawlessly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment in my worklog it means a lot to me. Till the next time, peace!!! :)

2. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I want to say also that the countersunk screws you see on the box will be replaced as they cant fit as the aluminum is 2mm only. I will use some cap screws and feet on the bottom which they will support the corners too.

3. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

The shape of things to come :lol: Alex just the bottom section would make a beautiful case, very nice aluminum work :)

4. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks bro the bottom case is actually really small for a micro atx watercooled with a big gpu!! On the top of that case it will be the mobo, psu and 2 rads!! ;)

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Arrrr where to begin lol, always too much to comment on in your updates :D but overall it's looking on track & good :thumb:.

Difficult to tell with the upper piece as it's in it's early stages as it always is on early stages of things like this so has a ways to go before we are picking our jaws off the floor :D but the main base part is looking awesome, very tidy & I'm confident in you making it all come together amazing :).

Stars & rep :D

Was able to give stars but not rep lol

6. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks buddy your comments are always so rich and full of kindness thank you so much!!!
    Indeed these are the first stages and things are going to change a lot and off course more to follow and do!!!! Thanks for the stars too my friend!!! :) :thumb: :D

7. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

very nice organic shapes... this will look great at the end, i believe :thumb:

8. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

coming along nicely!

9. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Fantastic Alex, it really is a must see! Well done.

10. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I have to agree with Wayne. the bottom section looks superb. It's taking shape nicely. As for the top I think I can see what way it's going. Still loads to to do but looking good.:thumb:

11. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

talk about a diversity of materials - alu, acrylic, and fiberglass. Interesting.

That bottom section really does look excellent. The rounded off acrylic corners look great.

12. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Organic shapes indeed! ;) Thanks bro!

Thanks buddy!!! :)

Thank you my friend!! ;)

Glad you could capture the idea and how is going to look bro!!! Thanks for the support!!! ;)

Thanks Garry my friend, much appreciated!!! Perhaps I will add some custom made wooden feet too so make them 4 materials!!! ;)

13. ColdzeroTeam

ColdzeroTeam What's a Dremel?

cant you fit M3 countersunk screws in 2mm thick plate? i thought it would be possible...

14. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Those are M8 mate!! ;) The ones on the top and bottom of the case! 8mm 1.2mm

15. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

As i promised here are my results in removing permanent marker lines from clear acrylic:
    The best and easiest way is by using a polisher like this one I used : Brasso

16. HaSLeS

HaSLeS The Observer

... INSANE build :X:X

+5689837298712389 thumbs up lol

17. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

18. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

Your builds are never short of being stellar and epic and I love your choice in materials. I cant wait to see more from this
    Great choice in runing the two ssd as well.:thumb:

19. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

LoL thanks brother!!! :)

Soon!!!

Thank you my friend for your kind words!!! This build will be very tricky due to its design, I am currently working really hard on the main part, hopefully it will come out good! :)

20. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

What you did for the power and reset buttons looks awesome Alex. I really like the custom cut grill as well.